JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last week I almost shot some guy at the quarry.
Just wondering how close was 'almost'? Please do not take offense to the following and think about this. I believe the two following comments did little to help your situation:
"I'm a Marine Corps Firearms Instructor"
I told him flat out if I saw him point a weapon at anyone I would consider it a threat to there life and exercise my legal right to defend them or myself.
As a Veteran I understand and respect the first but you were probably talking to someone who could not enter the service, was rifted, etc. otherwise could not care less. The second could have been construed as a threat. Again I understand your position but again you may have been dealing with someone on the fringe who may not have even been able to legally carry, or even own a gun for that matter and should not have been possessing (or shooting) one anyway. The bottom line is YOU obviously care, and this person did not. Better to have avoided the situation.

Just wondering how close was 'almost'?

As a Veteran I understand and respect the first but you were probably talking to someone who could not enter the service, was rifted, etc. otherwise could not care less. The second could have been construed as a threat. Again I understand your position but again you may have been dealing with someone on the fringe who may not have even been able to legally carry, or even own a gun for that matter and should not have been possessing (or shooting) one anyway. The bottom line is YOU obviously care, and this person did not. Better to have avoided the situation.

Yep. Discretion is the better part of valor. Best just leave. Chest thumping on the firing line with someone you don't really know can lead to some really bad consequences. Just sayin'.

I will have to say that I just set up after a quick wave if I am going to stay there. I rarely do, only if I am taking my nephew who is visiting from out of state and we have time limit, something like that. I do watch for their gun safety from afar before I get out of the truck. Last time I was at my public spot with my nephew, the folks there were blowing up illegal fireworks/bombs whatever. I got the heck out of there shortly after that.
I also ensure that I have two firearms with me at all times, one loaded because if there was going to be some funny business I'd hate for them to have waited until I took my last shot out of my SKS, or whatever... I just keep my concealed on me most often.
Scott

surprised nobody hasn't gotten shot at Browns Camp yet, the way idiots act there it is going to happen sooner than later which is why I won't go near that place.

Yup. I nearly shot someone there for taking aim at their target. Whilst I was down range. Put a ready hand on my pistol and shouted that I'd draw and fire if he didn't stop what he was doing right then.

Old guy too. Should have known better.

I would never approach a stranger at a "public shooting spot". I cannot comprehend the idea of wanting to shoot next to complete strangers. Most of my shooting is done with my wife and boy. Sometimes a friend and I will go. I have never gone with a party larger than 6. My place is about an hour and a half past the Memaloose bridge. I will never go up Memaloose Road, Brown's Camp or Larch Mountain. I go to a place that is so far out, that I have never seen another person or heard a vehicle or gunshot. I will never need to defend myself or my family from a shooter firing next to us at a quarry, because I will never put us in that position. The few times that I have tried shooting at obviously used shooting places, I have left the instant someone else arrives.

Kids that like to go shooting with as many people that they can find, just so they can take photo's of all the guns at one time and tell their coworker at Kinko's on Monday morning things like, "It was so cool! There were like THIRTY GUNS THERE!!! I made everyone pile their guns up so that I could take photos and video of people shooting. One guy had an AR47! That's the same gun I use on Grand Theft Call of Warfare 3!!". Those that identify guns and rate their value and usefulness based on video games should stick to the video games.

Finally, when I am alone in my desolate place, I can have peace and quiet when I choose. I can shoot at whichever target I choose. I can point my barrel downrange without worrying about what the(possibly drunken) jacka** next to me is doing. I can go downrange to put up new targets, examine previous groupings or whatever, without glancing over my shoulder with my hand on my holster. Please be safe, fella's. You can't call that bullet back and quite frankly, I don't want to shoot anybody. Even if I am completely in the right. Kip.

Simply put: I will not endanger the lives of my kids, wife or myself due to the irresponsible actions of another person.

We shoot alone or with people we know & trust. Not everyone we know we trust.

My family shoots for accuracy. That requires not having to worry about anyone else next to you having a malfunction or mishap.

Well, I went up to the mountains today and there were a couple of other folks shooting were I like to go. We exchanged pleasant greetings. They were being safe and we moved way over to the opposite side and each kept to ourselves. We let each other know when we wanted to exchange targets and everyone put their guns down. I unloaded mine of course; don't know if they did the same. We kind of watched each other out of the corner of our eyes to monitor the situation, but all went well this time and eventually we had the place to ourselves. It was a nice afternoon however I will have to find a place that isn't as popular.

My God the world is just over populated... World peace and curing disease is ruining it for everyone.lol. Just kidding. But I am glad I can shoot at my house. Before I moved out of town I never used to stop and shoot if someones already there. Theres plenty of woods out there I guess. It always used to ruffle my feathers when people would pull up where I was shooting and start acting a fool. Actually the best time was when I was teaching my gf to ride my quad in a gravel pit that was marked every 50 feet "no shooting zone" and these morons pull up with two trucks full of people and old pos 3 wheelers. They get out and start shooting and blasting there stereo trying to show off how cool their 3 wheelers were or something, the typical crap tweekers pull. I kicked my gf off the quad and proceeded to drift by them a few times and rock their group and rigs. Loaded up my quad and rocked them again with my dodge on the way out. Made me feel better...

I have always found it is much easier to drive a little further into the woods to be alone than shoot with strangers. I have seen too many unsafe acts to share a range. After having an episode where three guys told me they were going to shoot with my gun after blocking me in, I just don't like strangers. I drove an hour to the woods not the mall. I want to be alone or with the people I know. By the way, having another gun on me helped convince the trio to find somewhere else to be :) I would advise being smart when shooting with others, if they are being idiots or rude, leave. The effort to avoid trouble is well worth staying out of a gunfight. Even if you are justified or were there first, it just isn't worth it.

I have always found it is much easier to drive a little further into the woods to be alone than shoot with strangers. I have seen too many unsafe acts to share a range. After having an episode where three guys told me they were going to shoot with my gun after blocking me in, I just don't like strangers. I drove an hour to the woods not the mall. I want to be alone or with the people I know. By the way, having another gun on me helped convince the trio to find somewhere else to be :) I would advise being smart when shooting with others, if they are being idiots or rude, leave. The effort to avoid trouble is well worth staying out of a gunfight. Even if you are justified or were there first, it just isn't worth it.

They were going to shoot your gun and not ask you your opinion on the matter???? I think if I was boxed in by 3 guys who told me they were going to take my gun to shoot I would take that as aggressive move and probably aim at one of them and tell them I guess we know who the first guy to die will be.

Once I made it clear I was not a safe target for them,they bailed back into their small car and wound it up real fast driving back out the long trail in reverse. Never had to point the gun at anyone but they were less than a second from getting too far past go to start over. I was scared as s**t but I wasn't going to be their victim. Afterwards I was really happy I had managed to process the situation as fast as it was happening and that no one got shot. Even a fully justified shooting will mess up your world.

Kinda related to this topic- proper etiquette for yourself be safe and be prepared!

One of the "problems" with shooting in the woods is if something goes wrong you're usually out a ways. I have a friend who was shooting at a rock pit near the top, passed a group on his way up. He hears sirens and coming down hill finds an ambulance with the group. Someone had left a loaded gun on the tailgate, a girl went to move it and shot herself in stomach. the area has no, to very spotty cell reception. Be safe and know your surroundings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top