JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
violent minded leftist democrats wishing harm/sickness in the white house. I had hunted deer with them about 14 days ago. I left early from the deer hunt, in part; because of their hostile and violent discussions.

Loaned out some of my equipment for the deer hunt, feed that very well, and today my equipement came back damaged. That Elk hunt starts in about 10 days. Thinking of jumping ship, really can not stomach the violent Pdx Liberal conversations; and am thinking of going elsewhere. Are there general season hunts available on the East Side? Or, am I locked into the group leader/party hunt now because we draw the area tags? Ideas? I do not think I can stomach their political hostility.

Sorry you had a bad deer hunting trip.

I know that tags . licenses , gas and time , to say the least are valuable...So with that in mind :
Hunting is supposed to fun...if you are not comfortable with the people making up the hunting party , then I would say find another group or place within the area to hunt.
Maybe even "write it off" this year , as hurtful as that will feel now....for your piece of mind later.

I say that last bit as a last resort....as i don't like being controlled by others...and like I said earlier...what you put into a hunt is valuable.
Andy

Didn't you know these guys BEFORE the hunt???

Why didn't you say something? You could have steered the conversation away from that topic.

Politics cut both ways. I'd bet that you've had similar things to say about the other side...

You could try ahead of time to get everyone to agree that the topics of politics, religion and sex with animals are off the table for the entire trip..... Why people would feel the draw to bring up something as negative as politics while out doing something as positive as being in nature and hunting with friends baffles me.

Just call them and say you're sick and can't go, then post camp someplace a few miles away from the main group. Assuming this is on public land...
No reason to go hang out with people you don't like, except when the wife makes ya.

Your best bet on the west side is to buy a weyerhauser access pass and stalk the clear cuts. It's about $400 to hunt, but it's the only way I know to be productive for elk on the west side without owning land.

Just call them and say you're sick and can't go, then post camp someplace a few miles away from the main group. Assuming this is on public land...
No reason to go hang out with people you don't like, except when the wife makes ya.

Your best bet on the west side is to buy a weyerhauser access pass and stalk the clear cuts. It's about $400 to hunt, but it's the only way I know to be productive for elk on the west side without owning land.

yeah, except those passes have been sold out for months.

Not to be Mr. Paranoia, but you said they had violent thoughts and commentary -- it might actually be dangerous if they find out you aren't part of their revolution. Alternatively, they could be out there practicing stalking and sniping skills and who knows, you could end up discussing why you are associated with them if one of them decides to do something like that SKS dude did to Scalise in the baseball practice.

Granted, these are all things that are extremely low probability, but the negative consequences are extremely high if they happen. If your hunt was going to be fun and enjoyable, then it is rational to risk extremely unlikely consequences. If you expect the hunt to be terrible though, the best you can hope for is a lousy time and the worst, something literally horrific. A risk with outcomes ranging from bad to worse, is not a rational bet.

I hunted with them last year and they lite raised the rabid polities and I kept my mouth shut. I asked the team leader this year to keep the politics off the table. Then the white house came down with covid; heard over the radio when deer hunting which raised glee that some would have a long and painful death. I kept my mouth shut. Loaned a two way radio out to the group for them while they were out hunting as they requested. More rabid violent wishful painful death talks, so I left hunting early. My radio arrived today, with missing parts. Disgusted.

I would also take a pass, I can understand the frustration, but IMO not worth it. Especially as they didn't even have respect for your gear

I'd vote for a hard pass.
Additionally, I would make it clear why I passed. And... as a tagline, I would point at the damaged radio as an example of their collective honorability.

It may be notable that I'm retired military and then retired public service and just don't have room in my sphere for small minded or small hearted people...

I say go with them. Then spray paint graffiti on the tent walls, bust out their truck windows and take half of what is in their wallets. If their rifles are black, take them away also for the safety of the children. If they truely are violent leftist, they will praise you and make you the party leader next year.

I requested that my damaged radio be replaced; that damaged radio came back in today's mail. I very recently told the group leader of my uncomfortable feeling about their violent political talk, so I am 99 % out. One year of planning and some bucks down the drain. Their radical left minded thinking was symptomatic of their poor ethics, mores, and campfire code. Small minded people. Big loss for me but it would have been worst to go ahead and do the elk hunt with them given their poor standards.

I'm also gearing up for a hunting party in a couple weeks and fell much the same way, except I'm very sure these people listen to too much Alex Jones and, despite leaning right, it gets real old hearing the echo chamber echoing. BUT at least one of the people I'm hunting with is a pretty good friend of mine so it should overall be fun. Maybe just go along with it? You can probably just tune out the politics

So you are debating your safety of being around armed verbally violent leftists who may be drinking or doing drugs... Sounds like a really bad scene., and a no-brainer choice to me. I've vetoed staying for less. Life is too short to make bad decisions for little benefit. Keep your conscience clean. Go hunt on yer own.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top