JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for help with a problem I had at the range.

After firing my first magazine, I ejected and inserted a new magazine. Slapped the bolt release and nothing happened. On troubleshooting also found that the magazine was stuck and would not eject. I had to pull with a crazy amount of force to get it out. This happened upon reloading with different magazines. Also I only load my magazines to 28 or 29 rounds. Anyone know what might be happening? I installed a strike industries mag catch and radian raptor charging handle prior to this range trip.

So some mags work fine? Look at the ones that do work real close vs the ones that dont... I noticed this on noreen receivers awhile back ago..The mag well was to tight for some mags to fit but all of them worked perfect in my other receivers

So some mags work fine? Look at the ones that do work real close vs the ones that dont... I noticed this on noreen receivers awhile back ago..The mag well was to tight for some mags to fit but all of them worked perfect in my other receivers
I'm using gen 2 pmags and I did notice that the corners had a little scuff on some of them but I can't say for sure those were the problem because I didn't notice until I was home cleaning my gear

Try backing off the mag release button one turn.
So the mag release button doesn't thread all the way through like a milspec button. To me it almost seems like it could be tighter but I can only thread it so far. If I back it off any then the catch pushes completely out of the receiver and sticks on the side, if that makes sense.

Did you try it with the regular magazine catch before installing the Strike Industry one?

If not try the regular one first to see if that solves the problem.

Did you try it with the regular magazine catch before installing the Strike Industry one?

If not try the regular one first to see if that solves the problem.
Yeah i shot it once after building, didn't have any issues. But I have a ton of pmags so I don't know if I used the same ones. I think I'm going to number all the mags and bring both mag catches next time I shoot and maybe I can narrow down the problem.

At the range I asked a couple people who were familiar with ARs and was told it didn't look like it was the mag catch. Neither could identify the problem though. If I yanked the mags out and then released the bolt, re inserted the mag, pulled the charging handle, everything worked normally. It was only when the bolt was held open that I had a problem.

with no upper or magazine in press your mag release and see if the mag catch clears the inside of the magwell. if not, back the button off 1 turn.

i have a cerakoted noreen lower and it works fine with the mags i use in it. the upper is chambered in 6.5 grendel. i use c products and e-lander magazines.

Are you driving the mag in past the insertion stop on the Pmag? If you whack it hard enough to over-ride the mag catch it gets things jammed up. The fact that everything works fine on a bolt forward
insertion kind of looks like a bolt back over insertion issue.
Could be a mag catch issue, as Reno said try the stock one.

Are you driving the mag in past the insertion stop on the Pmag? If you whack it hard enough to over-ride the mag catch it gets things jammed up. The fact that everything works fine on a bolt forward
Yeah I guess that is possible. That makes a lot of sense. I usually try to put them in very firmly.

So if the mag was over inserted, would/could that also jam the bolt release?

Let's see if we can narrow this down:
Mags worked fine.
installed a strike industries mag catch and radian raptor charging handle prior to this range trip.
Problems ensued.
I'd say change the stuff back and go from there.
Try the Radian charging handle first, no problems then re install the SI mag catch...
That should narrow it down easily.

So if the mag was over inserted, would/could that also jam the bolt release?
Yup. There is that little tab that the follower lifts to engage the bolt hold open feature. If you ram a
magazine past the overinsertion stop, the bottom of the cutout on the rear of the mag hits that tab
and keeps the bolt release from working. Take a hard look at your magazine catch and your magazines.
The D shaped raised area just below the rectangular cutout on the mags should hit the magazine
catch and prevent over-insertion. If the raised area is worn or your mag catch is somehow out
of adjustment the mag will blow right past the catch on a bolt open hard whack insertion.

Yeah i shot it once after building, didn't have any issues. But I have a ton of pmags so I don't know if I used the same ones. I think I'm going to number all the mags and bring both mag catches next time I shoot and maybe I can narrow down the problem.

At the range I asked a couple people who were familiar with ARs and was told it didn't look like it was the mag catch. Neither could identify the problem though. If I yanked the mags out and then released the bolt, re inserted the mag, pulled the charging handle, everything worked normally. It was only when the bolt was held open that I had a problem.
Did you mark the mags the strike industry's was having issues with?

Put in the regular catch and see if they have the same issue.

Sounds like your on the right track with what you typed here though.

Here's a review of the same SI mag catch from optics planet:
"A pretty and cute design but not made for a US made AR lower as far as I know. The shape of the release IS NOT shaped to fit a Pmag or a SIG magazine. You have to slam and slap the magazine into the mag well very hard... very hard. To release the mag is just as hard. I will not take to the range to avoid an injury or embarrassment. It bothers me that some reviewers gave this a 4 and 3 star review while noting similar manufacturing defects. I will never trust another Planet Optic review again. Installed on a brand new 2017 AERO AR receiver."

I am also using an aero lower. I think it's the mag catch. I guess I will replace it, all I really wanted was the red mag release button anyway.

m3-tfb.jpg

There are mags and there are crap.

At Aberdeen Proving Ground mags are numbered with electric pencil. When a stoppage occurs the mag number and the round number in that magazine is recorded. Stoppages can be caused by mag, ammo, operator, or were crap in the first place. We ran same mags through all weapons. If more than one weapon has stoppage with that mag it was taken out of service and destroyed. About 95% of mag failures occur in first three rounds on the top thus mine are loaded with 26 rounds and the last three rounds out the barrel are tracer.

In the small arms testing business plastic mags have two ratings, one it works, two it's broke. Plastic is not a good alternative as we tested from 160F to -65 below zero.

The critical thing in cold is don't use the wrong lube. Folks in Alaska use LAW (Lubricant Arctic Weapon) and I have tested it at 65 below 0.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top