JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Grinding Wedge Plates. Man! That thing got hot!!

Wedge Plate-1.jpg Wedge Plate-2.jpg

Wedge Plate-3.jpg Wedge Plate-4.jpg

Had to grind down the thickness of the wedge plates as my material was twice as thick as I needed. I think the real tricks will be the square holes in the plates.
Then, I need to cut another dovetail in the barrel for a trunnion and make a square hole in it that lines up with the plates.
The lock retainer washer is part of an old bronze prop shaft.

Parts.jpg

My, "Franken Rifle" is coming together after I sent Igor out over Halloween
for some more parts.....

Fitting Dove tail.jpg
Cutting the dovetail and fitting the insert for the barrel lug
I soldered the barrel lug onto groove in dovetail insert, then I drove it into
the dovetail and trimmed off the excess on the band saw.

together.jpg
All parts are in place and barrel is now held on with a drill bit through both
escutcheon plates. I still have to file a slot and make a barrel wedge to fit.
I'll need at least one ramrod thimble, but I'm not sure yet how I'll mount it.
I may have to spend some time cleaning up my bench.... Parts and trunion-2.jpg

Last Edited:
23 -Cap Lock Rifle.jpg
Looking good. Tomorrow I'll make a wedge and file out the square holes in
the escutcheon plates and barrel lug. Still thinking about how I'm going to
hang a couple of ramrod thimbles, without making an under barrel rib.
Maybe make some smoke this weekend.

WOW ! Holy Hand Cramps Andy.

Over 3 hours filing and trying to align three, 3/16x1/8 holes. My, "Wedge" looks like
a horseshoe nail, but it works. Stain the stock tomorrow and hope to shoot Saturday.

Barrel Wedge.jpg

The Family.....

The Family.jpg

First shots with the, "Franken Rifle".

I started on the bottom target at 50 yards, with 30gr. FFG, .010 lubed patch and .49 dia. ball.

The top target is with 50gr.FFG, same patch & ball. I need to cut about 1/8th" off of the front sight.

Right now, I'm tickled pink..... Face bigsmyl.gif

Franken Rifle First shots.jpg

Finished up filing the last dovetail and mounted the thimble for the ram rod this morning. Made a trip into town Tues. I now have a new fiberglass ramrod. A $75.00 Gift Certificate I had for Coastal really helped, as the bill totaled up $91.00, powder, caps,targets, ram rod, patches and cleaning solvent. I totaled up what the rifle has cost so far.....

Then I threw the paper away. Face bigsmyl.gif

View attachment 635218 Thimble.jpg Last Dove Tail.jpg

Thanks, I'm leaning that way. I've tried blueing before and it's really tricky without a hot tank of some kind.
I used to have a length of steel rain gutter, (Closed off at the ends), but not anymore.

Friends are coming for dinner after Thanksgiving and he is bringing a BP pistol kit he just finished, "Browning".
The pictures I've seen look great. I think I'll be picking his brain over dinner as to the processes he used.

I took everything apart again and browned the barrel....Meh!...It cleaned up OK, but I did get some streaking. Thankfully most of it's on the bottom and doesn't look too bad. The breach plug just didn't want to take a finish. Hey. As long as it shoots....
27-Browning Barrel-1.jpg 28-Browning Barrel-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads