JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, where do they think it comes from? Good grief. Not a single had enough sense to realize there is no machine on the planet that could turn a live pig into sausage just like that. No doubt, these folks could not survive.

Unkilled animals.JPG

There was another article last week somewhere online about something else, but in the comments section one person posted about how "farm people" were "immune to animals emotions".

I remembered this when I saw this prank video.

While I don't agree that those of us raised on a farm are "immune" to the emotions of animals, I would say most of us are a lot more practical about the use of animals for food.

Even more importantly it seems, we actually know, from first hand experience, where food comes from and what is involved to produce it, including the slaughtering and butchering of animals to produce meats and other animal products (leather, etc.).

So when a meat eater gets upset when they actually think an animal will be killed right there in front of them to produce the meat they are eating, I just have to think that they are not only woefully ignorant, they are woefully stupid as well (besides the fact that they fell for what is obviously a prank).

Such people will most likely go hungry in a situation where they have to find and process their own food, whether it is meat or not - simply because they have no clue how their food is produced, and they will be very squeamish about it when they find they need to kill and butcher meat themselves.

@rick, you have got to be kidding. I really hope that is on a par with the prank woman who wanted the deer crossing sign moved, because it wasn't safe for them to cross there and they kept getting hit by cars.

I don't think it would make them a vegetarian - they will continue to eat meat - but they might think a little more about where meat comes from. Or not. Most people do not think - they just react emotionally.

People are also often hypocrites. In that regard, the video has broader implications; out of sight, out of mind. People today wonder how citizens in Germany during WWII could have allowed the concentration camps to happen - this is how.

I am not exactly equating the raising of pigs for food with the murder of millions of people by the Nazis, but it is illustrative of the human mindset and attitude. Most people know that what they are eating was once a cute little animal, but they don't want to know how it got from a cute little piglet to bacon or sausage and they certainly don't want to see it happen in person.

Remember that when you think people in general will somehow protest the treatment of other humans by a government.

On the one hand... this video is in Portuguese I think, so it's entirely possible they arn't at all upset by the pig being turned into sausages, but rather the whole pig being turned into sausages.

I am a hunter, and while not as often as I like, am a hands on participant in the death and preparation of my food. I am also very phobic about how food is treated and very selective about what I consider acceptable fodder. the only organs I eat are heart and liver, the other entrails I'm too worried about parasites even when cooked properly.

At the same time, words like "mechanically separated", "partially defatted" and the like turn my stomach and makes for things I won't eat. (I refuse to eat hot-dogs, and I am very picky about sausages unless I made them) I know when I make sausage, that it's only one animal that went into it, I know the health of that animal before it went in there, and in the cases where it's more than one animal (for example, pork and chicken) I know where both came from.

The mechanical food industry really does add a lot of dimension to "out of sight out of mind", as I don't think most people would be comfortable eating the things they do if they knew how they were made. I look at this as a food safety issue, not a pro-vegan screed.

This reminds me of 2 incidences in my young life. I thought I could beat the high cost of meat by buying from a feed lot in Clackamas county, which I did. She was a young heifer around 2 years old. I paid the farmer and told him which slaughter house to send the cow .
I called the slaughter house and said I wanted the beef made into hamburger with 8% fat, he said you would want the rib eye steaks, those would be a good choice and with that I agreed. The farmer was boiling mad that the cost to him was higher because of the hamburger. The second time I bought hanging weight loins and brought them home to cut up, I had no experience with cutting up meat. So I forged ahead and made up steaks big and little, roasts, the same. What a mess with that I learned my lesson and sent all beef to the slaughter house, no more cutting for me.

I for one will never send any meat I harvest or raise to be butchered or processed. I can almost guarantee that, unless you personally know the cutter and request it, or he runs a very small butcher shop, the meat you get back is a pound per pound trade for other folks game. If you don't believe that, just ask next time you take an Elk or other in to have sausage, burger or other processed. We raise and butcher our own pigs, cattle, chickens, goat and process all our game along with that.

Last year I believe we cut and wrapped six Elk, four Deer, two Bear and a bunch of farm raised critters. I know exactly how the meat was cared for start to finish.

The first few times it can be pretty labor intensive, it gets quicker rather rapidly afterwards. I think first time I spent about 4-5 hours doing it all... now I'm down to about half an hour. In part because now I have the right tools, the rest is all having the knowledge on it.

As far as butchering down to steaks and the like. That kinda thing is much easier if you have a band-saw or some other kind of meat saw. You can do it with knives but it takes much longer. Personally, I don't do much steak cutting, instead I butcher it down to larger cuts for roasting, stewing and sausage making.

Bambi piglets!!!! When our kids were little the neighbors had some pigs butchered and the kids watched .
during dinner we had ribs so I told the kids they were eating Wilber"the pig" My son said Wilber tastes good and my daughter didn't say anything and just kept on eating.

thats one of the best things I have seen all day. It is, unfortunately, a skill I need to learn. I can gut the hell out of a fish, other then that. I need help.

I don't think it would make them a vegetarian - they will continue to eat meat - but they might think a little more about where meat comes from. Or not. Most people do not think - they just react emotionally.

People are also often hypocrites. In that regard, the video has broader implications; out of sight, out of mind. People today wonder how citizens in Germany during WWII could have allowed the concentration camps to happen - this is how.

I am not exactly equating the raising of pigs for food with the murder of millions of people by the Nazis, but it is illustrative of the human mindset and attitude. Most people know that what they are eating was once a cute little animal, but they don't want to know how it got from a cute little piglet to bacon or sausage and they certainly don't want to see it happen in person.

Remember that when you think people in general will somehow protest the treatment of other humans by a government.

That's very well said! And exactly right!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top