JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
lol, reminds me of campfire talk when obama was president...

regardless, I just avoid people I disagree with. Sometimes it sucks, but it's better than dealing with a bunch of crap that I don't want to deal with.

A busy day in Wester Ross, about 250 miles north of Edinburgh....

1603218564271.png

It's tough finding good hunting partners these days. I've gone thru a few hunting partners in the last few years. One good friend moved out of state due to job. Really sorry to see him go. Thought I found a good partner until the first morning when he started drinking whisky during breakfast and through the day. Never went hunting with him again.
I completely agree that it's not worth hunting with some people if you're not comfortable being around them. That damaged radio is a big indicator.
This season I'm hunting alone. The wife is not happy due to my health issues. My concession was to buy a Garmin Mini InReach satellite tracker. When I'm out of the truck, I have the tracker running. I also send a "I'm Okay" message every 4 hours.

It's tough finding good hunting partners these days.
Man ain't this the truth!

I have been fortunate over the years and have had some good, long term ones but like anything people drift apart due to life in general.

Only one time do I remember a moderately odd character who drew a party tag with my 'then' group. He was a friend of a VERY good friend of mine from out of the area. He was an ok guy, nothing really bad about him. Kind of a quiet, 'wall flower' type. Always had a 'questioning' , 'unsure' look on his face.

It's tough finding good hunting partners these days. I've gone thru a few hunting partners in the last few years. One good friend moved out of state due to job. Really sorry to see him go. Thought I found a good partner until the first morning when he started drinking whisky during breakfast and through the day. Never went hunting with him again.
I completely agree that it's not worth hunting with some people if you're not comfortable being around them. That damaged radio is a big indicator.
This season I'm hunting alone. The wife is not happy due to my health issues. My concession was to buy a Garmin Mini InReach satellite tracker. When I'm out of the truck, I have the tracker running. I also send a "I'm Okay" message every 4 hours.

How do you like the MIni In Reach?

My brother doesn't have a smart phone so when he goes out for long rides on his motorcycle, his wife makes him take their cats collar which has a GPS tracker. It works pretty well.

I've given up with hunting buds. I'm a bird hunter myself so you'd think it's easier. Last time, the guy I went with talked so much I was considering shooting myself so I could enjoy some silence :eek: Not to mention his skirt-chasing gig at every meal stop; he's married. Then there's Joe cancel-at-the-last minute, sticking me with the lodge bill.

I'm done with it; fly solo or stay home.

Your a hunter but a man FIRST! Tell them what you feel and don't go with them. Being an a-hole will make you feel better (assertive or blunt is probably the politically correct words, but we're Elk Hunters). Personally, I found out the hard way that elk hunting should always be with people you enjoy being with and make you laugh. Now, Deer hunts are for rookies and newbies, and maybe future elk hunts if they qualify. I've always tried to be the a-hole in our group and I try hard at it; but my buddies can't help it! Their just natural a-holes and can't help being that way. I grew up with one of our guys, did everything with him growing up, have known him for over 60 years and I still don't like him (some of them say I should try a little harder) but it works better that way. Good luck! Life is to short to be unhappy.

Your a hunter but a man FIRST! Tell them what you feel and don't go with them. Being an a-hole will make you feel better (assertive or blunt is probably the politically correct words, but we're Elk Hunters). Personally, I found out the hard way that elk hunting should always be with people you enjoy being with and make you laugh. Now, Deer hunts are for rookies and newbies, and maybe future elk hunts if they qualify. I've always tried to be the a-hole in our group and I try hard at it; but my buddies can't help it! Their just natural a-holes and can't help being that way. I grew up with one of our guys, did everything with him growing up, have known him for over 60 years and I still don't like him (some of them say I should try a little harder) but it works better that way. Good luck! Life is to short to be unhappy.

I discussed this matter diplomatically with the party leader last Saturday with a request that he think the conversation over and or discuss the matter with the group. I suggested that the group of Pdx liberals just might not want me in their camp as I noticed the conversation patterns, the heightened violent anti white house talk, wishing long painful covid deaths to the members of the white house, and all in response to an overnight radio broadcast that the prez was ill with covid. This violent talk and hopeful pain to all that supported him went on for about 2 days before I packed up and left. I requested the party leader, who tends to be more moderate, but liberal, consider our discussion for 48 hours and let me know if I should exit the next elk hunt. He had informed that at no time during the deer hunt that he had heard anything adverse against me, but did, frankly, know of and recognized the extreme left leaning Pdx violent talk. The 48 hours have passed. I may figure out a way to go down there on my own, but running a camp myself is a chore at 72 .

What you are describing is NOT what I consider to be 'normal' behavior for 'hunters' in a camp - but then I am kind of 'old school' with my hunting history and background.

These people sound dangerous and bear considerable watching.....

Where is the poll?

Not worth it. You will become 50% of what you surround yourself with. Find better hunting partners for the future.

What you are describing is NOT what I consider to be 'normal' behavior for 'hunters' in a camp - but then I am kind of 'old school' with my hunting history and background.

These people sound dangerous and bear considerable watching.....

Agreed! I have been hunting on and off since 1985 in deer and elk camps, numerous outdoor wilderness adventures, turkey hunts, coyote,cat and bear, and these conversations never really came up. I am thinking this group is part of a violent anti-establishment culture breed Pdx leftist thinking reactionary types. I did not engage them, but I found their violent expressions an embarrassment and they were sober! I should add that their violent thoughts of Covid inflicted pain were expressed with glee. Sickos.

I requested that my damaged radio be replaced; that damaged radio came back in today's mail. I very recently told the group leader of my uncomfortable feeling about their violent political talk, so I am 99 % out. One year of planning and some bucks down the drain. Their radical left minded thinking was symptomatic of their poor ethics, mores, and campfire code. Small minded people. Big loss for me but it would have been worst to go ahead and do the elk hunt with them given their poor standards.
Find some national forest land in that area and go hunting by yourself. I've let hunting partners go for a lot less.

How do you like the MIni In Reach?

I like it a lot. It's not big or heavy. It has a SOS button if I run into trouble.
I have the Recreation Plan. There is a $25 subscription fee (each year) and $15 for each month that I use it. You can turn it off for the months you're not using it so you won't be charged. With the lowest price Freedom Plan, you do have a very small amount of free text messages. It's 50 cents for each text message after you use up your free messages. But the good news is that you have 3 Preset messages that you can send unlimited times for free. Each message you send will also include a link to the Garmin site with a map of where your location.
My first message is "I'm OK". It's addressed to the wife and my kids. I send it about every 4 hours while I'm out. My third message is, "I may be in trouble - Stand By".
There is also a tracking feature that sends out your location every 10 minutes. But battery usage increases. Right now, I find with the tracking mode on and sending out a preset message every 4 hours(during the day), my battery will last about 3 days. With the tracking mode on, people with the password can access your map on the Garmin site and see where you are within the 10 minute window.
I have it connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth so I can send text messages thru the InReach. 160 characters max per text. I figure if I'm in moderate trouble (flat tire 20 miles from paved road), screw the 50 cents! I'm texting!
My plan is that I will turn it off at the end of hunting season and turn it on when hiking season begins. So there is a cost to use it but I think it's worth having during those times I'm outside of cell phone coverage and on my own. I was thinking of even taking it with me while traveling. It's legal to use in Canada and Europe.

Last Edited:
"Hey guys, I am going to bow out of hunting camp. I can't commit to being able to participate during the whole hunt and I don't want anyone to depend on resources or help that might not be there. If I end up going out, I'd rather focus on my hunt because I'm not sure how much time I'll have. Good luck!"

I like it a lot. It's not big or heavy. It has a SOS button if I run into trouble.
I have the Recreation Plan. There is a $25 subscription fee (each year) and $15 for each month that I use it. You can turn it off for the months you're not using it so you won't be charged. With the lowest price Freedom Plan, you do have a very small amount of free text messages. It's 50 cents for each text message after you use up your free messages. But the good news is that you have 3 Preset messages that you can send unlimited times for free. Each message you send will also include a link to the Garmin site with a map of where your location.
My first message is "I'm OK". It's addressed to the wife and my kids. I send it about every 4 hours while I'm out. My third message is, "I may be in trouble - Stand By".
There is also a tracking feature that sends out your location every 10 minutes. But battery usage increases. Right now, I find with the tracking mode on and sending out a preset message every 4 hours(during the day), my battery will last about 3 days. With the tracking mode on, people with the password can access your map on the Garmin site and see where you are within the 10 minute window.
I have it connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth so I can send text messages thru the InReach. 160 characters max per text. I figure if I'm in moderate trouble (flat tire 20 miles from paved road), screw the 50 cents! I'm texting!
My plan is that I will turn it off at the end of hunting season and turn it on when hiking season begins. So there is a cost to use it but I think it's worth having during those times I'm outside of cell phone coverage and on my own. I was thinking of even taking it with me while traveling. It's legal to use in Canada and Europe.

I see that Costco has the Garmin in Reach SE+Satellite Communicator, which looks like the big brother for the mini, but I am not sure. Costco is $280. This looks like gps map capacity and satellite. Did you review this model before the "Mini"? Thanks.

I see that Costco has the Garmin in Reach SE+Satellite Communicator, which looks like the big brother for the mini, but I am not sure. Costco is $280. This looks like gps map capacity and satellite. Did you review this model before the "Mini"? Thanks.

I did look at the bigger and heavier InReach Explorer. If I didn't have a couple GPS units around here already, I would have considered it. I bought my InReach Mini at Costco for $323. I think the SE is the older model but I'm not sure.
I went with the Mini because it's so small and light. It's just an emergency device that I hope I won't have to use much and primarily when I'm out of cell phone coverage. With the Mini, it works best with the Earthmate app on your phone and an InReach Sync app on your computer. You will also be prompted to create an account on the Garmin Explore site.
With the Mini, a lot of info such as contact data, preset text messages, and such will have to be set up on the Garmin site and then synched to your device. With the larger, you can set up some of it on the device.
Bottom line, a device to be carried but used seldom. While out hunting, I'll press the "I'm OK" message every so often. Otherwise, it's just hanging off my vest. During the hiking season, I prefer hiking at Mt Rainier and I don't need a GPS for those trails. It's really a "Help me here!" Or "Find my body here" tool.
Another note: I modified my main message to "I'm OK. Do not reply unless you need to reach me." My wife would often automatically reply "OK" to my text. Once you go thru the free text messages, that short text costs 50¢ each. Not a lot but it does add up. Again, if there is trouble, I'll gladly pay the cost.
I also wanted to add that these run off the Iridium satellite. You need a view of the sky to get the best signal. In obscure places, your message will probably be delayed due to poor signal. The worse time lag I've had so far is about 10 minutes to send the "I'm OK" message (it beeps when message sent).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top