Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

problem with my sights

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by fendermallot, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fendermallot

fendermallot Aloha, OR Member

I have a Taurus PT140 that I bought Used. I checked it out pretty thoroughly and it looked fine. As I pulled it out today to shoot, I noticed that the rear sight was not centered on the slide. Then I noticed it was loose. I tried to take an allen wrench to tighten it a bit, but it wouldn't budge. When I tried to back it out to remove the sight the allen wrench started clicking as I turned. It's not grabbing the edges of the hex nut. It's stripped out!

1. How do I go about getting it to come out?
    2. Does anyone know where I can get relatively inexpensive replacement sights? Budgets a little tight right now.

Thanks guys!

2. Bruin

Bruin oregon Member

Most likely the allen is metric.

3. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Try a slightly larger Allen, or buy an EZ-Out to remove it. Sights are widely available through Brownells, Cheaper Than Dirt, Midway, et al online. I skip buying locally because the prices are typically better online, even with shipping - and, I can find what I'm looking for without having to put up with a sales pitch...

4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I would easy-out the screw, and get another...that'll save the cost of a new sight.

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Let's not forget my favorite option, don't mess with it further & send it back to Taurus for free warranty repair. There is the real possibility that you will invalidate the gun's lifetime warranty if you do anything less than perfect work. Call Taurus & see if you can just mail the slide from the gun, that should only cost about $6.00 in a small priority mail box.

6. fendermallot

They DO have a great warranty, don't they? But the warranty doesn't cover sights.

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

It should cover this problem though, as it is a QC thing...not really a bad sight thing.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I concur, at least you could call Taurus customer service & let them tell you NO

9. fendermallot

will do Monday. Thanks guys.