JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
or benchrest tries to save time :)

LC once fired: The usual - tumble & wash in citric acid.

brass.jpg

Normally I'd remove the crimp by hand. 20pcs, sure - 40, maybe. 500, not happening!

primercrimpcutter.jpg

Remove the cutter and chuck it up in the old table top drill press!

crimpremoval2.jpg

Took about 30 minutes to process 500. I was concerned I'd ruin the pocket if I didn't keep the brass 'true' to the cutter, but primers seat firmly with consistent pressure. Note the special gloves that couldn't possibly get wrapped around the chuck :)

crimpremoval1.jpg

Simple Lee case length gauge.

cutter.jpg

Had to reinvent the wheel :D

Standard Quick Trim would have been way too slow, so I built a jig for the power attachment :D

Surprisingly, it works!

jig.jpg

End of story :)

I so hate de-crimping military brass. I've tried about them all but have always "reverted" to a tiny but sharp, hand held sheepsfoot blade.

QUOTE="Certaindeaf, post: 1312883, member: 27048"]I can eat fifty boiled eggs in an hour.[/QUOTE]

Cool Hand Luke. Great movie

Great job improvising Benchrest. How long did your invention take to build?

HotRod

or benchrest tries to save time :)

LC once fired: The usual - tumble & wash in citric acid.

View attachment 253253

Normally I'd remove the crimp by hand. 20pcs, sure - 40, maybe. 500, not happening!

View attachment 253254

Remove the cutter and chuck it up in the old table top drill press!

View attachment 253255

Took about 30 minutes to process 500. I was concerned I'd ruin the pocket if I didn't keep the brass 'true' to the cutter, but primers seat firmly with consistent pressure. Note the special gloves that couldn't possibly get wrapped around the chuck :)

View attachment 253256

Simple Lee case length gauge.

View attachment 253257

Had to reinvent the wheel :D

Standard Quick Trim would have been way too slow, so I built a jig for the power attachment :D

Surprisingly, it works!

View attachment 253258

End of story :)

Did you ever consider the Dillon Super Swager?
By the way I luv your ingenuity. My first problem is my lack of space so it would never work for me. The second problem is the Lee case length gauge. The post will wear out and then your cases get too short. They will replace them when they wear out but I was to the point they were sending 5 at a time and my cases were not consistent because of it. I used a drill so I could make it mobile and do it at work. Working the stupid amount of hours I do it really helps being able to do a lot of case prep at work because 60ish hours a week sure cuts into my bench time.
Here is a pic of my latest mobile trim system. 3 in one cutter of course.
October 19, 2014 004.jpg

The super swager 600 will also clamp down anywhere and with a spring on it for auto eject it makes it quite quick. Maybe not 500 in 30 minutes but with doing it at work while being paid it works well. Military crimps and trimming are kind of the tedious parts of reloading but getting paid while doing it sure helps ease the pain.
The super swager of course does not remove brass from the case but rolls it so you lose no mass.
My only question is if I am getting paid while reaming primer pockets, does that make me a professional reamer?

I use the Dillon Super Swager, have for years! I don't like the cutter that actually removes brass, just because I have found that it makes the pockets a little loose after a few reloads. Swager works for me!

Hey John

I like the setup, that's thinking! But what about the winter months? Ah, retractable awning! :)

I like the Lee gauges for quantities of 20 or so, but you're absolutely right - chuck one in a drill and the pin wears (really Lee, couldn't harden the tip? Wait a minute... :) ).

I thought about the Dillon, but I'm pretty sure this is a once-and-done type situation as 500pcs of 'zombie' brass should go a long way in my bolt gun :)

I HATE trimming brass. I have used many different types finally found one that
works great and is not too exspensive. I have been using the Little Crow trimmer.
Works fantastic. Almost no burr left on the outside and very little left on the
inside of the case. Dillon swager next. Then they go through my RCBS Prep
center to chamfer,debur and primer pocket uniformer. I think the last step to
uniform primer pockets is critical to safety. A high primer pocket can destroy a
M-1 or a M1A/M-14.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...ster-280-remington-30-06-springfield?cm_vc=Pr
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/56...ase-prep-center-110-volt?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last Edited:
Oh John, what a set-up!.....Hey, aren't you about ready to retire?

:s0155:

Retire? What's that? My ex-wife set that back about 20 years.
Oh, and the great obamma economy is going to make it so I work until right before I die.
Someday the taxpayer is going to have to right a check for all the money the government is spending and none of us will have anything.
As I have mentioned in another thread, when they do the $15 minimum wage and create a slave/serf/working class we are all going to be screwed.

Hey John

I like the setup, that's thinking! But what about the winter months? Ah, retractable awning! :)

I like the Lee gauges for quantities of 20 or so, but you're absolutely right - chuck one in a drill and the pin wears (really Lee, couldn't harden the tip? Wait a minute... :) ).

I thought about the Dillon, but I'm pretty sure this is a once-and-done type situation as 500pcs of 'zombie' brass should go a long way in my bolt gun :)

I like your line of thinking. The problem is I pull so many different trailers I can't just set one up.
it really is amazing with all the crappy weather how much non rain time we do get. I can also use this set up in my lap in the cab. i can also swage, primer pocket uniform and flash hole deburr there as well. I prefer to do it all outside
And as the Rod says which probably doesn't help. But it sure keeps my sanity.
Oh, and I think that just got more expensive. My son shot his first group with the 308 yesterday.
Of course the days of just throwing him a brick of 22lr are long gone.
20150823_115707.jpg my son's first time shooting rem700 308 win.
100 yards
The 2 touching were first and the third opened it up.
Bipod, no rest and his feet don't even reach the floor sitting on the stool.
Pretty proud moment in my life.
RSO watching. Kind of made everybody smile.

Now if he could teach me to shoot.

I'm measuring. 955 outside edges minus 308 ends up being .647 or a hair under
2/3 MOA.

Great info, thanks.

Any specifics to offer on the citric acid you use?

I've topped-out on using a cordless drill, but will get a case prep station some day. I put the ribs trimmers in a drill chuck, then the Lee lock stud in a drill for trimming.

The right tools really help.

Hey John

I forgot to mention just because you have bolt gun doesn't mean you can't end up with a pile of brass. Even loading em one at time we'd be happy to take you out and show you how easy it is.:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top