JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dillon 550B seized up on me 2 years ago... I forgot to read the manual and then perform the required maintenance. All it needed was some lubrication. Kinda like...

My RCBS Jr. set up and sizing .223:

IMG_20170325_140855.jpg

Nice. I'm going to build a new area this summer just for reloading and gun building that can be temperature controlled. I can build some awesome benches with reclaimed HD cabinets and racks for storage... I do enlist some fine helpers all the time & parlay with fish....:D

I never saw a reason to buy a full blown Rock Chucker because I don't load magnums any more.

It's in my garage... definitely not climate controlled. I wish!!! No winter reloading but the range is closed then anyway, except for .22 silhouette. The pic doesn't show my Dillon RL550b, which is just to the left of the powder measure mount. The bench is made with doubled up 2x4 in the front, triple 2x4 for legs, 1/2" OSB roof sheathing smooth side up, and a last layer of masonite sheet rough side up. Very sturdy. There is a shelf underneath that holds my brass tumbler and supplies. The bench is in a corner so there is a generic work area to the left around the corner, and the reloading area is dedicated to reloading. :)

Last Edited:
Yeah, I like sturdy, my father taught me how to build stuff to last.
I was out in my shop cleaning up the mess I made milling three lowers & looking at the layout and still haven't decided where I'm gonna build it. I need to sell some stuff to make room for more stuffo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Well folks I have about had it with new dies!!!!!
I bought a brand new set of Lee Pacesetter 223 dies I cleaned & lightly lubed it cleaned it with a patch and got my first stuck case....
Yes I lubed the case well.
I did manage to get it out though.
WTH???o_Oo_Oo_O

Last Edited:
Well that sucks! what lube are you using again? I really have great luck with the one shot. Stood up in loading tray I just give them a short burst on all 4 sides from slightly above at a downward agle so it gets some in case mouth. I am experimenting with the lanolin alchohol homemade stuff but I have never stuck a case with one shot so it is hard to change.

Well folks I have about had it with new dies!!!!!
I bought a brand new set of Lee Pacesetter 223 dies I cleaned & lightly lubed it cleaned it with a patch and got my first stuck case....
Yes I lubed the case well.
WTH???o_Oo_Oo_O

Are you putting the bullet end of the case in first? Honestly, I have never seen anyone have more problems. Two different cartridges getting stuck, does not make sense - something is wrong and I'd look at what the problem is following, so I'd rule out the dies, brass, and lube.

Do you have another press handy? I'm wondering if the angle is wrong or perhaps offset just enough to cause binding?

U
Well that sucks! what lube are you using again? I really have great luck with the one shot. Stood up in loading tray I just give them a short burst on all 4 sides from slightly above at a downward agle so it gets some in case mouth. I am experimenting with the lanolin alchohol homemade stuff but I have never stuck a case with one shot so it is hard to change.

Using RCBS lube & pad as it works great in my RCBS press & dies.
I wanted to check out the new Lee dies & cannot believe the problems I cleaned the dogon things and I lightly oiled it and I ran a patch in there to get most of the Lube out then I use the same Lube on the cases on the RCBS.... SMH....

Last Edited:
Are you putting the bullet end of the case in first? Honestly, I have never seen anyone have more problems. Two different cartridges getting stuck, does not make sense - something is wrong and I'd look at what the problem is following, so I'd rule out the dies, brass, and lube.

Do you have another press handy? I'm wondering if the angle is wrong or perhaps offset just enough to cause binding?

Here's is the stuck case....

20170417_124213.jpg

Yes, I tried it in my new Lee turret press and it was an uncomfortable feeling putting that much force on it... this batch of brass came from a shooting range that I use. Look at the case after being resized in the RCBS press & dies. 6 out of 197 cases passed the chamber test!!!

I have never seen this headstamp before and they had crimps on the primers.... military ammo maybe used in a machine gun???

20170417_133306.jpg

Here's is the stuck case....

View attachment 357395

Yes, I tried it in my new Lee turret press and it was an uncomfortable feeling putting that much force on it... this batch of brass came from a shooting range that I use. Look at the case after being resized in the RCBS press & dies. 6 out of 197 cases passed the chamber test!!!

I have never seen this headstamp before and they had crimps on the primers.... military ammo maybe used in a machine gun???

View attachment 357398

RORG - Royal Ordnance Factory Radway Green, Radway Green, UK
Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association

I wouldn't think those would be wonky, unless they were shot in some pretty large chambers.

RORG - Royal Ordnance Factory Radway Green, Radway Green, UK
Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association

I wouldn't think those would be wonky, unless they were shot in some pretty large chambers.

Agreed and I have no way of knowing what they were feed through either.... they will go into the brass recycling bin.... no more headaches.
The Lee dies works well with the other brass that I have so it was a bad batch, thank goodness cause I was loosing my mind today....:eek::eek::eek:o_O

Last Edited:
That cross in a circle is NATO. Are you using Lee shell holders?
Some of them don't fit great.. they make fewer of them to cover the same number of cases some others do with more..
Check some charts.. RCBS/Lee

That cross in a circle is NATO. Are you using Lee shell holders?
Some of them don't fit great.. they make fewer of them to cover the same number of cases some others do with more..
Check some charts.. RCBS/Lee

Yes I'm using the Lee shell holder in the turret and the RCBS press has the RCBS holder. I might just pick me up another RCBS holder & hide the Lee....

Wow! In my entire hand loading career, about 25yrs, I never had these kinds of problems unless it was, for sure, bad brass! I'm sure that you're getting awfully sick of this poo! Good luck buddy!:)

Yes I'm using the Lee shell holder in the turret and the RCBS press has the RCBS holder. I might just pick me up another RCBS holder & hide the Lee....
It looks like there might not be a difference for that one.. I think. lol
edit, there might be.. there's 7 10's(RCBS) and 13 4's (Lee).. there are more "n/a's" for RCBS.. click on maker to sort by #.
anyway..

Handloads Online, the reloaders resource

Last Edited:
Wow! In my entire hand loading career, about 25yrs, I never had these kinds of problems unless it was, for sure, bad brass! I'm sure that you're getting awfully sick of this poo! Good luck buddy!:)

I'm starting to wonder if Jim mixed up the case lube and the JB Weld...

Well, it's obviously crazy bad brass if 190/200 (?) won't even go into a chamber. Too bad all that hard work though.. but look at the bright side! lol
you'll have stories to tell!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads