JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trigger Guard.jpg

Last Edited:
Not much of a range report..:s0092:
Ccccold 30 Degrees and the wind blowing 15+:s0001:
I got off one test shot. It went bang and the marble came out. :s0023:

I promise to do better when it's warmer. :s0093:

Last Edited:
I got to looking at that old broken trigger guard. I cut a little off and re soldered the broken piece on at a different angle. There isn't any pressure on the join, so it should hold and it looks good.
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Last Edited:
I found some .050 brass sheet at Hobby Lobby and found a Dragon drawing I liked on the WEB.:)
Cutting it out with the Dremel was a trick. A few nicks, but they'll buff out.:(
Now the tricky part, will be inlaying it into the stock.:s0001:
I also replaced all of the flat head screws with oval head. They look better.:s0155:
I'm still looking for a butt plate.:s0093:

Dragon-1.jpg Dragon-2.jpg

Thanks Andy,
My wife is having a foot operation on Friday.:(
I'll have to see how she feels.:eek:
No one here to take care of her but me.:s0092:

The Blunderbuss butt really isn't down to any standard width. I left it pretty wide because I didn't have anything to work to except a T/C butt plate I have and it's too narrow.:)

Your thread is super inspirational, but I lack the faculties and facilities to scratch one out myself. I have a commercial model en-route to scratch that itch though.

I recently got a .50 percussion gun that needed a lot of TLC due to rust in bore. It made me think there are others out there beyond saving as rifles and wondered about finding one as a donor to become a BB?

My thought was to use all the bits and pieces for the blunderbuss and chop the barrel off in front of the breach plug and maybe weld/mate the plug/original barrel stubb then machine that married part to become the plug in the new BB barrel.

Thoughts?

I thought it might be nice to use an existing tang, etc as well.

Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(

Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(

I did follow from the beginning.

I was just curious as to what you thought about my idea of repurposing a rusty bore victim.

A lot of times rust will clean up and a few pits become irrelevant. If the barrel is a standard size, go ahead and build around it. If it doesn't shoot well, barrels are easily replaced. :s0092:

I finished inlaying the Dragon this morning and set it in place. I bedded it in Shoe Goo and then filled in around it with saw dust mixed with Elmers. This afternoon I sanded the surrounding wood flush and gave it a coat of stock finish. Not perfect, but I'm happy. The butt plate will be a piece O'Cake. :s0023:

32-Inlay-1.jpg 33-Inlay-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads