JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I was beginning to wonder if that was the case as I don't know why the brass would be too big or the diesame being too small.
I used a little more CLP (ok a bunch more) and then Powder Blast to rinse it out thoroughly. So far so good but much more force is needed than 223 cases.:eek:

CLP as case lube?

ah, good..... make sure you clean the dies well.... also be ware of too much case lube on the cases. Too much and you will see pucker marks on the case shoulder.... too much is just as bad as too little..... it's the trial and error method..... emphasis on error

Jim, do you have a good sturdy bench and is your press mounted well to it? The reason people use compound leverage presses such as yours and mount them very securely to very strong benches is that a good amount of force/muscle is required to jam that case on up in there (giggity) and back out again.

My bench is my out feed table for my tablesaw, it's constructed of 2 inch solid core door supported but 4x4 & 2x6. Yep purtty darn sturdy.
this is the largest cartridge that I've tried to reload 223 is pretty doggone easy and I didn't want to force this one but once I got it clean properly and I was able to use a good bit of force to get them resized. Like I said before I just didn't want to get the damn thing stuck I'd rather ask first then get it stuck.... lol

Last Edited:
Be sure to clean out the inside of those cases (and primer pockets) really well.
And take a look at the Die Set-Up Instructions that I linked you a few posts back.

Also, I would try some this, applied per instructions.
Betcha it will smooth things out.
Hornady-One-Shot-Case-Lube-5-5-Ounce-Aerosol-09025529991_image1__13115.1464221906.1280.1280.jpg

So the photo is of the case in the die as far as it would go on the press? You say you didn't want to force it, and I guess I am not sure what that means. Even a properly lubed case is going to take some force to push it into the die... you shouldn't have to stand on the handle to get it to go, but it is going to take a bit of oomph to size the case... I know you probably don't have a way of measuring force, but even with the mechanical advantage of the press lever, you should feel resistance to the down stroke on the handle.... Aye you just not pushing hard enough? It's so hard without being there to know what you're dealing with :mad:

Yeah, I guess I'm Mr. Burns at the press for 243 cases. Good lord I'm gonna have to go to the gym if I ever hope to load 30-06!!!!!:eek::eek:

Be sure to clean out the inside of those cases (and primer pockets) really well.
And take a look at the Die Set-Up Instructions that I linked you a few posts back.

View attachment 349094

Jim,
I use the Hornady one shot and it works really well and sometimes you have to use a lot of force. I have found each caliber has a different amount of force needed so it's kinda a trial and error kinda thing. But like you said it never hurts to ask first!;)

Stacy

View attachment 349094

I've heard of the Lanolin & isopropyl alcohol mix that lasts a long time (millions of rounds). Lol

One thing I do know about being at the bench behind a press is getting comfortable. I do know that I am going to have a 8 inch Riser Mount made to mount my press higher. because just bending over that last two or three inches for the down stroke hurts my back... I'm thinking of hydraulics here.... lol not really but yeah if I continue aggravating my lower back anymore I'm gonna have to take up sofa sitting as my new hobby...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Im just as big of a noob as you when it comes to reloading, it took a buddy of mine that does massive reloading on a auto-drive 1050 to get comfortable behind my new 1050. Good luck buddy

One thing I do know about being at the bench behind a press is getting comfortable. I donly know that I am going to have a 8 inch Riser Mount made to mount my press higher. because just bending over that last two or three inches for the down stroke hurts my back... I'm thinking of hydraulics here.... lol not really but yeah if I continue aggravating my lower back anymore I'm gonna have to take up sofa sitting as my new hobby...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
Or lower your chair.. if you're sitting. I sit.. but I have monkey triceps.. ooh ooh!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top