JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a mossberg 930 tactical the other day. It is an auto loading style shotgun which seemed cool...at first.

there is one MAJOR flaw I have found, and i dont know if this is just my shotgun or a flaw with the design.

When the tube is loaded with 2 or more shells and the bolt release button on the right side is pressed it releases tension on the shells in the tube, causing 1 entire shell and part of another shell to come out of the tube and be pressurized above the elevator/lifter.

The bolt will not catch the round on the lifter since it is held in place by pressure of the magazine spring and and it causes a jam.

The jam can be mitigated by pushing the second shell back into the tube where it catches the shell stop, then the lifter resets to normal position and the bolt closes like normal.

This happens every time.

Is this a design flaw or is it my 930 inparticular causing this "Doublefeed"?

Any input from someone knowledgable on this mossberg design or if someone who has a 930 could test this and report back I would be very greatful!

Happy shootin!

-Savage

I purchased it used, does mossberg only cover their new products?

I ordered a +2 mag extension to see if the extra room will relieve tension on the spring. hopefully that will cure the problem.

Sounds like the shell stop is bent just a little out of shape. Those are a little tricky to take apart, since it all part of the bolt release. The front 1/4" or so is probably bent just a wee bit.

Have you shot it yet or does it just do it while you're cycling ammo? My 930 JM did that when I was practicing loading ammo but when I actually took it to the range to shoot it, it didn't jam.

Have you shot it yet or does it just do it while you're cycling ammo? My 930 JM did that when I was practicing loading ammo but when I actually took it to the range to shoot it, it didn't jam.

Have not taken it to shoot yet but i believe this jam is separate from the cycling of the action.
It should shoot and cycle fine(should) and only jam when the bolt release button is pressed with a fully loaded tube.

Ill report back when I receive the mag extension and take her out for a test run.

Mine did that as well. had to snake my finger in the loading port and hope the bolt didn't slam shut on my finger. Try shooting and see if it does it during live fire.

Mine did that as well. had to snake my finger in the loading port and hope the bolt didn't slam shut on my finger. Try shooting and see if it does it during live fire.

Were you able to fix the problem with your 930?
Sounds like we are having the same issue.

I have a 930 that I bought new. It had a few problems that I corrected but it never did what you describe. I do know that if there is too much spring pressure the opposite will occur. It won't allow a round to feed at all.

Well, got my Choate +2 mag extension in today. installed it with the extra long spring it came with. Still the same problems, and actually worse as it would not eject a shell from the tube when cycling the action.
Replaced the aftermarket spring with the stock spring and it feeds and ejects fine.

Talked to mossberg and was very happy with the outcome.

Since i purchased the firearm used it is not under warranty, but the gentleman i spoke with told me that if i pay shipping they will fix the firearm free of charge.

He said that most problems are coming from the shell stop, Test fire on saturday and likely shipping it to mossberg afterwards.

originally i was pissed off, but a company that is willing to own up to their QC issues is a +1 in my book.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top