Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ProMag magazines- worth it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by bikejunkie, May 21, 2012.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

So last night I purchased a lovely new Sig Sauer P238 HDW for my warm weather concealed carry piece. Of course, Sig being Sig, it only comes with the one magazine. New Sig mags range from $37-$45 a copy. Several places have aftermarket mags from ProMag for $15 or so. My question is- are the cheap mags worth it or are they crap? I'll always use the factory mag when carrying just for piece of mind that it will always cycle reliably, but if I can get by with some cheaper mags for the range that would be great- but only if they work- I don't want to have to fight the pistol to get it to cycle just to save a few bones. What say you all?

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I only bought one promag years ago for my S&W 5906 and it was junk.

If you want good mags for the Sig 238 and don't want to pay the outrageous prices for the Sig mags, just buy some Colt Mustang mags. That's basically what a Sig 238 is. The Colt mags work fine in the 238.

3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

It depends on the gun. I have owned Promags that were junk (Glock comes to mind) and ones that were actually better then OEM (GSG-5 comes to mind). I would read all the reviews I could find on the mag you are looking for and make your own choice.

5. Marz

Marz PDX Member

I havent heard good things but like mwcid said; probably depending on the application.

6. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

I bought a 20 rd Pro-mag for my HK USC (no other real options out there for better than 10 rd capacity except for import Heras which run $130-$150 if you can find em)... and at $40 I gave it a shot. Made it through 3 full mag runs before it decided that it was far to poorly made to even hold another round in it, the super thin metal component that makes up the cheeks that hold the bullets in the mag had given up almost completely so when the bolt came back the mag would empty itself all over the ground. I have since JB welded hardened steel cheeks into the mag and reshaped the feed profiles and now it works like a dream... worth it? ... meh

7. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

I have only used P-Mags in my Saiga and AR. I have had some feed problems with the Saiga (It hasn't been converted yet) especially on the last ten rounds or so. I like the AR P-Mags though, they seem to work better than the AL mags.

Just my $0.02.

Lefty.

8. Cougfan2

Dang! You are more patient than I would have been. I would have trashed it. My hat's off to you!

9. Nwcid

Are you calling mags made by Pro Mag P-mags or are you actually talking about mags with the specific name P-Mag made by Magpul? It makes a huge difference.

I am assuming you are calling Pro Mags "P-mags" since Magpul does not make mags for the Saiga.

10. pdx lefty

Good question, I'll need to pull out my Saiga mags so i can double check. No time tonight so I'll post tomorrow.

Lefty.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  11. Nwcid

As I said Magpul does NOT make a Saiga mag, PMAG® MAGAZINES

12. pdx lefty

Relax, I made a mistake and it WILL happen again as i am human.

"As long as no one is maimed or killed the problem can be fixed" (Me, Steve Warren, 1990ish.)

Lefty.

13. Cougfan2

Thank God. I can now rescind the Mod "Sanction with Extreme Prejudice" order. We're watching! :paranoid:

14. Nwcid

I was never not relaxed. Just posting facts to back my statement.......

15. pdx lefty

Not looking for trouble. If i wanted a fight, i would wait until the next time i saw my wife, holding a broom and ask her to grab me some beer while she was out running errands.

Lefty.

16. pdx lefty

I wasn't questioning your facts when you first brought it to my attention. I just wanted check my mags.

Nothing personal, i just don't trust everything i read on this site or anything i read on the net and will double check for myself.

Back to the OP, i have only used ProMags in my Saiga (It has not been converted yet) and it tends to have feeding problems after the first 20-25 rounds.

Hope that helps.

Lefty.

17. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

In general, promag makes utter-crap, I would not recommend a single product to anyone I know and like. However, if you have a gun that simply you cannot find a mag for (I bought a promag for my SMLE because i couldn't find a real one for a while), the lower cost may make it worth your time. But you may got 1 good mag for every 3-4 you try. Sometimes you can make adjustments to them, but usually that proves futile.

18. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

Another member on this board forwarded me the email where I can call and snag 3 of the 7rd mags from Sig for $99 so I think that's what I'll do. Thanks for the comments- it's good to find out my suspicions are correct without having to spend my hard earned dough on a crap product

19. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Well, Promag has its issues.
    The Saiga .308 24 round mags just need a stiffer spring. Loaded only to 20 rounds they are more reliable than the Uinta mags.
    Now the 10 round Saiga .308 mags from Promag work without any issues what so ever.
    I guess if you really want quality with your mags.. factory is they way to go though.

20. slicediceputinrice

slicediceputinrice SE Portland Active Member

oops my bad, I want to retract my vote for "not even good for a paper weight" I thought the thread was about Pmags, I have never owned a ProMag so I have no clue