JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've just acquired a used Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro II. It has obvious carry wear and the customary Idiot Scratch.

While cleaning it, I noticed one of the grips was loose. On trying to tighten it, I discovered the threaded stud is turning freely in the frame :( One does the same for the grip on the other side as well.

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Is Kimber pretty good about taking care of this kind of problem?

Google led me to a 1911 forum. Apparently this is a common problem with the aluminum frame Kimber. Most of the recommendations are to use loctite (everyone has a favorite color) to hold the 'bushing' in place and a #60 o-ring on the grip screws so they won't loosen. :)

Yes. Bushing is stripped. Loctite will work after threading in an oversize bushing.

Pretty disappointing to see how many people have this problem :( I might be looking to trade this Kimber for a S&W revolver soon.

That particular problem usually happens when you use the original grip screw with custom grips.
The original screw is most likely longer then needed and when screwed down it bottoms out and contacts the bushing, which then turns on the frame. Resulting in a stripped bushing.

The over size kit from Brownells is an excellent fix if the easy way (loctite) dees not do the trick. If you decide you just can't live with the problem an want a different gun I will be glad to cash you out of the Kimber for a S&W revolver or just some cash.

twoclones

"Pretty disappointing to see how many people have this problem I might be looking to trade this Kimber for a S&W revolver soon."

Or cash? A very fixable defect is no reason to get rid of one of the best 1911's ever made for an affordable price, unless you want to sell it to me.

I got the bushing kit from Brownell's and installed it today. It was very easy but I'd recommend using/making a machinist tapping block for re-tapping the holes for the new bushings.

I also tried putting #60 o-rings on the screw but didn't care for how that made the screw heads protrude from my grip. It was minor but I'd prefer they not protrude at all.

good to hear. I acquired a kimber in a trade and like you I had a stripped bushing which was very disapointing. I used red (hightest) loctite and it worked. 150 rounds later its still tight. I'm going to get the oversized busing kit if it comes out again. Glad to hear your fix worked, and I can relate with the frustation and disapointment. Stainless and aluminum is just dumb....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top