JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well Bubblegum ! An a Ratzinfratz ! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

[email protected] just e-mailed me and said my breach plug and tang are back ordered
at least 45-60 days. I told them, if they can't come up with something close with the right thread pitch to
cancel the order.:eek:

Looks like I'll have to start haunting e-bay again. :rolleyes:

BUMMER.....:(

What type of material is that? Could you use Barlow's formula P=2st/D to figure out SMYS? 1/4" wt in a what ~1.625" cylinder should give you many kpsi to work with I am thinking. Do you know the YS of the material?

What bore are you going for?

This looks great. My lathe is too small. I can only make parts to fix carpet cleaner. Hey it was a $300 part though.

I have no idea what grade of steel I'm working with, other than it's not stainless and it sure dulls tools in a hurry.
My nephew gave it to me several years ago. Said he found it in a scrap yard. :rolleyes:

As for the barrel wall thickness, I just looked at my .50 cal. and figured 3/16 - 1/4" would be a good safety margin. The bore is 11/16 for a patched 5/8" glass marble. I'm not a gunsmith and my machinist experience
is 3 years high school pre-apprentice in the early '50s, but I am a believer in safety.:)

Last Edited:
I was just curious. Keep up the good work and be careful. Are you going to fire wheel weights and nails with it? Finned darts w/ sabots would be cool too. It would be nice if you could get the bore to something standard like a 10 or 8 gauge. Then you would have pre-measured charges you could cut and dump. 8 gauge has probably dried up by now. Just don't put a flash hider, bayonet lug, or pistol grip on it. No foregrip too. It would make it way too lethal. I'm thinking flintlock but we are in the PNW so probably not a good idea. Plus you said you already ordered a breechplug.

Last Edited:
That garbage can was ridiculous showing the shavings. Too bad they weren't magnesium and you could sell them. I call 'em "Tin Man Pubes" I said that to my wife, while showing her how much a small part makes with my 6 year old way, way on the other side of the house playing with her Barbies. I thought she was well out of earshot. All the sudden we hear "Mommy - what's a pube?" LOL Then my wife give me the look and says "Look what you did" Sorry? :(

Well....BUMMER ! :(

It's beginning to look like I've wasted a lot of time and energy trying to make a bunch of parts work together that were never meant to. That barrel I made just doesn't want to fit together with the lock and breech block I have. :s0092:

Those parts will just have to go back on the shelf until the next project comes along.:(

OK, OK. I couldn't leave it alone.:s0138:
After I reprofiled the barrel to make it lighter, I found I had just enough wood left to make another stock.:s0023: Taking my time on this one.:s0093:
No more routers.:s0001: I'll keep watching e-bay for a Hawken's lock and trigger.
The lock I bought previously turned out to be too small.
13-New stock.jpg 15-Inletting.jpg 14-New short barrel.jpg

Hey @Capn Jack , I gotta left handed percussion lock I will give ya, you could make it a right hander by mounting it inside out if you wanted, give it a cool look and still period correct! P.M me if you want it, and I will mail it to ya! Got some other goodies for this you might like as well!

While I'm looking for a lock, I decided to finish the barrel. I filed a dove tail into the bottom and made an under lug out of some scrap brass. When finished, I soldered the lug into place. It looked like crap, but cleaned up OK. Then, I cold blued everything.
16-I hate filing Dove Tails.JPG 17-Under Lug soldered in place What a mess.JPG 20-Barrel looks better cleaned up and blued.jpg

While I'm waiting for the lock to arrive, I sanded on the stock to take out tools marks and then gave it a coat of oil. Right now it's about 80% as I still have to inlet for the lock and then come up with a trigger and trigger guard. It's heavy, but balanced. My muzzle loading SBR. :rolleyes:

* Better pictures Monday night.:)
24-Stock-a.jpg 24-Stock-b.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR