Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Problems in GSG-Land!!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Joe Link, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

So this evening we went to the range for a bit of fun with the 9mm's, the GSG rifle, and the Ruger Single Six .22 of my grandfathers I just purchased from my brother.

I was shooting the GSG and it was awesome, as always. I loaded up a magazine, inserted it into the magwell, pulled the trigger, and enjoyed the expected result. However, when I pulled the trigger again, nothing happened! I waited for a minute with the muzzle pointed downrange in case of a hangfire, then I analyzed the situation. The next round was chambered and ready to go, but when I pulled the trigger nothing happened. If I dropped the mag, removed the round, and chambered another (thereby cocking it again) it fired fine, but only for one round. So it's not a FTF or a FTE, but rather a failure to...I'm not sure.

Any insight would be great!

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I told you the GSGs weren't the coolest thing ever! jk

Did you strip it down and clean it after the last time you took it out?

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

The trigger mech. is all gunked up.

4. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

OR a bad batch of .22 LR rounds?? I've had my 10/22 do the same thing and it turned out to be a few junk rounds.

5. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Meh, I have it happen often enough... For me, it always seems like bad ammo. The GSG's trigger stuff doesn't get gunked up enough to cause a problem from what I've seen, and the firing pin stays fine enough under rough situations.

I tossed 500+ rounds through it with a suppressor on it (makes it dirtier), and it was firing fine at the end.

6. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

I had three rounds (non sequential) FTF in one mag on my GSG-5 and they all were from an old box of Remington that I was getting rid of. Switched to the Winchester rounds and no problems. Bad ammo does happen, especially in the rimfire stuff.

7. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

we'll be in contact!!!!!

8. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

A thought- is there a chance similiar malf to ar15 w/ 22 conversion? Enough energy to cycle and rechamber, not not leave the hammer cocked?

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Joey, were you using Remington ammo?

Did it happen more than once?

10. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Sounds like a light strike issue. I still have it happen to mine every mag or so and the gun is always cleaned after every use. I put in the new firing pin from ATI and it still happens too. I just deal with it and have to pick up the unfired rounds in the grass so I don't forget and run over them with a lawnmower. Soak the bolt after every use. Also, I think sometime the hammer hits the return springs and that is what causes that type of FTF. I now just consider my GSG another picky toy and deal with it.

11. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

When I use CCI mini mag 22 cal ammo its like dream fire anything else in my GSG 5 was peanut butter jam jam ^^

12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks for the replies guys. I've never cleaned it, that will be my first step. It's not a light strike issue, there's not even the faintest of a mark on the round and the trigger doesn't 'pull' like it should. The ammo was from a Federal bulk pack purchased at Bi-Mart less than a year ago. I put it in my Ruger Single Six and it fired just fine.

I'll be in touch :)