JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never had a situation like this, so some useful feedback will help settle my wondering how the process works.

First off, I am a Washington resident.
My CPL expired 03/04/2019 and was renewed the same day. I'm in wait status for the new permit to arrive.
Meanwhile I purchased a pistol that arrived at my FFL 03/15/2019. I stopped by, filled out the necessary paperwork, and due to my expired permit, regardless of having a receipt of renewal, I was unable to take the gun home.

These are meant to be my asking..
Options are, wait until the new permit arrives and go get the gun, or to my understanding, wait the 10 day period. Regardless at this point, but.

Does the gun get processed, referenced to the CPL number, or referenced to my Drivers License in this situation? Reason I ask, is today is day 10 of the wait. Should I be able to take the handgun home?

Edited to correct *year*

Last Edited:
My CPL expired 03/04/2018

I purchased a pistol that arrived at my FFL 03/15/2018
I'm going to assume you meant 2019. Now I have a couple of questions...

Does WA have a gun registry If not, how would your new gun be attached to your CPL? Or DL? Did you get a BGC delay, or does WA have a mandatory waiting period? If they have a waiting period then I guess it's fairly recent... I bought guns in Tri-Cities when I lived there (04-05) and never had to wait so I'm unfamiliar with it. I didn't get my (non-resident) WA CPL until I moved to OR... go figure.
I had an exceptionally long delay in 2017, almost 4 mos... it was maddening. The FFL that received my online purchase wouldn't release it (most won't, even though it's perfectly legal) but they held it for me for the duration of the ordeal. OR makes no provisions for CHL holders as far as transfers go, but we also don't have a dopey waiting period to maneuver around.

I've never had a situation like this, so some useful feedback will help settle my wondering how the process works.

First off, I am a Washington resident.
My CPL expired 03/04/2019 and was renewed the same day. I'm in wait status for the new permit to arrive.
Meanwhile I purchased a pistol that arrived at my FFL 03/15/2019. I stopped by, filled out the necessary paperwork, and due to my expired permit, regardless of having a receipt of renewal, I was unable to take the gun home.

These are meant to be my asking..
Options are, wait until the new permit arrives and go get the gun, or to my understanding, wait the 10 day period. Regardless at this point, but.

Does the gun get processed, referenced to the CPL number, or referenced to my Drivers License in this situation? Reason I ask, is today is day 10 of the wait. Should I be able to take the handgun home?

Edited to correct *year*

In Washington (currently) the CPL acts as a "pre-approved" UBC and enables you to by-pass the 10 day wait... which if memory serves is going to end there pretty soon anyway.

You're stuck with whichever comes first... the 10 days, or the CPL in the mail. Also, you should also renew as much as possible prior to the expiration date. ;)

I'm going to assume you meant 2019. Now I have a couple of questions...

Does WA have a gun registry If not, how would your new gun be attached to your CPL? Or DL? Did you get a BGC delay, (No BGC delay. The FFL said he can not give me the gun without a CPL, due to no way to record it to the renewal receipt?) or does WA have a mandatory waiting period? (Without a CPL, there is a 10 day waiting period) If they have a waiting period then I guess it's fairly recent... I bought guns in Tri-Cities when I lived there (04-05) and never had to wait so I'm unfamiliar with it. I didn't get my (non-resident) WA CPL until I moved to OR... go figure.
I had an exceptionally long delay in 2017, almost 4 mos... it was maddening. The FFL that received my online purchase wouldn't release it (most won't, even though it's perfectly legal) but they held it for me for the duration of the ordeal. OR makes no provisions for CHL holders as far as transfers go, but we also don't have a dopey waiting period to maneuver around.

The FFL implied that the registered number on my CPL, that I've had for over 30 years, does not match the written number on the renewal receipt. I didn't know what to think at that point. The FFL went to the local Sheriffs office to find out for sure, whether he can legally hand off the gun to me with the information I gave him. He call the next day with bad news, then said i have to wait for the renewed CPL to arrive in the mail, or wait the mandatory 10 days. Today is day 10. Nothing arrived in the mail yet.

I don't mind having to wait. It is what it is. What I'm wanting is to understand the process due to my situation.

Thanks for your response.

In Washington (currently) the CPL acts as a "pre-approved" UBC and enables you to by-pass the 10 day wait... which if memory serves is going to end there pretty soon anyway.

You're stuck with whichever comes first... the 10 days, or the CPL in the mail. Also, you should also renew as much as possible prior to the expiration date. ;)
This is my un-sure understanding on the matter. Given the FFL seemed to be on the side of caution, I was curious if he was correct. The fact he went to the Sheriffs office to find out the next morning, he was told, NO, you cannot hand the customer the firearm until he receives the new CPL, or wait the 10 day required time.

Today is day 10. I want to lick the grips ;)

This is my un-sure understanding on the matter. Given the FFL seemed to be on the side of caution, I was curious if he was correct. The fact he went to the Sheriffs office to find out the next morning, he was told, NO, you cannot hand the customer the firearm until he receives the new CPL, or wait the 10 day required time.

Today is day 10. I want to lick the grips ;)

What did you get? :)

Nice choice for a 1911...

Your FFL is just using caution concerning your renewed CPL, you should have been able to receive the firearm on the same day. It's a "RENEWAL" and not a "NEW" license...
He was being VERY cautious. Sheriffs office said he could not hand it off to me, even though I had a receipt. I've been confused since.

He was being VERY cautious. Sheriffs office said he could not hand it off to me, even though I had a receipt. I've been confused since.
Can't blame the FFL. The "waiting period" was originally to notify the Sheriff you intended to buy a hand gun. Been a law here since I was a kid. The law was the Sheriff would get back to the FFL and say yes or no. If they did not get back the FFL "could" go ahead. Many would not. During the great panic many were real mad about this. The backlog in some places was a month. Some shops started turning people away if they were "in process" of getting the CPL here. They were tired of angry customers being told they could not have what they paid for because the City or County had not got back with the OK. Many FFL's did not want to be left holding the bag if they let the gun go, then found out days later that the person was a no. If we get into another panic this will happen again.
This is the same thing with a "Delayed" on the NICS check. The dealer can give you the gun after so many days. Many will not until they get the "Proceed". Can't blame them not wanting to risk everything.

Nice pistol. I took mine to Steve's (Cerberus) 1911 class because I am new to the 1911 world. It was well worth the money to go through the components, learn their function and inspection criteria, polish where appropriate, and learn the fundamental drills for use.

Nice pistol. I took mine to Steve's (Cerberus) 1911 class because I am new to the 1911 world. It was well worth the money to go through the components, learn their function and inspection criteria, polish where appropriate, and learn the fundamental drills for use.
I've wanted to have one for years, off and on. Now that I bought one, I want it in my possession. This waiting, it's all new to me and my perfect timing!! :mad::rolleyes:

Can't blame the FFL. The "waiting period" was originally to notify the Sheriff you intended to buy a hand gun. Been a law here since I was a kid. The law was the Sheriff would get back to the FFL and say yes or no. If they did not get back the FFL "could" go ahead. Many would not. During the great panic many were real mad about this. The backlog in some places was a month. Some shops started turning people away if they were "in process" of getting the CPL here. They were tired of angry customers being told they could not have what they paid for because the City or County had not got back with the OK. Many FFL's did not want to be left holding the bag if they let the gun go, then found out days later that the person was a no. If we get into another panic this will happen again.
This is the same thing with a "Delayed" on the NICS check. The dealer can give you the gun after so many days. Many will not until they get the "Proceed". Can't blame them not wanting to risk everything.

I don't mind the wait, much. I knew that without the CPL there has always been the wait. Because of my timing, this instance is mainly frustrating, knowing the dang thing is bought and paid for, and I know my BGC is clean. I'm OCD with anything or anyone late, on the norm (<---notice there's no period at the end of that. LOLOL!!) Glad them days are over. :)

My FFL has been great by my standards. I will not hold a grudge. And I don't blame him for being on the cautious side.
Washington..regarding changes relative to purchases of firearms, I figure things will go sideways eventually. I'm trying to at-least get as many wants off my list ahead of the changes.

I don't mind the wait, much. I knew that without the CPL there has always been the wait. Because of my timing, this instance is mainly frustrating, knowing the dang thing is bought and paid for, and I know my BGC is clean. I'm OCD with anything or anyone late, on the norm (<---notice there's no period at the end of that. LOLOL!!) Glad them days are over. :)

My FFL has been great by my standards. I will not hold a grudge. And I don't blame him for being on the cautious side.
Washington..regarding changes relative to purchases of firearms, I figure things will go sideways eventually. I'm trying to at-least get as many wants off my list ahead of the changes.

Just remember this at every election. The reason we are in this mess is squarely in the lap of gun owners. Too many have long refused to get involved when it's time to vote, or openly support the people who hate them. Look how many are killed by people with a car by someone who should not have one. If they did this with car sales people would revolt, yet guns? Too many just do not care.

I'll admittedly say this. I've learned a lot from the membership here, from those like yourself and many others. My forum name alone should speak for my standing on any matters in that regard. This rotating toilet in society regarding common sense issues, it's all hoarse shiet IMO. You're right in all said.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top