JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trigger Guard.jpg

Last Edited:
Not much of a range report..:s0092:
Ccccold 30 Degrees and the wind blowing 15+:s0001:
I got off one test shot. It went bang and the marble came out. :s0023:

I promise to do better when it's warmer. :s0093:

Last Edited:
I got to looking at that old broken trigger guard. I cut a little off and re soldered the broken piece on at a different angle. There isn't any pressure on the join, so it should hold and it looks good.
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Last Edited:
I found some .050 brass sheet at Hobby Lobby and found a Dragon drawing I liked on the WEB.:)
Cutting it out with the Dremel was a trick. A few nicks, but they'll buff out.:(
Now the tricky part, will be inlaying it into the stock.:s0001:
I also replaced all of the flat head screws with oval head. They look better.:s0155:
I'm still looking for a butt plate.:s0093:

Dragon-1.jpg Dragon-2.jpg

Thanks Andy,
My wife is having a foot operation on Friday.:(
I'll have to see how she feels.:eek:
No one here to take care of her but me.:s0092:

The Blunderbuss butt really isn't down to any standard width. I left it pretty wide because I didn't have anything to work to except a T/C butt plate I have and it's too narrow.:)

Your thread is super inspirational, but I lack the faculties and facilities to scratch one out myself. I have a commercial model en-route to scratch that itch though.

I recently got a .50 percussion gun that needed a lot of TLC due to rust in bore. It made me think there are others out there beyond saving as rifles and wondered about finding one as a donor to become a BB?

My thought was to use all the bits and pieces for the blunderbuss and chop the barrel off in front of the breach plug and maybe weld/mate the plug/original barrel stubb then machine that married part to become the plug in the new BB barrel.

Thoughts?

I thought it might be nice to use an existing tang, etc as well.

Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(

Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(

I did follow from the beginning.

I was just curious as to what you thought about my idea of repurposing a rusty bore victim.

I finished inlaying the Dragon this morning and set it in place. I bedded it in Shoe Goo and then filled in around it with saw dust mixed with Elmers. This afternoon I sanded the surrounding wood flush and gave it a coat of stock finish. Not perfect, but I'm happy. The butt plate will be a piece O'Cake. :s0023:

32-Inlay-1.jpg 33-Inlay-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads