JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only foolish people buy a first model of anything. I prefer others to do the beta testing with their money. That being said Ruger seems to take care of warranty problems and customer service very well.

PS: Anyone know what a “timing issue” would be in an AR type rifle?

most likely that would be related to the gas system.. likely the gas block hole or something related was not working as planned which is why they rebarreled it so they start with a new gas port hole..

if you have too much or too little gas you get timing issues and FTE/FTF as the bolt is moving faster or too slow compared to the rest of the mechanism...

this is where the adjustable gas blocks help...

that said, since they have a piston system, i suspect that may be part of where the problem was..

Only foolish people buy a first model of anything. I prefer others to do the beta testing with their money. That being said Ruger seems to take care of warranty problems and customer service very well.

I wonder if you thougt about your words before you typed or sent them. Most of us here are on a positive run to discuss this issue and to help, not insult the rest.

most likely that would be related to the gas system.. likely the gas block hole or something related was not working as planned which is why they rebarreled it so they start with a new gas port hole..

if you have too much or too little gas you get timing issues and FTE/FTF as the bolt is moving faster or too slow compared to the rest of the mechanism...

this is where the adjustable gas blocks help...

that said, since they have a piston system, i suspect that may be part of where the problem was..

Thanks for that! I'm not an AR mechanic. I feel kinda dumb for not asking further, although I will be recontacting them to give them a function update, at which time I'll ask.

Thanks for that! I'm not an AR mechanic. I feel kinda dumb for not asking further, although I will be recontacting them to give them a function update, at which time I'll ask.

that's just my guess... however the gas system has to be so out of spec for it to fail to begin with...

but a borderline gas system in a situation with some magazine mal-alignment with the feedramps and the gas issue can magnify the problem to the extent you are having...

sounds like they need to work on the gas settings..

Only foolish people buy a first model of anything. I prefer others to do the beta testing with their money.

I actually agree with your statement (not the foollish part) that new models pose risks...

I have a habit of buying new release guns and I've owned a few that were in the 1st 100 serials...

in all the time I've been doing that, I've had 2 issues that eventually got fixed...

a kimber solo and a px4 compact... kimber fixed it right away... beretta took a year to admit they had a problem after we at the berettaforum showed that their recoil spring was the issue and they then came out with a recall....

I just bought a sig P227 that just came out too...

where's the fun in fully betatested guns... if I limited myself to that market it would be boring...

I actually agree with your statement (not the foollish part) that new models pose risks...

I have a habit of buying new release guns and I've owned a few that were in the 1st 100 serials...

in all the time I've been doing that, I've had 2 issues that eventually got fixed...

a kimber solo and a px4 compact... kimber fixed it right away... beretta took a year to admit they had a problem after we at the berettaforum showed that their recoil spring was the issue and they then came out with a recall....

I just bought a sig P227 that just came out too...

where's the fun in fully betatested guns... if I limited myself to that market it would be boring...

Well said! My first first run issue was with a Colt Delta Elite, then recently I've had a few recall notices, now this one. Not once did it cost me a dime to return or get repaired these issues. I have no regrets in owning any of these little gems. I feel fortunate to have been able to get my SR762 as soon as I did (both new and repaired).

Ruger will get this resolved. There apparently aren't too many people worried about buying a first article gun off the rack because even at the price they're getting, every SR762 that hits the shelf is gone in a day if not just hours. Being a piston gun, I'm thinking the "timing issue" was a "head spacing" adjustment, not gas.

DP641, you have a PM.

Did you get a chance to fire the gun? what did they do to it?

In a nutshell (because I didn't take the time to ask much) they said it had a "timing issue". They fired it with the Gen2 Pmags (Ruger included), Gen3 Pmags I also sent in, and DPMS metal magazines. They re-barrelled it, and fired it for function, probably with the aforementioned mags. I put a few rounds through it with the Gen2 and DPMS mags on Thursday, half of them aimed, shalf rapid fire (as quick as the R/O would allow) with no problems. When I fire a couple more strings, with no failures, I'll be happy. I shall "report" my progress to you great buncha guys. To know these things is good, to share them is better.

I have close to 800 rds through my SR556 and not one hiccup.
It just gets smoother every time I take it out. The design is top notch.
I am sure the 762 will be the same.
They work hard to perfect their firearms.

Not sure if this is legal on this board but ......... just bought 450 rounds of Fed XM80 from Palmetto State Armory (PSA) for .43 cents each. Must be a short term Christmas discount and I thought you guys might be interested!! 150 rds is $65 discounted from $99.

<broken link removed>

Well mine came back on the 24th I got a chance to run up the hill from My house and did a Mag dump real fast on Christmas day and it worked FINALLY. It was real muddy up there so I just did a fast test to make sure it worked, I put a full mag through it and it did not misfire as soon as I get more time I will test it more.

They said that they Polished the Chamber and that's all they did.

I guess if that's all it took that's good, but only a few hundred rounds will tell for sure.

Well mine came back on the 24th I got a chance to run up the hill from My house and did a Mag dump real fast on Christmas day and it worked FINALLY. It was real muddy up there so I just did a fast test to make sure it worked, I put a full mag through it and it did not misfire as soon as I get more time I will test it more.

I guess if that's all it took that's good, but only a few hundred rounds will tell for sure.

Hey ... Merry Christmas, Terry! And on getting your gun back 'on time'. I glad for you for that. I'm also happy that yours functions as well. Now that you mention the chamber polishing, I recall one of the techs saying that they might polish my chamber as well, although the last one didn't say. Happy (failure free) shooting, my friend. Keep in touch!

does it look like they polished the feed ramps( star shaped part of upper where the bolt locks in. the 2 bottom ramps where the bullets strip out of the magazine staggered, and feed into the chamber)

Hey ... Merry Christmas, Terry! And on getting your gun back 'on time'. I glad for you for that. I'm also happy that yours functions as well. Now that you mention the chamber polishing, I recall one of the techs saying that they might polish my chamber as well, although the last one didn't say. Happy (failure free) shooting, my friend. Keep in touch!

does it look like they polished the feed ramps( star shaped part of upper where the bolt locks in. the 2 bottom ramps where the bullets strip out of the magazine staggered, and feed into the chamber)

Merry Christmas to you too DP641

Yea it looks like the bottom of the Star Feed ramp is buffed up a little, Crazy how something so simple could make it run right. It is so muddy up on the hill where I shoot that it may be a week or 2 before I go out and test it real good. We still have snow up there and it is melting and NV has Major Clay, real sticky stuff so I will wait for it to dry up & then test it out real good. But as of now it shot without a flaw so I'm happy happy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top