JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What kind of slipperiness? What dealer was this?
He was in one of the large towns in MT. Said he could beat the price on the Labor Day sale through Liberty. Turned out to be more than the on-line offer. We were going to go with it anyway, then he quotes us $2325 for delivery minus installation. We canned the deal and went with a Rhino Bighorn. He called back and suddenly he had one like we wanted only 45 miles away in a different warehouse... but the deal was already done. We paid less for the Bighorn and installation than the Liberty safe. It has a lot more space. We really wanted the Liberty but the deal kept wiggling around.... size; color; model.... and then the cost of delivery. The Rhino came from Caldwell, ID with free shipping.

Due as you will, I'll never, ever have an electronic lock on my gun safe. I have heard too many stories that parallel my own experience and I have personally been f***ed twice by them. Never again.

Electronics now are not even the same as they were 4-5 years ago. They have advanced a lot, and I can honestly say the top models have 4x the use and opening ratings of their predecessors. I open about 18 locked out safes a month, and maybe end up actually drilling about 5 of them. Most of the time it's drilling 3 elocks and 2 dials out of that 5.

I had an electronic lock in the past and wondered about an EMP and decided to just change it out. Can't say I miss it. I can get into the manual safe in about 12 seconds. If I need anything in there any faster, then I guess I should've had it out already.

Who changed it out for you Mark?

Electronics now are not even the same as they were 4-5 years ago. They have advanced a lot, and I can honestly say the top models have 4x the use and opening ratings of their predecessors. I open about 18 locked out safes a month, and maybe end up actually drilling about 5 of them. Most of the time it's drilling 3 elocks and 2 dials out of that 5.

Why do you typically have to drill a dial lock, forgot combo or mechanical reasons?

Ive actually had dials fail many times over the years as it seems the gearing gets worn down, and why many are built to resist dirt, the dials and can develop a grind to them. I was unsure on electronics myself but seen dials fail to work at times too. I guess one must pick what they like. Nothing against the female folk, but seems many like the simplicity of the electronics.

No argument here, just reporting my own experience:

the gearing gets worn down, and why many are built to resist dirt, the dials and can develop a grind to them. I was unsure on electronics myself but seen dials fail to work at times too.

just from my own 'dial vs button' history:

I had a mid-level Liberty for 27 years, opened average of once a day x 365 x 27 years= 9855 times estimate, with ZERO failure to function [DATA point A]

Traded for larger mid-level Liberty with electronic brain running things....opened average of once a day x 365 x 3 years = 1095 estimate, before making first failure call to the Mfg hot line. Then another couple years with average of failure/call tech help at least 4 times/year, and always with the concern of actual lock function failure independent of EMP etc... add another 1095 openings with great anxiety of "will it open THIS TIME???".....[DATA POINT B]

final absolute failure/call of on-site safe tekkie to replace failed lock. So I had somewhere around 20% the service function (opening the lock) from my whiz-bang keypad silicon wonder.

Out with the bad chip, in with the doomed-to-eventual grindy-dial style. I should live so long....:cool:

Comparing data point A with data point B....musing & wondering off to read about Cascadia Subduction Zone now.....o_O

No argument here, just reporting my own experience:
just from my own 'dial vs button' history:
I had a mid-level Liberty for 27 years, opened average of once a day x 365 x 27 years= 9855 times estimate, with ZERO failure to function [DATA point A]
Traded for larger mid-level Liberty with electronic brain running things....opened average of once a day x 365 x 3 years = 1095 estimate, before making first failure call to the Mfg hot line. Then another couple years with average of failure/call tech help at least 4 times/year, and always with the concern of actual lock function failure independent of EMP etc... add another 1095 openings with great anxiety of "will it open THIS TIME???".....[DATA POINT B]
final absolute failure/call of on-site safe tekkie to replace failed lock. So I had somewhere around 20% the service function (opening the lock) from my whiz-bang keypad silicon wonder.
Out with the bad chip, in with the doomed-to-eventual grindy-dial style. I should live so long....:cool:
Comparing data point A with data point B....musing & wondering off to read about Cascadia Subduction Zone now.....o_O

Most my experiences are about once a day, but ya I do think about that whole EMP time to time, even the last few weeks
we have had radiation spikes and it always makes me wonder, hmm what if... well if we get a warning of any kind first thing will be pop the safe open so I can have access to my twinke stash LOL

PLZ LET OTHERS KNOW THAT THE SG ALLOWS THE OWNER TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD TO GREATER THAN "SIX" DIGITS AND WORKED BY OUR 5 FAMILY MEMBERS FOR YEARS AND YEARS.

BATTERY REPLACEMENT DOES NOT ALLOW GREATER THAN "SIX" AND LOCKS OUT ALL USERS.

WE WORKED WITH CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND USED FIRST "SIX" CHARACTERS OF CODE AND SAFE OPENED. IT IS "NOT" A LITHIUM BATTERY ISSUE !!!!

THX STEVE B.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads