JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I have noticed that there are quite a few 1911 owners out there with what I would call carry pistols that are between 5.25 and 5.5 inches tall. For example:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-commander-classic-bobtail/

<broken link removed>

The only pistol I have that is near this height seem too tall to carry concealed. It seems that the height (from top of slide to bottom of magazine) would be critical in determining the carryability of a pistol.

So, do you carry a full sized framed 1911, or have you opted for the smaller (4.75") "compact" frame? Opinions?

Thanks for your input...

I carry both a full size 5" and a commander 4.25" 1911.
Both have the same height from the top of the slide to the bottom of the magazine.
However I find personally that the 4.25" commander carrys better than a full size. Concealment is not an issue on either one for me and I consider my self average at 6
' and 200 lbs

The officer sized 1911's have a shorter frame and a 3.5" barrel and carry one less round.
And are a little easy to conceal and carry due to the shorter dimensions and reduced weight.

I carry the Kimber Compact Stainless II, which has a Commander length barrel, but an Officers size frame. I also have a regular Commander, a full size Government model and an Officers model. I like the Officers grip size and the longer barrel and sight radius of the Kimber, I think it is an ideal compromise if you could only own one and carry one.

It all depends on where you carry and what clothes you are wearing. If it's summer time and only have a T-shirt then I carry a Kimber ultra carry 2 in a IWB in SOB. If it gets cold enougfh for a coat or flannel then a full size works same style of carry or a Kydex paddle. Learn to accessarize depending on the weather and practice drawing from all used locations.

Kimber Pro Carry, Aluminum full size frame, 4" barrel.
Colt lightweight Commander 4-1/4" bbl, again full size alum frame.
Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. IWB holster. 24-7 carry. Works great for me.

I carry what I shoot well..which.when it comes to 1911's..in my case..means the shorter barreled models..either full or Officer's sized frames.. In the colder months..I carry a full sized HK USP .45.. You don't want to carry what you dress for..you want to dress for what you carry..

ive been carrying a full size kimber for six months in the small of my back never had any problems, yesterday i tried the cross draw position and had 5 or 6 people notice. i dont know if this will help you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top