JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure when they were released, given Ruger's habit of advertising then slowly allocating their toys. I obtained mine a couple weeks ago. I'm kind of fishing for any problems that others may have. Mine is a feeding issue, but I have yet to rule out ammo, mags or other external causes. It does drive tacks though (when my eyes cooperate). I will post more after I do more 'testing'. I certainly don't want to give the rifle a bad name.

OK, here's my update to my (and the rifle's) issue.
The ammo I used was NATO spec FMJ/BT.
I contacted Ruger for the second time and learned that they are having problems with Magpul magazined feeding properly in the SR-762. Both companies are working on the issue, and trying things such as spring tension and follower configuration changes. Ruger has even applied a lube to the follower face to facillitate better feeding. My mags have both the black follower (Ruger shipped) and OD green follower (Midway purchase). Using both I experience misfeeds and a failure to properly cycle, about 50% of the time. (Differend percentaged for different problems.)
Ruger has asked that I send in their magazines for evaluation.
I'll keep posting with any updates.

Pardon the pun, but do you have gas problems? I would swap out my magazine, clean and lube everything, chamber and eject a few rounds manually. It just sounds like there is more of a problem that just a Magpul magazine being the issue. They are usually very reliable and feed well.

Just my two cents to help....

Pardon the pun, but do you have gas problems? I would swap out my magazine, clean and lube everything, chamber and eject a few rounds manually. It just sounds like there is more of a problem that just a Magpul magazine being the issue. They are usually very reliable and feed well.

Just my two cents to help....

Good idea! I have not manually ejected rounds (except when the stoppage occurs). But clean .. Oh yes I did! I don't believe it's a gas issue, as the rifle has an adjustable piston, and I've tried the other settings. And it shoots very accurately when I get one in the chamber. I will defaut to Ruger and Magpul that they are working on the problem and guess they realize an issue.

Good idea! I have not manually ejected rounds (except when the stoppage occurs). But clean .. Oh yes I did! I don't believe it's a gas issue, as the rifle has an adjustable piston, and I've tried the other settings. And it shoots very accurately when I get one in the chamber. I will defaut to Ruger and Magpul that they are working on the problem and guess they realize an issue.

I built an AR last year ( 5.56) and had some feeding issues with mine. For me, there was about a 100 or so round break in and certain mags ( not Magpul, BM or other name brand) didn't work well. I only figured this out when I manually fed 10 rounds through....

All the best.

Has anyone had any feeding or ejection problems with the Ruger SR-762 rifle? Or any other issues either for that matter?

I went to the range today to fire the new 762..... would not feed properly, will fire if no magazine is installed,and hand fed. Tried both DPMS, MAGPUL AND AN OFF BRAND, THEY ALL FAILED. Bolt will not seat properly with mag installed, and the forward assist does not help. Also if you manually install the round and then install a mag the round will not fire, 90% or so fail, just get a click, pull the mag, re-insert round, release the bolt and it fires. not happy........

I went to the range today to fire the new 762..... would not feed properly, will fire if no magazine is installed,and hand fed. Tried both DPMS, MAGPUL AND AN OFF BRAND, THEY ALL FAILED. Bolt will not seat properly with mag installed, and the forward assist does not help. Also if you manually install the round and then install a mag the round will not fire, 90% or so fail, just get a click, pull the mag, re-insert round, release the bolt and it fires. not happy........

After only two phone calls and an email to Ruger, I created enough interest in them, that they asked me to send my rifle in for evaluation of the problem and repair. I mentioned to them that I had contacted Magpul as well. I got an email address of a person to contact in the company, and she graciously called me today to arrange the return. They also had me send in my privately purchased PMags for eval and replacement as well. The lady mentioned that my issue sounded like a gas/regulator problem. So, Monday it goes away in the brown truck. The say it shouldn't take more than a week or two for return. I'll post more when I know something.

After only two phone calls and an email to Ruger, I created enough interest in them, that they asked me to send my rifle in for evaluation of the problem and repair. I mentioned to them that I had contacted Magpul as well. I got an email address of a person to contact in the company, and she graciously called me today to arrange the return. They also had me send in my privately purchased PMags for eval and replacement as well. The lady mentioned that my issue sounded like a gas/regulator problem. So, Monday it goes away in the brown truck. The say it shouldn't take more than a week or two for return. I'll post more when I know something.

Don't think mine is a gas problem, I can insert the mag, pull the charging handle and the bolt will fail to close all the way. even with the round in the chamber it fails to close after multiple pulls of the charging Handle. If its not the magazine causing this, its the bolt. Like I said I can manually load the chamber close the bolt and it fires, and ejects the round with the gas set on 2 or 3. Looks like I'll be sending mine back too.

Don't think mine is a gas problem, I can insert the mag, pull the charging handle and the bolt will fail to close all the way. even with the round in the chamber it fails to close after multiple pulls of the charging Handle. If its not the magazine causing this, its the bolt. Like I said I can manually load the chamber close the bolt and it fires, and ejects the round with the gas set on 2 or 3. Looks like I'll be sending mine back too.

I tend to agree with you, that it's not primarily (my word) a gas problem. I suspect it's how high the mag sits in the well, and contacts the bolt. I think the fix could be deepening the groves in the bolt, lowering the mag seating in the well (maybe the catch height?) or mag modification to the lips. I would really hate for them to modify the magazines too greatly, as this would turn out to require proprietary magazines for the rifle, that would be really expensive and scarce. My rifle (at times) feeds rounds at an angle that don't chamber. The bullet tip seems to hit the top of the chamber, of just back from that point. All of this is opinion from a non-gunsmith and one who is not willing to keep throwing costly rounds down the tube to fix Ruger's problem. A brand new (and new model) gun should function way better than ours have. DO contact them with your magazine malfunction issue so they can get it right. Good shooting, my friend!

I have the same angle problem, I really think its a bolt problem of some sort, I will not mod the mags to fit this weapon, the fact that I could use my other 308 mags is part of the reason I bought this gun. I hope Ruger makes this right for all that will be having this issue.

Hello all, I just got My new SR762 in on Thursday and I'm having the same problems as you guys are, I could not get it to feed to save My life. I never did get it to feed or fire more then 1 shot at a time, Bolt does not close all the way if I get it to shoot of a round it will eject the round then not chamber another round as it closes. Drove Me crazy trying to figure out what is going on, I'm going down today to buy a different brand of ammo and see if that helps out. I'm shooting Federal XM80C so it is not steel or cheap ammo, I just hope I can get this worked out. I have contacted the place I got it from and it has a Lifetime Replacement on the gun but man I just want this one to work if possible.

Hello all, I just got My new SR762 in on Thursday and I'm having the same problems as you guys are, I could not get it to feed to save My life. I never did get it to feed or fire more then 1 shot at a time, Bolt does not close all the way if I get it to shoot of a round it will eject the round then not chamber another round as it closes. Drove Me crazy trying to figure out what is going on, I'm going down today to buy a different brand of ammo and see if that helps out. I'm shooting Federal XM80C so it is not steel or cheap ammo, I just hope I can get this worked out. I have contacted the place I got it from and it has a Lifetime Replacement on the gun but man I just want this one to work if possible.
Save yourself the time and money. Read all the posts in this thred. There sounds to be a definite problem emerging with these rifles. I'd give Ruger some time to figure it out and plan on sending the rifle in for work.
Welcome to the forum.

I have heard of some good reviews on this rifle on another forum that's why I went ahead & bought one but I got a Lemon. I just hope it is something simple & I did get a Life replacement from the seller on it & have contacted him so Monday he is checking into it for Me.All I want is it to Cycle, I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top