JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Rifle: Savage "Hog Hunter" (really like this rifle)

The problem: Butt-Ugly green stock

The project: How to make a green turd shine!

Hog Hunter with turd stock

After a major sanding (400grit) she was ready for paint.

Using Krylon Fusion (textured) paint I give it 3 coats of black and for the indented areas I used Rust-Oleum dark brozne.

From green turd to beauty queen (IMHO lol) Hog Hunter... BTW this was a first for me so don't be to hard on me lol..

P1220136_zpsmnogjqtm.jpg fb5a54fa-5ea4-487d-9506-427c3bc7a781_zpsgckjq3tp.jpg 83cd158b-9be4-4830-8c1f-2f612157f161_zps262inn94.jpg 20160425_155910_resized_zpsalqofeth.jpg 20160425_152850_resized_zpsoflyghsb.jpg 20160425_155920_resized_zpseisdnlkl.jpg

I don't think you did too bad of a job. :s0155:

The next question is, how well will it hold up after a "few" rounds through it?

Good job!

Tks,

I used the black paint before on a number of items in my shop (even on wheels) and it's held up very well. I don't hunt so this will only see range duties and should do just fine. If I did hunt then I would of just left it as is or do a carbon fiber wrap on it.

I don't think you did too bad of a job. :s0155:

The next question is, how well will it hold up after a "few" rounds through it?

Good job!

Last Edited:
Nice. But the stock isn't made out of the same material as, say, your wheels. I'd be curios if/when it will start to bubble and [possibly] peel.

Just curios as to how well it'll hold up.

Again, nice job with the paint combo. I like it. :s0151:

The black paint I use is made for plastic and just so happens to work well on wheels lol.. Did a set of wheels for a friend 3 years ago and paint still looks good on it and so far zero problems with the paint do to heat from the brakes.

The paint

The wheels

Nice. But the stock isn't made out of the same material as, say, your wheels. I'd be curios if/when it will start to bubble and [possibly] peel.

Just curios as to how well it'll hold up.

Again, nice job with the paint combo. I like it. :s0151:

877f84db-2624-433d-867b-48377442c75a_zpsfxt7n8j0.jpg 100_4360_zps9eyvnxsd.jpg

Last Edited:
You didn't polish the barrel:p:p:p. You could tape off the checkering and do it in some plastic cote for texture? Ive done it on a couple wood stocks. I camoed my Ak with rustoleum and its been holdin up pretty good for a couple years now.

IMG_0014_zps115e8073.jpg IMG_0029_zps9781c4da.jpg

I've painted 6 plastic and 1 wooden stock with various spray paints, Krylon, Rustoleum and Brownell's my prep was basically rubbing alcohol to clean the surface and plenty of drying time between coats. I have used the plastic paint as a primer and over shot with enamel in light coats.
The paint has been durable and when it rubs off I just repaint

Looks good.

Kudos to you guys doing plastic stocks. I was leery enough a while back doing a wooden one.

image.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads