JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are mags and there are crap.

At Aberdeen Proving Ground mags are numbered with electric pencil. When a stoppage occurs the mag number and the round number in that magazine is recorded. Stoppages can be caused by mag, ammo, operator, or were crap in the first place. We ran same mags through all weapons. If more than one weapon has stoppage with that mag it was taken out of service and destroyed. About 95% of mag failures occur in first three rounds on the top thus mine are loaded with 26 rounds and the last three rounds out the barrel are tracer.

In the small arms testing business plastic mags have two ratings, one it works, two it's broke. Plastic is not a good alternative as we tested from 160F to -65 below zero.

The critical thing in cold is don't use the wrong lube. Folks in Alaska use LAW (Lubricant Arctic Weapon) and I have tested it at 65 below 0.
I am numbering my mags now and plan to be more aware when I have any failures. I solved this problem by putting my old magazine catch back in. Something about the new catch was letting the magazines be over inserted. Billm's post above was spot on.

That will help you track down problems. As well your mag catch was probably after market and the dimensions were not correct is what it sound like without seeing it.
It was a strike industries "enhanced" mag catch. The thing I didn't like about it was that the mag release button did not thread all the way through, so you couldn't over tighten and go back a turn to seat the catch in the frame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top