JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone had any experience with the ProMag 50 round Drum mag for the 10/22? I have been thinking about buying one, but I have read a lot of negative reviews online about them, and only a few positive ones. Anyone?
Thanks

at one time i had ALL of the 10/22 10+ round mags.

the best ones are the OEMS.

the second best are the Hotlips.

I have the original Sanford 10/22 drum mag. it worked fine for the first few loads. after that. jambs.

same for the Ramline wind up ones. worked fine for the first few loads, then jambs.

the ideas are nifty, but dont work that well.

you may have better luck with the Pro Mags tho.

i have read the reviews also and backed off of what could possibly be a $70 mistake however in my experance with hi cap 10/22 mags in rugers that other factors can factor in such as type of ammo

my ruger works great with round nose ammo using hot lips but hollowpoints or any with a squarer ring fail constantly

Yes, the promag is garbage. Check out the butler creek steel lipped mags. They've been 100% reliable for me. The hot lips mags are ok but they seem to strip the rounds at a weird angle causing them to jam. Tactical innovations makes a decent looking adjustable mag that I have yet to try.

I bought one, I figured if it did not work it would still look cool..got mine kinda setup to look like a thompson..but I was actually surprised it worked pretty well. It jams a little bit, but seemingly no worse than any other hi cap mag. The follower does look like crap though.

Whoops. OP wanted to know about drums. Maybe only one person noticed my off-topic-ness.:s0131:

+1 for Tactical Innovations mag. (<broken link removed>)

I've tried the hotlips and the steel lips as well. My two hotlips wore out after about 10k rounds, but to be fair, I was shooting a lot of my dad's old, cheap, bulk ammo when I was using those. The steel lips are still going strong. but with the occasional FTF when they get gunked up after a long day of shooting.

If Im correct he was talking about drums and not mags. Ive been following this thread mainly because Im also looking for reviews from people that have bought and used 50rd drums.

My mag came with a note that said something to the effect that it needs some break in, so don't be sad. Also, the company I bought it from (at the gun show) said if it did not work, they would replace it. In general, I am not fond of promag, but I consider this a toy anyway. Like any .22, it seems to like some ammo better than others.

I've never used the ProMag version of the 50rounder, but I have owned 2 of the MWG Co. 50 round teardrop mags. They are absolute garbage IMO, the plastic around the steel feed lips cracked after 25 rounds through it. At first I didn't notice, but it started jamming, so I pulled it out for cleaning and inspection and noticed several small hairline cracks starting right by the steel inset into the plastic.
After another 300 rounds or so the cracks developed into full-blown gaps in the plastic. I stopped using it and sent it in to MWG for replacement. They were quick enough to replace it for me, but mentioned that they had never seen this problem before. :huh:

The second magazine just won't feed correctly and so I have a nifty $70 paperweight now.

I had read the bad reviews, but thought they might have gotten their act together by now. I bought mine recently (mid-August) at Gun Broker, and it jammed the first time I tried to use it. Then I looked at it closely, and the feed ramp had been machined way off-center, and had a chip out of it, about half-way up. I filed it to the right shape, and smoothed out the chip, but it still jams most of the time. The bullet to be fed doesn't cant up at all, and jams against the feed ramp. I've tried it with a number of sub-sonic, regular powered, and high-velocity ammo, both lead and coated, but nothing seems to make any difference. I'm going to mess around with it a bit more, but I don't have much hope of getting it to work properly.

Max
RVNvet

apparently, I have the only one in the world that works. Someone came up to me at the range a little while ago and asked me how I got mine to work so well, all I did was shoot it, and it smoothed up some with use. I also seem to have the only CAI CETME that works as well. On the other hand, I have gotten revolvers to jam, so maybe it balances out.

apparently, I have the only one in the world that works. Someone came up to me at the range a little while ago and asked me how I got mine to work so well, all I did was shoot it, and it smoothed up some with use. I also seem to have the only CAI CETME that works as well. On the other hand, I have gotten revolvers to jam, so maybe it balances out.

KTD...if you have the time, would you please email me a picture of the feed mechanism on yours, with round ready to load, so I can see what I'm trying to duplicate? Or post here, so everyone can see it? If too much trouble, O.K.

Max

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads