JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you consider proper Etiquette from both parties when shooting at a "public" area such as a gravel pit in the National forest. One party is already there and shooting and another group should the second group assume it is alright to shoot there also? I generally ask if the first party minds if i shoot there also and it normally is not a problem. What are your thoughts about this?

My biggest issue is firearms safety. Last week I almost shot some guy at the quarry. He bent over and flagged at least 10 people there with a bolt action. In shock, I say, "Hey, watch what you are doing, you just flagged everyone here." To which his response is, "F*** you, you just got here, we've been here for hours." And that "this is how the quarry is, you're obviously new." Oh and the "who the hell do you think you are?" "I'm a Marine Corps Firearms Instructor" "Why don't you go defend my freedom or something then..." At that point I told him flat out if I saw him point a weapon at anyone I would consider it a threat to there life and exercise my legal right to defend them or myself.

Wave, or say hello, then set up and shoot. No need to ask permission if the site is an established shooting spot. That being said, not everyone seems to have the same 'gun sense', so obviously your gut feeling should guide you. I was shooting at Memaloose and walked out ten yards to stand my targets back up. I did this while some shotgun shooters were standing at the back of their truck 40 yards to my right. By the time I set my targets back up and turned around I looked over to see a clay pigeon in the air and a guy pointing his rifle above my head. I was 10 degrees off their firing line, so they were way out of line. I packed up and left.
Both parties should respect a call for cease-fire, and obviously the established firing line should not be broken.
$.02

My biggest issue is firearms safety. Last week I almost shot some guy at the quarry. He bent over and flagged at least 10 people there with a bolt action. In shock, I say, "Hey, watch what you are doing, you just flagged everyone here." To which his response is, "F*** you, you just got here, we've been here for hours." And that "this is how the quarry is, you're obviously new." Oh and the "who the hell do you think you are?" "I'm a Marine Corps Firearms Instructor" "Why don't you go defend my freedom or something then..." At that point I told him flat out if I saw him point a weapon at anyone I would consider it a threat to there life and exercise my legal right to defend them or myself.

WOW this is why I pay dues and go to a private club. Last thing I want on a day out to enjoy myself is end up in the middle of you to shooting at each other.

Craziness. That's why I found a clearcut as far out in BFE as I could, I can see the only entrance to it when I'm shooting at 300m, and when I shoot at 100 and 200m, I don't need to worry about who comes in. I won't shoot around anyone that isn't family, simple as that. Having been a MOUT and EMP instructor, I know what kind of idiots are out there, and that's even with trained Marines. Having seen some of those 'tards, I sure as crap don't want to shoot within a mile of someone I don't know!

to the OP, I always ask as a temp gauge of the folks at any given shooting area. "Hi, you guys mind if we shoot on the line with ya?" most of the time the answer is "nope no problem, do you need any room?" every once in a while i get "well, its a free country but we were her first", if its me and my buddies we shoot next to em but if its me and my kid.... we go up hill for 45 minutes.

If someone is there first I always move along and find another spot. I am completely distrustful of other people when it comes to being in the wilderness. I don't know anything about them so I avoid them like the plague.

So naturally, I usually dislike anyone else joining our party, on occasion I've let it happen because I didn't get bad vibes from them but I try to avoid it if I can. It may seem like I come across as unfriendly but rather be safe than take my chances.

Thanks for all of the responses. It seems hard to find places to shoot where there is nobody else. perhaps I just need to try harder. When i go shooting by myself I am nervous that I will run into some crazy who wouldn't mind shooting me for my guns (no money, it is all in guns and ammo!). When i take a small group of younger (college age) kids with me like I will later today, I am VERY concerned about safety. However, I have had mostly good experiences with shooting with other parties at various gravel pits. After somewhat checking each other out and talking we have often exchanged and tried out each others guns. Met some nice folks.

Remember the 1986 FBI Miami Shootout.....

For what it's worth... Those bank robbers used to go out to public target shooting locations, murder people and use their cars in their crimes.

So, no, I don't shoot around anyone I don't know.

On October 5, 1985, Platt and Matix murdered 25-year-old Emelio Briel while he was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair stole Briel's car and used it to commit several robberies. Briel's remains were found on March 1, 1986 but were not positively identified until May 1986.

On March 12, 1986, Platt and Matix robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair left Collazo for dead and stole his car

No need to ask in my opinion, if it is public property no reason I cannot be there as well. I usually will observer for a while before unloading guns and gear. That way I can get a feel for the type of shooters that are there. I went to the gravel pit at Browns Camp a month or so ago. It was crowded and I witnessed allot of poor gun etiquette and some down right dangerous behavior. From here on out it will be a private club or desolate location for me and my wife.

Man! With what seems to be an unending list of bad experiences by some of you I am glad I live here in the 'East' I rarely run into anyone else when out shooting (lots of open places in Eastern Oregon) but even when encountering others are in a public area, and about my only experience with this is the gravel pit outside of Sunriver, I have never experienced behavior such as described. Those who use this area seem to be a more mature, respectful lot as opposed to some of the types described. However to answer the original question I would set up and try to be as friendly and accommodating as possible (especially if I was not the first there). Safety is the biggest issue and if I witnesses poor to downright unsafe conditions I would most likely pack up and leave. I seen no value in engaging anyone over safety issues especially if they responded in a manner such as Norm described.

Man! With what seems to be an unending list of bad experiences by some of you I am glad I live here in the 'East' I rarely run into anyone else when out shooting (lots of open places in Eastern Oregon) but even when encountering others are in a public area, and about my only experience with this is the gravel pit outside of Sunriver, I have never experienced behavior such as described. Those who use this area seem to be a more mature, respectful lot as opposed to some of the types described. However to answer the original question I would set up and try to be as friendly and accommodating as possible (especially if I was not the first there). Safety is the biggest issue and if I witnesses poor to downright unsafe conditions I would most likely pack up and leave. I seen no value in engaging anyone over safety issues especially if they responded in a manner such as Norm described.

I was in complete shock. I mean 1) a "hey, my bad" or "oh, I'm sorry" would have ended it. 2) to act like safety rules don't apply because you're at the quarry and 3) the "go defend my freedom" comment. I was so pissed off I was visbily shaking.

surprised nobody hasn't gotten shot at Browns Camp yet, the way idiots act there it is going to happen sooner than later which is why I won't go near that place.

The overwhelming factor would have to be safety. The problem is that so many of the people that show up to shoot have no idea of the concept of safety as it pertains to firearms. Simply stated they are ignorant, not bad. It easier to just leave before the inevitable occurs.

I was in complete shock.
I would be too. Heck, most of the time I cannot grasp the way people respond to any of their anger. Especially when they 'Flip Me Off' on the road because of something they think I did when most of the time it's because maybe I did not move over quick enough for them to get off my tail and pass me at 80 + mph. I mean really, what do they expect to accomplish by 'Flipping' someone off? Someone enlighten me here as I regard 'Flipping Off' as a regressive, childlike display of aggression with no possible, positive outcome.

I have been lucky at public spaces. I usually do go with a group of friends, who are very gun safe, and feel safety in numbers. I guess when a group of 10 or so people show up at a range packing pistols, AR's, AK's Shotguns, etc.. people tend to want to be friendly LOL. The one time the wife and I went alone, there was a guy setup in the middle of the range, 20 meters in front of the firing line. There were also a father son setup on the firing line, we spoke, and both were a little miffed that this noob had setup in the middle of the range. They had spoke to him, and said that he was leaving soon, so we just waited till the noob left, and everything was fine. I always go out of my way to talk to others that are there and have met some really nice folks, (some from here), and have not seen any really unsafe firearms handling. Most have been nothing but nice and safe. I have not seen anyone that gave concern, save a few brass hounds, that were more interested in us leaving our brass than gun safety, but since we are always armed, and ready, even if someone was trying to steal guns/kill us, they would soon regret that choice.

In my group of friends, I always seem to be appointed RO, and everyone who we have encountered have respected the calls.
If for some reason I didn't feel safe at some place, I just wouldn't return there. Like I said, I guess I have been lucky.

After reading these stories, I am going to go out and buy something nice in appreciation for my friend who lets me come out to his farm and shoot anytime I want.
Didn't realize how lucky and safe I am.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads