JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Product Review: 80% Arms, GST-9

Let the FLAME WAR's commence!

This is certainly a unique product. With the included parts, you can configure is in the GLOCK 19 or GLOCK 19X form factor.

To build the platform out, completely, you need to purchase two "components" form the manufacturer: the frame and the "Jig and tool kit". My box came with both the small and 19X lower grip insert. The manufacturer website as of today states that NOW only the GLOCK 19 grip insert will ship with future orders. The GLOCK 19X grip insert will cost you an additional $19.99

The obvious comparison would be to the P-80 family of products, so I'll do that here.

COST / AVAILABILITY:
GST-9: From the manufacturer's website, the two required components cost about $180.00 [if you want the 19X lower grip insert, you may incur an additional $19.99 cost]. One year wait.
Polymer 80: About $150.00, ships immediately.

SUPPORT:
GST-9: Instructions included in the box are "skimpy" and not comprehensive. Manufacturers website offers no more information, just a downloadable PDF of the instructions included in the box.
Polymer 80: Instructions not included in the box; on line instructions are amazingly comprehensive.

ODDITIES:
GST-9:
ASSEMBLY / DIS-ASSEMBLY: This unit does not assemble or dis-assemble like a normal GLOCK. You must depress the SLIDE LOCK to assemble this unit.
GRIP: Grip assembly is wider than a full sized GLOCK or Polymer 80 [Polymer 80 is thinner than the factory GLOCK grip]. This is probably to lend rigidity to the magwell "swap ability" feature. It is not bothersome but might be to someone with smaller hands.
TRIGGER: The "trigger hole" in the frame has some form of geometry abnormality. Assembly of the frame was not a simple matter.
CONNECTOR: The fit of the "connector" [see GLOCK factory exploded diagram] was problematic. I had to test fit and assemble the pistol with three different connectors from three different manufacturers before the gun would reliably cycle the slide by hand.
TRIGGER MECHANISM HOUSING RETENTION PIN: This pin from GLOCK will not work with this frame, the manufacturers provided pin must be used.
FORWARD, LOWER GRIP ASSEMBLY PIN: This manufacture provided pin is very small for the task and easily fell out. I finally added some LOCKTITE for piece of mind.
SLIDE STOP LEVER: This item does not utilize the GLOCK standard, Slide Stop Spring Pin system. According to the manufacture the front rail block's geometry has been enhanced to accomodate the deletion of this factory GLOCK pin. This unit would randomly lock the slide back when cycled using SNAP CAPS.
MOMENT ARM GEOMETRY: The moment arm geometry [geometry of the beavertail] of the GST-9 is different than the factory GLOCK or POLYMER (they are identical). I have no idea how recoil of the GST-9 will compare to a factory GLOCK 19X

Polymer 80:
No abnormalities from what one expects from a GLOCK.

PRO's:
Great Idea, probably suffering from typical Generation One teething problems
Manufacturer was quick to refund money for a second ordered unit
Only manufacturer providing a GLOCK 19X option in the market place

CON's:
Shipment delay. I ordered this in JAN 2020, received delivery in JAN 2021.
Fit and Finish. The gap between the FRAME and LOWER FRAME MODULE is excessive even though the manufacture has cast a BEAD and BEAD CUTOUT in the frame and frame modules. I was unable to get rid of the "air gap" between the frame and lower frame module.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Given the abnormalities noted above I was not confident enough to test fire this and ended up cancelling my second unit order, disassembling and cannibalizing this example for parts. I wish them the best of luck, this is an awesome idea with, hopefully, just some kinks to be worked out in future "generations" as the product matures.

LINK TO FACTORY GLOCK EXPLODED DIAGRAM: http://www.gunsmithinfo.com/images/Drawings/Glock 17 Gen 4 Exploded View.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top