JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On closer examination I am seeing the tiniest little warping in the bottom 3rd of the case. !
Are you crimping the bullet? Depending on the method, Over crimp could stress the unsupported parts of the case so could be a source of the tiny warping and possibly poor fit to some chambers.
I had over crimped some 45-70 and though they chambered and shot OK they looked a little weird.
I too recommend the candling of the cartridge then chambering in the problem rifle to see where the rub lies, Case or OAL.

Also, and something that may be if interest to; @Mikej ,I've been loading my 6.5X55 for a while now starting originally using some dirt cheap Privi partisans cartridges @jbett98 dug up for me. The ones that were fire formed in my extant 1896 Carl Gustafs Stads, Gevarfaktorl, (1917mfg) just would not chamber in my Tikka without much effort closing the bolt after the full resize. Maybe 3 out of ten would go in too tight to close the bolt. The rest just plain snug. Since I had only loaded the Yugoslavian stuff thus far and sold the old rifle to buy the new Tikka I never really resolved the issue. (The old gun shot very well and on target otherwise)
Odd thing though is I had shot a box of Norma in the old Swede but had not reloaded them until after the rifle was gone but all of those Norma's, finally reloaded, will chamber in my new Tikka without issue:confused:
The factory loaded Privi works OK in the Tikka so has five other brands of factory cartridges fire formed (in the Tikka) and then fully resized and reloaded, albeit none of the "other brands" were shot out of the old rifle except a few Norma's previously mentioned, so no help there. (Norma, Hansen, Remington, Hornady and Winchester)

Also, and something that may be if interest to; @Mikej ,I've been loading my 6.5X55 for a while now starting originally using some dirt cheap Privi partisans cartridges @jbett98 dug up for me. The ones that were fire formed in my extant 1896 Carl Gustafs Stads, Gevarfaktorl, (1917mfg) just would not chamber in my Tikka without much effort closing the bolt after the full resize. Maybe 3 out of ten would go in too tight to close the bolt. The rest just plain snug. Since I had only loaded the Yugoslavian stuff thus far and sold the old rifle to buy the new Tikka I never really resolved the issue. (The old gun shot very well and on target otherwise)
Odd thing though is I had shot a box of Norma in the old Swede but had not reloaded them until after the rifle was gone but all of those Norma's, finally reloaded, will chamber in my new Tikka without issue:confused:
The factory loaded Privi works OK in the Tikka so has five other brands of factory cartridges fire formed (in the Tikka) and then fully resized and reloaded, albeit none of the "other brands" were shot out of the old rifle except a few Norma's previously mentioned, so no help there. (Norma, Hansen, Remington, Hornady and Winchester)

I'm not sure what to say about that! Did you have three others or something? I DO have a thing about selling guns. I only did it once. I just wan't more Swedes and can't see selling any.

Regarding the rest, now that I've settled down.... Do you figure the Swede had a more generous chamber than the new Tikka? I know they have long throats. I'm hearing PPU is some of the best brass for reloading. Priced low too.

My hunch would have been shoulder or neck issues. Like P7id10T's rifle, my wife's 7mm-08 Ruger is very particular to cartridge length. I performed a similar Mod as Spitpatch, but I trimmed the bottom of the die.
A common problem is squishing the shoulder a bit during bullet seating or crimping. Kind of hard to see, but you can usually feel the bump at the shoulder with your fingers.

That's due to an improperly adjusted seating die.

SAAMI spec chamber is the key word here. My brother's Tikka T3 shoots all OTS ammo except one box of Nosler bullets. The case is within SAAMMI spec, but without taking a chamber cast, my suspicion is there is zero freebore in the throat, and we all know that 4 mils means the difference between go and no-go.
When I load for him, I have all my 308 brass trimmed to minimum SAAMI length (or checked), then proceed to load.
The other aspect is bullet shape. The metplat and ogive on a PSP is very different than a VLD, which is why using COAL of 2.800 is sometimes a mistake.

A guy should know exactly how far off the lands he's running every load. If not, he need not be hand loading and should take up golf. I see you quoted my post, so you get what I'm saying about the OP's buddies rifle and knowing how far off the lands hes running. At least, I'm hoping that's why you quoted it. If the OAL is TOO long, the bullet will be jammed in to the lands, thus creating havoc, both in closing the bolt and also in firing the rifle. If the rifle is not fired and the cartridge is pulled back out, the bullet may become lodged in the lands of the bore. Pretty easy concept.

with your shell holder in the press and the press handle all the way down(so the ram is all the way up) thread your decapping/sizing die into the press until it touches the shell holder.

lower the shell holder and turn the die CLOCKWISE 1/8-1/4 of a turn or so(its more of a "feel" depending on the press) then set your lock ring. now, everytime you run the shell holder up, it will touch the die and the handle will stop. if you press just a little bit harder you'll feel a "bump" in the handle. this is cam over.

Copy. That's backwards from how I do it. With the ram fully raised, I screw the die in until it touches the shell holder. Then I back it off 2 full turns. Then set the lock ring.

P

A guy should know exactly how far off the lands he's running every load. If not, he need not be hand loading and should take up golf. I see you quoted my post, so you get what I'm saying about the OP's buddies rifle and knowing how far off the lands hes running. At least, I'm hoping that's why you quoted it. If the OAL is TOO long, the bullet will be jammed in to the lands, thus creating havoc, both in closing the bolt and also in firing the rifle. If the rifle is not fired and the cartridge is pulled back out, the bullet may become lodged in the lands of the bore. Pretty easy concept.

I have no idea how far off the lands my loads are. No idea. I know they're not close to the lands. The magazine limits my length.

I had a Vanguard Back Country .30-06 that loved 180 Partitions jammed into the lands.

P

yep thats why they dont fit

Oh, they fit just fine...

5C7E4C6D-E327-48DC-8777-11647048BC6D_zpst8xrrppe.jpg

P

Copy. That's backwards from how I do it. With the ram fully raised, I screw the die in until it touches the shell holder. Then I back it off 2 full turns. Then set the lock ring.

P

Pharm, that is going to bite you in the butt one of these days. You have no clue as to how far off the lands your bullet is, or how far your pushing your shoulder back each time you resize it. Also on the "jammed in the lands" statement, that will eventually bite you as well. Especially on hunting rounds. Just sayin.. I don't care what kind of accuracy you are posting, you are giving people the wrong idea, if you think that is going to work for everyone..

I'm nowhere near the lands on my Tikkas, I said that already. I neck size instead of FL, except for a new rifle.

Nine years, no idea how many thousands of rounds. So far so good.

P

I'm not sure what to say about that! Did you have three others or something? I DO have a thing about selling guns. I only did it once. I just wan't more Swedes and can't see selling any.

Regarding the rest, now that I've settled down.... Do you figure the Swede had a more generous chamber than the new Tikka? I know they have long throats. I'm hearing PPU is some of the best brass for reloading. Priced low too.
No, I meant three cartridges out of ten wouldn't chamber in the Tikka and the other 7 would, but real tight.
As far as the PPU goes, they are well built and properly annealed in my mind as shown by the witness on the cases. I was by no means critical, to that end though the Norma did chamber in the Tikka and so was what was perplexing to me.
I liked the PPU's so much @jbett98 came up with about ten boxed more of what I thought was PPU but turned out was Hansen's Cartridge Co (out of business) stuff which is seems to be loaded exactly the same as the PPU, they both also ran pretty consistent on my magneto speed chronograph. (also at an exceptional price)(also made in Yugoslavia)
As for the old rifle, I had not wanted to except the chamber being out of spec or "shot out" and had not thought that much about that aspect before I sold it, but with all thing considered it may be the case though performance did not seem to suffer on factory loads. That performance of the old gun was what inspired me to upgrade to something light enough I could hunt with, being more a user than a collector, glad I did.

I tend to follow the process information provided with the equipment I purchase.
Utterance from the past that may apply to some of this thread might be: Ignorance is bliss, or blind luck triumphs over science, o_O neither are inspirational to me when working with explosives though.:eek:

dalharmil1,
Did you figure it out yet? I would start with the seating die to see if your crimping the case. With the ram up and a case in the shell holder run the die until it touches and then back it off a turn.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top