JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

ProMag aftermarket mags- worth buying or junk?

• Hells yes! Work as good as factory and save some coin!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Hells no! Not even a good paper weight! Factory mag the only way to go!

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
I went through Cabelas last night as I had time to browse. Walked out of the store with a Promag 10 round magazine for my Sig 938. I had read the bad reviews so did not expect much. But, I was hoping that all the bad reviews were the rarity not the rule.

I loaded up the magazine at home and should have taken the rough edge that gouged my thumb as warning. Sadly, I did not. I took the pistol and the magazine to the range earlier today. It fed two rounds correctly from three reloads of the magazine. That is a failure rate so high that I cannot even begin to fathom relying upon it at any time.

I fired off the rest of the test box of ammo with factory magazines and had zero problems.

PROMAGS for SIG 938s are complete and total junk. I will never buy any Promag product again. I have not found their magazine for Rugers to work all that well as they still jam there frequently but way less than on the Sig. I should have known better.

Do not make the same mistake I did and believe that good reviews of Promag products suggest that you may get a good one. If you do, I suspect it it most likely a unicorn.

Last Edited:
My Ruger LC9s would not feed with them. Their excuse was that the LC9 and LC9s take different Pro-Mag magazines. That's really strange because with any other brand the same magazine fits both. I threw them away.

I don't have any Promags so I can't say much about them, but I have become something of a mag snob, as much as I hate to admit it.

I learned the hard way about inferior magazines many years ago when I was first getting into guns. Gun shows were awash with "USA" brand magazines in the early '90s. Ruger wouldn't sell Mini-14 magazines to commoners back then, and I thought I needed half a dozen 30 or 40 round mags for it. A friend and I ordered 10 or 12 of them. Most of them went back because they simply wouldn't function at all. They then sent us more that didn't work. Embarrassingly bad garbage. They were clearly a company that pumped out garbage with absolutely no concern for the consumer.

Hopefully Promag is at least marginally better than USA was, since they're still in business and USA is long gone.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman. :eek:

My experience with ProMags is the vary wildly depending on the platform. The steel (not plastic) 20-round Ruger Mini-14 mags, for me, have run as good as OEMs. I've shot about dozen of them since 2005 and no complaints. Some of the wonder-nine mags and some for mouse gun platforms are fine for the range, but wouldn't use them for carry. The wife has a few for her Walther P99, for example, and they are OK for what they are. And others are completely worthless, will not cycle a single round, and are tossed directly into the trash barrel. I had a couple for the Desert Eagle that were exactly that; total garbage.

YMMV.

Same here, My metal Pro Mag 20 rounders work fabulously in my mini 14, so I tried them for my LC9s, and my P938, neither would feed even the first round, as well as the polymer ones for my mini. Not even going to try any more, waste of money IMO.

I had one if there magazines for a ruger p89.fould be wrong in the version.but anyways order it as a 32 round magazine. After filling it turns out it could hold 42 rounds.it was really hit or miss with it tho.sometimes it was great other days I just tossed it aside.

Factory mags or whoever makes the "factory" mags. Or Magpul products. Nothing more frustrating than a mag that prevents good function. In a few pay periods you'd never know the price difference but you'd regret buying cheap junk years later

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top