JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would never buy a first production gun or car or anything. But then oiling it and shooting it does wonders sometimes. I was at the range when a guy brought a semi 308 Remmington rifle to see how it worked before going hunting. He was having trouble with the feed and function. I asked if he oiled it and he said a little as he thought oil was bad. I asked him if I could oil it . I generously oiled it and explained how oil worked and unless you were in sub zero temps oil was good. After oiling the rifle the guy was doing impressive mag dumps with a big grin.

Save yourself the time and money. Read all the posts in this thred. There sounds to be a definite problem emerging with these rifles. I'd give Ruger some time to figure it out and plan on sending the rifle in for work.
Welcome to the forum.

I think you are right. As far as the oil questions go, you can lube the hell out of it..I did, and it helps very little. I've been shooting AR and bolt actions for 40 years, in the heat of AZ and the cold of AK, there is no doubt in my mind that there is a problem with the mags or the bolts on some of the SR-762s. Maybe a certain S/N is having the issue? Ruger says, they test fire them at the factory, I don't think they tested them with a magazine with ten rounds, maybe they should test all of them, and not random lots. Damn i'm pissed, but things like this happen, and we need to find the solution.

The AR10 type .308 rifle is an unproven beast as yet.. to my knowledge not one type/make has been tested to military satisfaction OR adopted

I'll stick with my G3 and M14 types, or even a good FN FAL. BTW excellent condition G3 mags are 3 to 7 bucks ea. I recently bought a box of 100 for $150 and 10 were new in the wrap, another 20 were truly excellent, all were shootable :cool:

Oh, and my guns all shoot spire point soft tips, 100%

I will take responsibility for the problem reviews as that's how I titled this thread. I'm hoping that these few listed rifles are just a small percentage of "failrues" in a new product for Ruger. I have confidence that they will respolve our problems. Ruger seems to build their products 'bigger and beefier" and may have a challenge with the 7.72 tolerances (feeding or whatever). Guns & Ammo has a cover story on the SR-762 in the December issue.

The AR10 type .308 rifle is an unproven beast as yet.. to my knowledge not one type/make has been tested to military satisfaction OR adopted

I'll stick with my G3 and M14 types, or even a good FN FAL. BTW excellent condition G3 mags are 3 to 7 bucks ea. I recently bought a box of 100 for $150 and 10 were new in the wrap, another 20 were truly excellent, all were shootable :cool:

Oh, and my guns all shoot spire point soft tips, 100%

Is the M110 being used by the military? I also like my H&K G3, Have A FN FAL but don't shoot it. I really want the Ruger to function as well as my others, but if it ends up having limited use/function it will become the newest safe queen, I hope not.

Is the M110 being used by the military? I also like my H&K G3, Have A FN FAL but don't shoot it. I really want the Ruger to function as well as my others, but if it ends up having limited use/function it will become the newest safe queen, I hope not.

I knew they were testing it.. didn't they have some failure issues in the field?

Here's just one link

http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/special-forces-worry-about-m110-durability.html

Don't get me wrong, we own a number of AR15s in 5.56 and pistol calibers, but you have to admit the 7.62 platforms including Armalite have had issues. Enough $$ spent well for R & D can no doubt solve the issues.. but another problem is lack of parts commonality between all these platforms. The OP isn't concerned with that if he bought a Ruger, they big time Bogart many of their factory parts (I own mini 14s, 10/22s and a MK 3/22LR, myself, but aftermarket is available for those, now)

AKROCKY - Mine was apparently factory test fired, as there was a brass mark on the deflector. Not a very large mark, as there was when I finished my two range sessions, but it was there. Maybe they'll fire it again when they get it returned (tomorrow)? <laughing>

I would never buy a first production gun or car or anything..

I should learn this but I'm a slow learner... I've bought a bunch of first production guns that had some teething issues...

1. kimber solo -- FTF/FTE -- apparently bad batch of spring/barrel/slide fit... basically they had to change the entire upper half..

2. px4 compact 9mm - FTF/FTE to the point it became single shot.. after a year of non-acknowledgement beretta sent an upgraded spring and recall partly through our efforts on beretta forum -- although they would never admit it, we were able to prove their spring rate was wrong..

on the bright side, 1st gen guns I've bought with no issues

1. iwi tavor
2. steyr aug a3 (new release in 2013)
3. sig p227
4. xdm9c
5. xdm 5.25

so in all it's luck of the draw.. that's what warranty is for, but it does leave a bad feeling with the gun when it happens

I knew they were testing it.. didn't they have some failure issues in the field?

Here's just one link

http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/special-forces-worry-about-m110-durability.html

Don't get me wrong, we own a number of AR15s in 5.56 and pistol calibers, but you have to admit the 7.62 platforms including Armalite have had issues. Enough $$ spent well for R & D can no doubt solve the issues.. but another problem is lack of parts commonality between all these platforms. The OP isn't concerned with that if he bought a Ruger, they big time Bogart many of their factory parts (I own mini 14s, 10/22s and a MK 3/22LR, myself, but aftermarket is available for those, now)

Don't know about the 110, I've been retired from the military for Three years and am out of the loop. I'm not a true follower of any brand or cal. I read, shoot weapons that others own and ask questions, and if I like what I see hear and shoot, I buy it. I have the Remington R-25 and have had not one issue with it, same with the Larue, in all weather conditions, but have read were others have had issues. same goes for my 700 Remington's or any gun, some will have issues. As far as parts, never had a problem getting parts for any of my gun's, just ammo.

AKROCKY - Mine was apparently factory test fired, as there was a brass mark on the deflector. Not a very large mark, as there was when I finished my two range sessions, but it was there. Maybe they'll fire it again when they get it returned (tomorrow)? <laughing>

They did test fire mine also...... but was it a single load, or did they use a magazine? I cleaned and lubed it just like the video they have on the SR-762 first shot CLICK. (I didn't flinch) added a lot of lube to the bolt and other areas of the gun... no help. Ruger better pick up their phone tomorrow.

Don't know about the 110, I've been retired from the military for Three years and am out of the loop. I'm not a true follower of any brand or cal. I read, shoot weapons that others own and ask questions, and if I like what I see hear and shoot, I buy it. I have the Remington R-25 and have had not one issue with it, same with the Larue, in all weather conditions, but have read were others have had issues. same goes for my 700 Remington's or any gun, some will have issues. As far as parts, never had a problem getting parts for any of my gun's, just ammo.

Ruger does not sell any "fitted" part to retail customers. I used to be a Ruger parts retailer and they wouldn't sell them to me, either

OK tested & IT STILL DOES NOT WORK lol My friend at the gun shop is going to bring Me in a New Metal Mag in the morning to test & see if it is the Magpul Mags. I took a photo of one of the jams as the bolt is half way open and it did not feed the round but road over the top of it & stopped on the round.I bought 2 different brands of match ammo so it is not an ammo problem. I did notice the Mag drop just a hair as I pulled the bolt back so something is hanging up in there.

OK tested & IT STILL DOES NOT WORK lol My friend at the gun shop is going to bring Me in a New Metal Mag in the morning to test & see if it is the Magpul Mags. I took a photo of one of the jams as the bolt is half way open and it did not feed the round but road over the top of it & stopped on the round.I bought 2 different brands of match ammo so it is not an ammo problem. I did notice the Mag drop just a hair as I pulled the bolt back so something is hanging up in there.

I tried DPMS, and another metal magazine and still the same problem. Again, it's not a firing or lube issue, something is holding the bolt carrier group from working correctly. I'm going to video the problem and post a link to that. Terry what is you S/N? if you don't mind.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top