JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Make sure the gun is unloaded. Pull both takedown pins.

Remove the upper from the rifle.

Manually cock the hammer.

While controlling the movement of the hammer (do not let it fall forward and strike the reciever, it could damage it), pull the trigger rearward.

While holding the trigger back, try to manually push the hammer back and lock it in the cocked position.

If it fails to lock back, then the disconnector is not functioning as it should (which sounds like the case) or the disconnector spring is either weak or missing.

Good luck.

try shooting 65 gr ammo in it around 60 to 100 rounds and pull the slide back and lock it in and leave it like that if its new sometimes you need to work the action in like i said leave the bolt in the cocked position when not using in this will break it in

Take the gun to anyone who knows AR's. It sounds like an issue with the disconnector as stated above.
Per your explanation the hammer is not resetting properly after shooting, odd that it would shooting 22's and not with 5.56.
A broken hammer pin can also exhibit this problem, any armorer should be able to diagnose it with the rifle in-hand.
It can be difficult to try and sort this out over posts without any hands-on..

sounds like the hammer is following the bolt carrier forward while loading the second round - without having the weapon in hand it can be difficult to diagnose these types of problems but I tend to agree with others above - it sounds like a trigger group problem.

First off thank a lot for all the help, I appreciate it. I have never really posted any questions on here or even struck up much of a conversation so i was not sure what to expect. I am glad to say though that i am very impressed with all the people offering up advice. I am going to swing by Philomath gun shop tomorrow and see if they cant help me figure out the problem. Thanks again, and ill post what the problem was and the solution for fixing it after i figure it out tomorrow.

After thinking about it more - it could be short stroking from not enough gas pressure - if you put 1 bullet in the magazine and fire it does the bolt lock open on the empty mag? If not you may have some lead buildup in the gas port and may need to clean it out for proper function... Just a thought

If it's chambering another round it's opening the bolt far enough to reset the hammer.
You test for short stroking by placing one round in the mag and seeing if the bolt locks open.
Opening the bolt about half way is far enough to cock/reset the hammer.
Something else is going on here, but nice train of thought.

If it locked back it is NOT short stroking.
There is a problem with your disconnector or hammer.
Take it to the shop you mentioned.

Just a warning about shooting .22 LR with a drop in conversion kit...
It is possible to clog up the gas port and gas tube with lead from the .22, especially if running plain lead rounds. It is suggested that at the end of your shooting session with .22 LR, you put the standard bolt and carrier back in and run a few rounds of .223/5.56 though it, to blast out any debris.

If your getting hammer follow, that it a dangerous condition that can result in a round being fired as the trigger is being reset. This is when the hammer transfers from being held back by the disconnector, to the trigger. This can be caused by a missing/defective/improperly installed disconnector spring, disconnector, trigger, hammer, trigger/hammer pin. Also, an out of spec lower (improperly located pin holes) can cause this. If you get up north, Oly Arms is about 5 min off of I-5 (exit 116 I think) and I'm sure they would square it away as you wait.

It could also be the gas key staking on the bolt isn't quite right so he's losing too much gas pressure and it's not cycling fully. Definetly check out the disconect though and make sure that it's good to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top