JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, I *love* hanging out with pricks like that -- the misery they might cause you, I give back 10x!
The thing that amazes me is these folk think they have the moral high ground.
Really, deeply angers them when you show, with their own logic, that the foundation of their thinking is as solid as marshmallow.
Is your spot transferrable?
If they insist on talking politics, you can ask their thoughts on whether Harris "Lewinski'd" Joe to land the VP spot on the suicide train.
Edit: if you go, be obnoxiously noisy. Bring a recording of cougar sounds and play for your group.

Last Edited:
This is why I have the pleasure of hunting with the group I do and have for the last twenty years. There were five of us this year and two liberal minded and three conservative minded. One is a new guy and is a standup guy - I look forward to hunting with him in the future. One of the members is the wife of one of the guys I have hunted with for almost those twenty years. She sure carries her weight and am impressed by how hard she hunts.
We dont discuss politics knowing this but pretty much everything else is game for discussion. The one thing each of us know is that if anyone had a problem we could depend on the other, this is a given. The group ages between 40 to almost 80 years of age. We are not great hunters but . Each of us carry our own weight. When we are ;ucky enough to get an animal we all pitch in. There is a total trust - hard to hunt with some one you dont.

We have tried to bring new blood into our camp with some just not cutting it. This is why when I see someone say I need a hunting partner or I want to learn to hunt I am not necessarily willing to offer up my good thing.

I am going to post a wanted ad under this section to see if there may be solo or small group hunters in the same unit that want to link up. Several days ago I gave the party leader a polite 48 hour notice or request that I not go if they were not feeling confortable with me because of their political beliefs, despite I was 95 % silent on their issues. He knows I am a centrist conservative and support the White House policies and do not vote for personalities. If I do not like up, or find a solution, I will not go alone. Likely, there is a good reason why this happened and that will emerge.

A simple perspective from an older hunter. Let your conscience be your guide, having hunted with people like you have mentioned in the past, why set yourself up for more bad memories? Better a hunt on your own than one with idiots that are poorly educated about what matters.
There are general season spike hunts over on the east side which are usually okay.

What unit do you have your tag for?

Just because you got a tag as part of the 'party' provision does not mean you have to camp with them, or do anything with them for that matter.

I am going to take a wild guess and say this group doesn't sound long on hunting experience?

People like this definitely support the reason the term 'Portland Hunters' has been used over here on the 'East Side' for a long time.

Last Edited:
Things NEVER mentioned here in UK, either on a range or in the field -

1. Politics.

2. Religion.

3. Other mens' wives or wimmin.

I have absolutely no idea of either the politics or the religion of anybody I shoot with, apart from the couple of Sikhs, that is. They are unmistakeable. Politics is never mentioned, not because it's a taboo subject, but because my political views are nothing to do with anybody except the guy I see when I'm shaving each morning. 'sides, we don't have the publicly-protesting self-destructing loonies that you do, that's for sure.

Other peoples' female companions are never mentioned - ever - just got nothing to do with anybody whether or not I've stopped beating Mrs tac.

At Scrabble, that is.

What unit do you have your tag for?

Just because you got a tag as part of the 'party' provision does not mean you have to camp with them, or do anything with them for that matter.

I am going to take a wild guess and say this group doesn't sound long on hunting experience?

People like this definitely support the reason the term 'Portland Hunters' has been used over here on the 'East Side' for a long time.

I agree with you. I am from Portland and have hunted the East side throughout my life since 1988. I was invited to hunt with these Portland based Cascade hunt areas against my innate resistance. But for having a good relationship with one Steelhead fishing buddy, and party leader, I went along with him on two hunts and his group these last two years. Both hunts resulted in their flaming anti White House condemnations.

Mainly these guys are road-type hunters; none of them have any idea of preseason back woods scouting-but they will drive roads. GPS topomap assisted hunting is beyond the scope of their comprehension.

Where is the group planning on camping?

PM me the details of the location if you know. If not too far I may take a ride out that direction and 'nose around'.

Looks like the road scouting is in the areas of Mahlaks Mountain, Maiden Peak near Odell Creek, camping along the Odell and or Snow Creek near the upper Deschutes behind Lava Lake west of Wickiup. Looking at Davis and Crane Prairie Reservoirs. These are high people and vehicle traffic areas; I think.

Looks like the road scouting is in the areas of Mahlaks Mountain, Maiden Peak near Odell Creek, camping along the Odell and or Snow Creek near the upper Deschutes behind Lava Lake west of Wickiup. Looking at Davis and Crane Prairie Reservoirs. These are high people and vehicle traffic areas; I think.
You could say that.:s0114:

Edit to add: when you say places like that I recall the fly ship nationals, world class fishing and crowds of yuppies swarming the forest.

Last Edited:
You could say that.:s0114:

Edit to add: when you say places like that I recall the fly ship nationals, world class fishing and crowds of yuppies swarming the forest.

During the deer season I visited briefly the Lava Lake to find the Eugene REI fashioned yuppies attempting to inflate their kayaks with a car battery motor driven air pump, but they found it confusing how to make the arrangements!!!

I requested that my damaged radio be replaced; that damaged radio came back in today's mail. I very recently told the group leader of my uncomfortable feeling about their violent political talk, so I am 99 % out. One year of planning and some bucks down the drain. Their radical left minded thinking was symptomatic of their poor ethics, mores, and campfire code. Small minded people. Big loss for me but it would have been worst to go ahead and do the elk hunt with them given their poor standards.

Plus the fact that someone in their group destroyed your radio and refuses to fix/replace it. :mad:

You could try ahead of time to get everyone to agree that the topics of politics, religion and sex with animals are off the table for the entire trip..... Why people would feel the draw to bring up something as negative as politics while out doing something as positive as being in nature and hunting with friends baffles me.

Folks I had been with elk camping for years. Very conservative. We talked about everything. Then my buddy, his camp, started inviting ALL of his family and some other friends... not really selective about who was there, drunk son, good son, wild azz daughter, sister, BIL, grandson, 2yr old great grandson... you get the picture. It got crowded and full of loud music and too much partying at night for my tastes, but it was his gig. Then, during Obama's reign I made a negative comment and the son and daughter came unglued, and the Dad, at least to his credit, yelled "No politics in elk camp!"... good by me. But when bad orange man won in 2016, the rule was out the window. The last year I hunted with them, I left the group in disgust... people are passionate in this day and age and many will not stick to the golden rule. No more camping with them!!!

I also have/had a friend, that I've known for 30+ years, that is a lib (cum leftist)... listens to NPR all day and most of the night. It was okay until he started attacking me for things in politics that I had nothing to do with. I requested over and over and over, that he not bring up politics at all (since it was always hateful comments). Then last year he insisted that I needed to be educated. We can't respectfully disagree, no, I need to be educated. That was it for me. I used to hunt with him from time to time and shoot some squirrels too... no more!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top