Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Propane heaters for the range?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by GuyBMeredith, Dec 26, 2014.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

I had one sub 30 degree day at the range and didn't really care for the challenge so am looking at propane heaters--Mr. Heater and the larger unit (on sale with $20 off right now). I will be using the heater for either the shooting bays or a portion of the main range at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club.

Anyone have experience or insight?

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Propane heaters are awesome.

I have a couple and they are all great.

Go slightly bigger then you think you'll need and you can always leave it on a low setting.

3. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Which model Mr Heater and on sale where please?

I have a 30,000 BTU residential Mr Heater that cooks most of my basement.

4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I have a double headed Mr. Heater I use on my open sled for steelhead fishing. I puts out the BTU's I'll tell ya!!!

U201491 likes this.
  5. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Which model? The 'Buddy' ones are designed to heat an enclosed area. Not for outside. They do not work in the wind.

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have just used the small hand warmer packets, like from Costco. One in each glove and boot, sometimes one down the back! I tend to have a lot of gear at the range and finding room for a Big Buddy (I have one) would be tough!

U201491 likes this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Tell this winter steelheader they don't work in the wind.... sure it won't heat the boat area but use it to huddle around when ice is forming on the beard ......

8. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

The smaller heaters are best for the occasional hands and face warm up. They're really not going to do much for the bay, and almost zero at the main range. I use the hand and foot warmer inserts. You can find them almost anywhere, but Costco has them by the case at a really good price.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I would suggest a thermacare heat wrap. Those things are awesome! You can get a 3 pack at costco for $15 ish. They stay nice a warm for 8 hours. Then add a couple hand warmers in your gloves. Boom! Your feeling like a million bucks.