JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went out yesterday and had a blast fishing the bottom to fill the freezer, ended up with some healthy sized flat fish and dogfish!

All said a fantastic couple hours in the south sound. Heading out tomorrow to drop some traps with the heads and guts of yesterdays catch!

6B584C27-9E55-4986-8619-C8FB320B859D.jpeg 0659F3AB-DFD5-4267-9854-85999D3AFF13.jpeg 412E74D9-AD18-4C38-BF74-E43079AE38F1.jpeg

You eat the dogfish?

Tell me more.
Yup, bleed, gut and ice them immediately when you land them. When you get them home skin them and part along the cartilage for two steaks, Then soak in a 50/50 mix of buttermilk and lemon juice for about four hours.

You can do a lot with them, but I prefer to beer batter and fry them and make myself some fish and chips.

Yup, bleed, gut and ice them immediately when you land them. When you get them home skin them and part along the cartilage for two steaks, Then soak in a 50/50 mix of buttermilk and lemon juice for about four hours.

You can do a lot with them, but I prefer to beer batter and fry them and make myself some fish and chips.
Sounds like a lot of work. What do dogfish compare to in taste and texture?

Sounds like a lot of work. What do dogfish compare to in taste and texture?
Honestly I find them reasonably comparable to Cod, mild and slightly sweet but a bit denser in texture.

Smaller ones aren't really worth the trouble honestly

It is a good little bit of work about 12-16mins per 2-1/2' shark or thereabouts.

The beauty of these is the have no bones and are plentiful to catch.

Go figure the Brit's have been eating them for ages, they call it "rock salmon" on the menu.

We're pretty spoiled down here with plentiful black rockfish, ling, and seasonal salmon. And halibut.

View attachment 1234312

P

Can't blame you at all there!!!!! Good looking cooler full!

Only allowed one ling a day during seasons here (ended in June) and one Cabezon (through august) and zero halibut.

I could chase Salmon if I wanted to as the season just opened but my boat ain't setup for trawling and downrigers. Honestly the competition is pretty stiff out here for them.

Good luck to you keeping those chests full this season!

As kids living on Oyster Bay off of Puget Sound, we used to gaff dogfish at night as they were feeding on the rockfish that were almost on the shore. We could hear the dogfish splashing, turn on a flashlight and gaff them.

We would fill up a wagon and take it to our neighbor lady who would use them in her garden. Best garden in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't eat either fish and the rockfish were famous for swallowing hooks and bait to the point of no return, especially the chinese rockfish - ugliest of the species and spiniest.

EDIT: I spent all night trying to figure out the name of the fish. I knew it wasn't Rock Fish, although there is a species that is very ugly. The fish that the dogfish and once in a while sand/mud-sharks were eating was Bullheads. They were a real pest of a fish, and I lost many a hook/bait/rig to them. They would swallow it whole and you would have to dissect the fish to get it back. The Chinese variety had sharp spines that would impale you while extracting the hook.

Sorry for the oops.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews