JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I requested that my damaged radio be replaced; that damaged radio came back in today's mail. I very recently told the group leader of my uncomfortable feeling about their violent political talk, so I am 99 % out. One year of planning and some bucks down the drain. Their radical left minded thinking was symptomatic of their poor ethics, mores, and campfire code. Small minded people. Big loss for me but it would have been worst to go ahead and do the elk hunt with them given their poor standards.

Might have got off cheap

What unit do you have your tag for?

Just because you got a tag as part of the 'party' provision does not mean you have to camp with them, or do anything with them for that matter.

I am going to take a wild guess and say this group doesn't sound long on hunting experience?

People like this definitely support the reason the term 'Portland Hunters' has been used over here on the 'East Side' for a long time.

On the west side also . I've seen them shoot cow elk thinking they scored a large deer. The Game warden was very unhappy with them

You could try ahead of time to get everyone to agree that the topics of politics, religion and sex with animals are off the table for the entire trip..... Why people would feel the draw to bring up something as negative as politics while out doing something as positive as being in nature and hunting with friends baffles me.

Having lived "among them" my whole life they seem incapable of controlling their desire for interjecting politics into situations and conversations that aren't relevant.

I've deduced they think it makes them sound cool.

Having lived "among them" my whole life they seem incapable of controlling their desire for interjecting politics into situations and conversations that aren't relevant.

I've deduced they think it makes them sound cool.

I give them the Socratic Method coupled with Stephan Molyneaux's "Steel Man" concept. The steel man is the opposite of the straw man fallacy. Rather than creating a straw man, you confront their ideology at its most ideal form. This combo when used objectively is difficult to defend. It's especially difficult when you use their political heroes as the example. When viewed objectively, none are innocent.

I give them the Socratic Method coupled with Stephan Molyneaux's "Steel Man" concept. The steel man is the opposite of the straw man fallacy. Rather than creating a straw man, you confront their ideology at its most ideal form. This combo when used objectively is difficult to defend. It's especially difficult when you use their political heroes as the example. When viewed objectively, none are innocent.

That could work with people willing to listen to facts/reason, but when ideology is so overpowering that it blinds them to clear and concise evidence, nothing can be done.

For example: Asking Biden voters to promote Biden based on his merits and without mentioning Trump - can't do it.

If Biden had been a R candidate he would have been laughed off the stage as the incompetent stooge he is.

That could work with people willing to listen to facts/reason, but when ideology is so overpowering that it blinds them to clear and concise evidence, nothing can be done.
My FIL once pontificated that he hated Rush Limbaugh and all the he said and stood for. I asked him how long he had been listening to Rush, and he responded with "I've never listened to him or his show." I said that if he never listened to him how can he be a church deacon and not listen to others...... He stormed out and pouted in the other room. Rather satisfying for me!

My FIL once pontificated that he hated Rush Limbaugh and all the he said and stood for. I asked him how long he had been listening to Rush, and he responded with "I've never listened to him or his show." I said that if he never listened to him how can he be a church deacon and not listen to others...... He stormed out and pouted in the other room. Rather satisfying for me!

That's an act of love. Plenty people I know think love is strictly hearts and flowers. Rebuke is also love. The challenge is making these discussions palatable to both parties.

I used to work a hardcore Bernie bro. He was working towards an MA in theology. We had difficult convos for sure; however, I can say as a result of hanging in there and earnestly trying to understand his position, he now owns guns and votes for the enforcement of our Constitution.I have also gained a lifelong friend.

Last Edited:
Remember the old saying "Birds of a feather flock together". Time to pick another flock. I know that all of my friends think like I do. Otherwise they are not my friends. I surely will not be inviting them over for dinner. You have to be around people YOU trust!

So far it sounds like your FIL plays the role of brainwashed sheep really well. I despise a lot of people/things, but it is conceptually impossible to hate something/someone you have no knowledge about or experience with.

Very odd to consider the cognitive process involved in that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top