JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to have a couple more #20 propane tanks to carry me through the winter for power failures and camping. I can get a #15 pre charged at 7-11 for $49. That seems kinda high and it is only a #15.

The other alternative is to buy a new one at Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart or elsewhere. Any one got a suggestion where I can get a couple new #20 tanks so I can take 'em down to a gas station and have them purged and filled?

I've had bad experience with used ones, so new is the route I'd like to go...looking for the best buy or value. Suggestions?

Go to the larger tanks. You can still handle them easy and they do seem to last longer per # than the smaller ones.
I don't know how,but I've been RVin' for years and a 10 gallon will last more than twice as long as a 5 gallon.
Oh and I don't think they are twice as much money.But Home Depot has as good a priced tank as any one.

I should get some real propane tanks. I have about 50 of the tiny ones - don't ask - were nearly free a couple years ago.

Could someone explain what the 'newer valve' is and what to look for? - thanks.

I'd have to store them under a tarp in the backyard. My guess is you don't have to worry about outdoor temps? OK in freezing weather and 80 or so in the shade?

Not sure about the valves, I did get another valve Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!
today at Harbor freight to fill the 16.9 oz canister from the 20lb tank, so now I can refill the small ones or runa small stove off the big from the hose convertor I bought a month ago.

Btw the valve normall cost $19.99 on sale for $17.99 I had a 20% off coupon and a coupon to get a free multi meter with a $10.00 purchase or more, got both items with tax for $15.40 including tax.

Burt Gummer...

The quickest way to tell the difference is, the old valves have a round handle and the new ones
have a Three lobed handle. It's cheaper to go to Costco and buy a new one than to replace a valve, or have one re-certified. I've found, if you take the valve out of an old thank and fill it with water, it makes a dandy 50 yard pistol target.:s0155:

Jack...:cool:

I picked up a few new 20-pound tanks from Costco this year. They were about $28 each. I don't know if they'd have any more lingering in stock, but you might look if there is a Costco nearby.

Peter

one thing to remember is a propane tank has 12 yrs after its original production date, found on the ring by the handle, till it needs an inspection after that it is every 5 yrs...... i have noticed most places that fill them have no clue about this, but i you go to somewhere like amerigas they should be looking

The going rate on CL is about $15 for a 20lb aka 5 gallon propane tank. Sometimes you can get them for less. Often they have some gas in them.

I did have bad luck with one used tank I bought that way. It fills real slow, so I keep it for backup only and don't hook it up to the barbecue.

I should get some real propane tanks. I have about 50 of the tiny ones - don't ask - were nearly free a couple years ago.

Could someone explain what the 'newer valve' is and what to look for? - thanks.

I'd have to store them under a tarp in the backyard. My guess is you don't have to worry about outdoor temps? OK in freezing weather and 80 or so in the shade?

That's funny. I also have a SH*T load of the small canisters. I used them for lanterns and stoves when camping and when I started prepping I just naturally STOCKED UP. I stopped buying them when I realized how much more they were costing me. Now I have a couple of tanks and an adapter (link below) and will use the small canisters for backup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUQAK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I love shopping at Amazon.

These refill kits actually work well. If I stick the small bottle in the freezer for a little bit it's pretty easy to get a complete fill. Hard part is having to manipulate the large tank. One of these, an adapter hose, and a bunch of large filled tanks and you're set to use propane for a while.

Not sure about the valves, I did get another valve Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!
today at Harbor freight to fill the 16.9 oz canister from the 20lb tank, so now I can refill the small ones or runa small stove off the big from the hose convertor I bought a month ago.

Btw the valve normall cost $19.99 on sale for $17.99 I had a 20% off coupon and a coupon to get a free multi meter with a $10.00 purchase or more, got both items with tax for $15.40 including tax.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top