JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a number of red dots and like them. I even bought a magnifier, but thought I wanted to try and get a bit more accurate and shoot some distance.

so to test that out I bought a cheap monstrum tactical scope a 2-7x32.

I took it out to sight it in and had a really hard time focusing and getting good look through the scope. Slight movements of my m head would create distortion and things would look weird.

I wear progressive lenses (,like trifocals to help me with different distances). I was thinking as my head is kinda of tilted to look through the scope that I was getting different magnification from my glasses and making it really hard to focus. I was doing better with my red dot and magnifier than the scope.

Am I right in thinking this way or was it a scope issue? The scope looked fine before mounting it as I held it straight in front of my eye.

Anyone else have this issue? Would taller rings help so my head wouldn't be tilted as much?

Any other thoughts?

I want to get into some longer distance shooting, but not worth spending the money with this issue.

So a few things ... Try wothout glasses like the edzz said ... Second it cpupd be the scope ... Idk anything about the brand you have but i know with cheeper optics are just going to be blurry ... And third try ajusting the objective lense. Keep ajusting it till as soon as you look threw it the crosshairs and picture is clear

So my brain wasn't working that day and didn't try without my glasses.

I was able to make some adjustments and get a reasonably good focus, but slight movements of my head would make it look weird and I would lose focus.

I will look at it tonight without my glasses and see how it does.

I also wear progressive lenses. I generally end up looking through the scope in the upper left side of my glasses. This works for me after adjusting the objective lens. I can't hardly see certain open sights, like the sight on certain old military rifles. I can however still see peep sights, just not all that great. The cheap scopes generally don't work all that great for me, but I do have one on a ruger 10/22 that still works good enough. I plan on replacing it with a better scope.

11charlie- I just hit 49, so I understand. Glasses my whole life, but now wearing progressives.

Is it just that higher quality scopes help or is there something specific to higher quality scopes that make the difference? I.e feature that can be adjusted or something like that?

Crossbow5 - similar questions, is it about quality of glass? I will try to be more conscious of where I look.

Do either of you think that ring height will make a difference?

I found as my eyes get older that Cheap and scopes don't go hand in hand. I am at the point that I am selling $600 scopes and buying $1200 scopes:rolleyes:
I also wear progressive lenses. I generally end up looking through the scope in the upper left side of my glasses. This works for me after adjusting the objective lens. I can't hardly see certain open sights, like the sight on certain old military rifles. I can however still see peep sights, just not all that great. The cheap scopes generally don't work all that great for me, but I do have one on a ruger 10/22 that still works good enough. I plan on replacing it with a better scope.

Do either of you think that ring height will make a difference?

Use what works for you. Good scopes have clearer glass than cheap ones. I have a Vortex and will buy either Leupold or Nightforce. The difference looking through them was almost shocking and Vortex has good glass so that says something for the other two.

As far as ring height, on sporting rifles i try to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible. On my AR, the scope is up higher so your cheek can rest on the stock and your head is not tilted over. For the scope, the better quality scopes have better glass, coatings, better adjustments etc and as such, just cost more.

Thanks.

I haven't had any place to shoot long distance and bought the cheap one thinking it would be good gateway to see if I liked it before investing heavy into optics and a long range caliber.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top