JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided to buy my son a model 42 that's a 22lr over .410. Sportsmans had it for 379.00. I get it home and take him out back to shoot it. pull hammer back and it will not stay unless you manipulate the trigger forward with your finger at same time. Took it back to sportsmans immediately but all they could do was ship it to Savage. 6 weeks they say. I have been told I am better off throwing rocks than shooting a savage. I am starting to see the light :( . What a bummer to have to wait 6 more weeks.

Sucks to see, I know Savage has some big haters in the market, but I have an overall good experience with them. They build some great, accurate rifles at a good price. Sucks you got a lemon, but seems like a function check before you left the store could have saved some time and heart break. Good luck, hope the weeks pass quickly. :D

I bought a Savage 320 shotgun from Big5 and after 6 shells, it broke. I had to return it AT MY EXPENSE for a warranty claim for a gun that was less than 3 weeks old. That sucks. They did replace the shotgun with a whole new one. But warranty work for a gun you just bought (and even later but just even this) is ridiculous. It cost me an extra $38 dollars for the gun. When I had a problem with a S&W Sigma 9F S&W sent me a call tag and I was agle to return it at no cost to me and that was for a gun several years old. Big difference in "customer service there." (oh yeah, and it took Savage over 6 weeks to get me my new shotgun.) I will not buy Savage again.

I've always had good luck with savage rifles, I love the ones I own. However I tend to look for "value" in a rifle, when I first bought mine (savage 10FP-LE) comparable rifles from remington were going for nearly twice the price. That equation has reversed, and now the remington's are going for about $600 and the savages are going for nearly twice that for a comparable rifle.

I wouldn't say don't buy a savage, far from it, good rifles, but there are other rifles out there that are starting to edge them out in terms of performance and price.

Why is the rifle broken? who knows, it likely could have been damaged in transit or with the employees screwing around in the back room. I like to think it didn't leave the factory that way.

I've always done well with Savage bolt action hunting rifles. I was drawn to them because they are one of the few manufactures that build a left hand bolt for a reasonable price. I have three now and each has worked well, absolutely no issues and accurate.

Sucks you had a bad experience and function check it is a must, I get it being a rim fire you might not be able to dry fire it but certainly should be able to check the action (will it cock/lock) before leaving the store. As for having to send it back to the manufacturer I believe that is pretty standard.

Savage makes a fine line of firearms.
You won't be disappointed.
Sure there's going to be a manufacturing problem crop up from time to time. Just the way it is.

They shouldn't make customers pay to return defective items. That is not good in my book. If you don't have an issue you can say that there will be defects from time to time so buy. But I'm not going to give my money to someone who, even if you get out of the retailer's door and find a defect, makes you pay to return it.

I had some quality issues with Ruger recently, including FTF with the replacement gun they sent me too! Everyone is making things cheaper these days. Frustrating. I can relate to your disappointment.

Gotta know... did you try contacting Savage directly? I phoned Ruger in Arizona and sent them a 10-second iPhone video of the problem. They emailed me a pre-paid UPS shipping label. I sent it that day and got a properly functioning pistol back exactly 7 days later. No FFL needed the second time since it was the same gun. (BTW, those little strip mall UPS stores don't ship or receive firearms, but the big UPS hubs do, like Tualatin and Swan Island in Portland).

I'm guessing that firearm manufacturers like to resolve quality issues quickly, lest they earn a reputation for faulty weapons AND crappy customer service. Perhaps Savage might respond like Ruger did if you bypass the retailer? Worth a try if that's still an option.

Good luck. You deserve a functional weapon in exchange for your hard-earned money - and pronto!

I did contact them directly, I did not go through the retailer because they made it a point when I bought it that any problems were to go through the manufacturer directly. And when I did they told me to send it prepaid. I did but wasn't happy about it. Their documentation on their website also says the same.

~~ Bob

Yeah, not a savage fan myself. Savage bolt actions feel clunky and cheap. Some people like them but I'll stick to remington's and winchester's. I see no reason to spend any money on cheap, poorly manufactured firearms. Savage is one notch above high point in my opinion.

Their documentation on their website also says the same.

From their website (red added by me for emphasis):
Savage Arms
Savage Arms said:
Warranty Returns for U.S. Customers:

All firearms owned by individuals within the United States are to be sent to Savage Arms, Inc. at the owner's expense. Warranty repairs will be returned to the owner at the expense of Savage Arms, Inc.

Last Edited:
I have always found savage bolt guns to be rather clunky feeling, I don't care for the way they look, that being said I have seen some savages shoot and function very well and very accurately. the old ford/chevy argument again. I do own one savage, a 1957 model 99f in .308 that will stay with me as long as I am capable of having a firearm.

Complaining about a Savage? Or a Ruger? How about a $1300 Kimber rifle? Sent them detailed pic and a detailed letter when I sent the gun back to them at my expense. They didn't address the problem correctly, in fact, I swear they didn't read the letter or look at the pics. I now will take it to someone who listens and will get it fixed. But I tell you, I'll take my chances on a Ruger (not really. perfect record with the several I've owned) or a Savage (same thing) before I ever spend another nickle with Kimber.

Clunky feeling Savage bolt action? Yeah, the stocks are like a 2x4. Replace it with a Hogue, and tune the trigger while you have the stock off. You will think you have a new rifle.

As far as function checking. If I can't check it, I won't buy it. One good reason to stay far away from Dick's.

I have always found savage bolt guns to be rather clunky feeling, I don't care for the way they look, that being said I have seen some savages shoot and function very well and very accurately. the old ford/chevy argument again. I do own one savage, a 1957 model 99f in .308 that will stay with me as long as I am capable of having a firearm.

I found mine smoothed right out after handling my Mosin for a few weeks, Savage seemed like butter smooth after that. Then I went back to my 700 and suddenly the Savage was clunky again!

The family has had Savage rifles since the 60's I currently own 4 my son 2 Dad had 2. Never had a single problem My Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 shoots better then 1/2MOA with hand loads. My sons BiMart special Model 111 in 30-06 shoots sub 1 MOA with factory and 3/4 MOA with handloads.

My only interaction with Savage service or parts was to try to buy a pair of long action screws to fit the Boyds Stock I bought for my MKII FTV .22 and the guy said not to worry about paying for the screws he would just stick a couple in a padded envelope and drop them in the mail. I had them 3 days later.

Owning good quality Savage rifles has nothing to do with luck. They are one of the finest manufacturers in the business. My family has owned them for generations. I personally have owned the previously mentioned Bi-Mart specials, rimfires, Accu-Trigger rifles and a new Model 42. All work so well that they will never be sold or traded. I would gladly trust my hunt, my target and my life in a Savage. I honestly believe that their customer service may lack simply because they don't get many complaints.

I think a Savage DBM in .35 Whelen might be one of my next guns. Of course, after seeing Mark W.'s photos of his Boyd stock installation on his Mark II, I just may need to modify mine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top