JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
during this last week I have had a problem with my computer shutting down (turning off) while on line I have no idea what's going on. Im to the polnt of going to go outside the cave and grab a BFR (large rock) and beat it till it works or dies completly, so if any one can save me from spending a lot of money please help....
Thanks, Caveman Jim

I had a few towers that were doing that to me.

One ended up a kink in the power cord because it was pushed all the way to the wall

The other was that the power supply unit was just going out

Computer_Power_Supply.jpg

My bet is that either the cable or the power supply needs to be replaced....these are not expensive parts, nor are they hard to fix. Good luck to you! Hope this helps!

If it stays on for the same amount of time each time it's likely an overheating problem. This can be caused by not having enough heat sink compound under the CPU heat sink.

You can get tubes of heat sink compound online or sometimes at best buy or radio shack. Just remove the heat sink, clean off the old gunk and put enough on to barely cover the bottom of the heat and clip/screw it back on.

Hanging onto old toys that work, I've been guilty of slipping behind in technology from time to time.

In fact one of my computers is a Pentium I had built in 2002 and it's been running since then. I replaced the power supply twice ($25 the first time and $35 a few years ago). They get old and dirty inside, and they fail. Is your fan noisy? Both of mine got that way when they started to go (for like a year apiece).

I hope that's all you have going on there. Cheap and butt-simple to replace.

during this last week I have had a problem with my computer shutting down (turning off) while on line I have no idea what's going on. Im to the polnt of going to go outside the cave and grab a BFR (large rock) and beat it till it works or dies completly, so if any one can save me from spending a lot of money please help....
Thanks, Caveman Jim

This is what I did one time to a lawn mower that wouldn't start reliably. But I used a BFH (large hammer).

Sometimes my machine won't shut off because it's in the middle of updating, or installing updates. I'm guessing though this is not the case otherwise you wouldn't be seeking help from the combined NWFA braintrust.

Yeah, found out it is the power supply causing the problem. Thanks folks for the recommendations!!!
Dang, I was getting excited and found a suitable BFR for my entertainment, but Alas, I shant beat it today.....

Yeah, found out it is the power supply causing the problem. Thanks folks for the recommendations!!!
Dang, I was getting excited and found a suitable BFR for my entertainment, but Alas, I shant beat it today.....

My 2000 Gateway behaved this way both times I had to replace the power supply. Now I would love to replace the power supply one more time so I have a Puter that would run all my XP dependent programs but the stupid power supply is mega spendy this far down the line.

Special smaller case computer dedicated power supply.

When I used to build rack mount industrial computers and home computers I almost always found that a freeze and shut down was a power supply or overheating processor. The power supply was the first (cheapest) to fix!

Got tired of the chair/keyboard interface problems and got out of that rat race after I set up Freightliners SAN on Swan Island.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top