Project Blunder, or Bust.

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
I found some .050 brass sheet at Hobby Lobby and found a Dragon drawing I liked on the WEB.:)
Cutting it out with the Dremel was a trick. A few nicks, but they'll buff out.:(
Now the tricky part, will be inlaying it into the stock.:s0001:
I also replaced all of the flat head screws with oval head. They look better.:s0155:
I'm still looking for a butt plate.:s0093:

Dragon-1.jpg Dragon-2.jpg

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
Thanks Andy,
My wife is having a foot operation on Friday.:(
I'll have to see how she feels.:eek:
No one here to take care of her but me.:s0092:

The Blunderbuss butt really isn't down to any standard width. I left it pretty wide because I didn't have anything to work to except a T/C butt plate I have and it's too narrow.:)

Deavis

Reactions
Your thread is super inspirational, but I lack the faculties and facilities to scratch one out myself. I have a commercial model en-route to scratch that itch though.

I recently got a .50 percussion gun that needed a lot of TLC due to rust in bore. It made me think there are others out there beyond saving as rifles and wondered about finding one as a donor to become a BB?

My thought was to use all the bits and pieces for the blunderbuss and chop the barrel off in front of the breach plug and maybe weld/mate the plug/original barrel stubb then machine that married part to become the plug in the new BB barrel.

Thoughts?

I thought it might be nice to use an existing tang, etc as well.

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(

Deavis

Reactions
Deavis,

What decided me to make the Blunderbuss was a large piece of bar stock I was given several years ago and the fact that they have a short barrel. If you follow my post from the beginning, you'll see that I filled two garbage cans with lathe turnings. My lathe only has a 1" quill stock and I don't have a mandrel, so I had to get creative to turn that large a piece. I bought the lock, breach plug and tang on e-Bay so, you've already got a good start there. The rest of the small parts, except for trigger guard I made. The stock was a piece of Mahogany gifted by a friend. I'm on the home stretch now and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

*Note:
Be sure to draw a center line the full length of your stock. I drifted a bit on my first try and had to start over.:(
I did follow from the beginning.

I was just curious as to what you thought about my idea of repurposing a rusty bore victim.

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
A lot of times rust will clean up and a few pits become irrelevant. If the barrel is a standard size, go ahead and build around it. If it doesn't shoot well, barrels are easily replaced. :s0092:

EPS

Reactions
@Capn Jack .
I was just looking back at the thread checking up on it.
I got some round bar .
Stuff stainless steel I think I need some advice on what to do with it.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    One of the best!
    I have bought from online and in person. Great store, he had things I did not know were needed. I try and recommend Highline Firearms to people I...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    The only gunsmith I'll use
    Tim has done a few projects for me and the result is always the same. Amazing. End of story. From complete refinish to custom machining, Tim is...
    5.00 star(s)
    great work refinishing my 27 year old 1991 a1 compact colt .45
    Tim did a great job making my gun look brand new again and replacing the old parts inside. Super Happy!!
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
Top Bottom