JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I keep repeating myself in multiple threads about the lack of real leadership in Oregon when it comes to defending our gun rights. Yes, we have OFF, but aside from getting notices to call, write and email, I just don't see that they have the kind of influence we need to hold Salem accountable.

We sit here an blame each other for not doing enough, not getting involved, not making a difference. And what does all that do? Nothing.

We are missing real leadership. Not someone to simply collect $$ and show up at meetings in Salem to share our side, but someone that can do those things PLUS can help pull Oregon gun owners together, to rally them behind a common idea and a common goal, with defined actions we can take, as a group. to really make a change in Salem. We need someone that the folks in Salem will really fear. Someone that could find a way to get anti-gun folks removed from office by getting pro-gun folks to take their place. Someone that knows the political system in Oregon, knows who to contact, who they can influence and who they can count on to fight for our side.

It will need to be someone that brings the various groups of pro-gun folks in Oregon together, not someone that isolates one group over another. They need to represent everyone - and if they're to be effective, all gun owners will need to set aside their personal differences and work together to support this person.

But instead of continuing to just talk about this, we may need to help encourage someone to become this leader. Someone that maybe has all of these attributes, but hasn't thought about becoming the leader of a movement. Someone with the right amount of encouragement, would step up and become that leader we need.

I'd like for this thread to be a place to throw out some name suggestions. I'm interested in helping to reach out to some of these folks, as I believe some others are as well. It's time to start a new movement, but we can't sustain anything without a strong, courageous leader to rally around. So, if you have names you'd like to suggest, and aren't afraid to put them out on the forum, please feel free to do so here.

My first name of interest is Rep. Bill Post. Is he a possibility? I don't know, but I like what I've heard from him so far. I don't know him and he doesn't know me, so maybe if someone here knows him, they'd be a better first contact. Maybe he could be that person. If not, maybe he knows someone that could be.

Please feel free to throw out your suggestions. If you're willing to help contact them, please note that too, if you don't mind. Just trying to brainstorm here at the moment.

The only one I know of is Radio Personality Lar Larson. He knows just about every pro-second amendment politician in the state, is very passionate about the 2nd Amendment and has a megaphone via his syndicated radio show.

Let's both independently call his radio show and pose the question to him

I already have on my calendar to call him tomorrow about getting the word out about impeding Intiative 43.

Reference how below.

WHAT CAN WE DO NOW TO STOP OR SIGNIFICANTLY IMPEDED PROGRESS OF THIS INITIATIVE MAKING IT TO THE NOVEMBER BALLOT? YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WE ACTUALLY CAN IMPEDE THEIR SIGNATURE GATHER TIMELINE!

I spoke directly with the Oregon Election Division Administer for the initiative process to understand the steps involved in order for the Chief Petitioners to qualify Initiative 43 for the November ballot. Why is this important? I will explain in a minute. Make no mistake we have a real opportunity during the initiative qualification process to impede their progress making it even more difficult to get the required signatures to qualify it for the November ballot!

Initiative 43 Qualification Steps & Timeline

Step#1: (10 days) After the Petitioners gather 1000 sponsorship signature and they are delivered to Oregon Elections Division the Election Division has 10 business days to verify the sponsorship signatures.

• Unfortunately the initiative petitioners were able to gather 3400 sponsorship signatures in just two days! Most stunning point of this achievement is there were only 50 people who were involved in gathering the 3400 signatures. "If" the Chief petitioners make it through all six steps involved in the qualification process just imagine how many signatures they can gather when the effort to collect signatures goes Statewide.
Step#2: (5 days) After the Election Division validates the signatures the State Attorney General has 5 business days to write up the Initiative draft title.

STEP#3 & STEP#5 ARE WHERE WE CAN IMPEDE THEIR PROGRESS TO QUALIFY INITIATIVE 43 FOR THE NOVEMBER BALLOT!!!

Step#3: ******(10 days) AFTER the AG submits the draft title to the Elections Department the public is given 10 business days to comment and object to the title of the ballot titled. Example: if the AG draft ballot is titled "Assault Weapons Ban" or something like "Promote Public Safety by Banning Assault Weapons" we can make a compelling objection that the draft ballot title is intended to mislead Oregon voters because Initiative 43 goes beyond so-called assault rifles. It includes a ban on most semi-auto pistols and semi-auto shotguns, and would also ban several bolt action 22 rifles because they are capable of holding more than ten 22 rounds in the tubular magazine feed.

Step#4: (10 days) After the Public comment period ends the Attorney General has 10 business days to either certify the ballot title or change it based on the public's submitted objections.

Step#5: (10 days) After the AG certifies or changes the ballot title based on the publics final comments. Oregon residents has five days to file a simple motion to the Oregon Supreme Court to render a verdict based on public's objection to the ballot titled that was approved by the AG.

Step#6 (3 days) Only after step 5 is completed and the ballot title is official can the initiative petitioners submit their November signature templates and they are approved by the Oregon Elections Department can signatures to qualify the initiative for the November election can begin.

===>> This means by submitting an appeal to the Oregon Supreme according to State Law the backers of Initiative 43 are barred from gathering signatures until the Supreme Court rules on the ballot title appeals. Speaking with the Elections Administer for the Initiative process she said that it could be months before the Court takes up the written appeals. THIS MEANS THE APPEAL MAY NOT BE DECIDED BEFORE THE JULY BALLOT QUALIFICATION DEADLINE!

I'm not a fan at all of Lars but it would show Salem not everyone is going to play nice. Unfortunately there is no way he can unseat Brown. She is a horrible governor but like Clinton, it just won't matter.

From what I've seen, white women over 40 drive this state. Is it possible that one who hasn't drank the kool-aid hasn't moved to Texas? For a rough and tumble state there are a lot of women and beta males in power. The new Oregon theme seems to be, Safety over freedom.

I'm not a fan at all of Lars but it would show Salem not everyone is going to play nice. Unfortunately there is no way he can unseat Brown. She is a horrible governor but like Clinton, it just won't matter.

From what I've seen, white women over 40 drive this state. Is it possible that one who hasn't drank the kool-aid hasn't moved to Texas? For a rough and tumble state there are a lot of women and beta males in power. The new Oregon theme seems to be, Safety over freedom.
You're right about women ! Go to NOW / Ceasefire and see for yourself. They took the last election hard that their beach didn't get in. They plan to elect women from dog catcher on up. We have five new people running for county commission...all women. Vast majority of women HATE guns.

Bill Post is a good guy, but I'm thinking his plate is full already.
Wouldn't hurt to ask him though.
I'm thinking a website to get the word out would be useful.
Someone with your drive and skills would be useful too, Maximim1
I'm way too old and slow mentally to be of much use, but I can critique some!
Gabby

The only one I know of is Radio Personality Lar Larson. He knows just about every pro-second amendment politician in the state, is very passionate about the 2nd Amendment and has a megaphone via his syndicated radio show.

Let's both independently call his radio show and pose the question to him

I already have on my calendar to call him tomorrow about getting the word out about impeding Intiative 43.

Reference how below.

WHAT CAN WE DO NOW TO STOP OR SIGNIFICANTLY IMPEDED PROGRESS OF THIS INITIATIVE MAKING IT TO THE NOVEMBER BALLOT? YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WE ACTUALLY CAN IMPEDE THEIR SIGNATURE GATHER TIMELINE!

I spoke directly with the Oregon Election Division Administer for the initiative process to understand the steps involved in order for the Chief Petitioners to qualify Initiative 43 for the November ballot. Why is this important? I will explain in a minute. Make no mistake we have a real opportunity during the initiative qualification process to impede their progress making it even more difficult to get the required signatures to qualify it for the November ballot!

Initiative 43 Qualification Steps & Timeline

Step#1: (10 days) After the Petitioners gather 1000 sponsorship signature and they are delivered to Oregon Elections Division the Election Division has 10 business days to verify the sponsorship signatures.

• Unfortunately the initiative petitioners were able to gather 3400 sponsorship signatures in just two days! Most stunning point of this achievement is there were only 50 people who were involved in gathering the 3400 signatures. "If" the Chief petitioners make it through all six steps involved in the qualification process just imagine how many signatures they can gather when the effort to collect signatures goes Statewide.
Step#2: (5 days) After the Election Division validates the signatures the State Attorney General has 5 business days to write up the Initiative draft title.

STEP#3 & STEP#5 ARE WHERE WE CAN IMPEDE THEIR PROGRESS TO QUALIFY INITIATIVE 43 FOR THE NOVEMBER BALLOT!!!

Step#3: ******(10 days) AFTER the AG submits the draft title to the Elections Department the public is given 10 business days to comment and object to the title of the ballot titled. Example: if the AG draft ballot is titled "Assault Weapons Ban" or something like "Promote Public Safety by Banning Assault Weapons" we can make a compelling objection that the draft ballot title is intended to mislead Oregon voters because Initiative 43 goes beyond so-called assault rifles. It includes a ban on most semi-auto pistols and semi-auto shotguns, and would also ban several bolt action 22 rifles because they are capable of holding more than ten 22 rounds in the tubular magazine feed.

Step#4: (10 days) After the Public comment period ends the Attorney General has 10 business days to either certify the ballot title or change it based on the public's submitted objections.

Step#5: (10 days) After the AG certifies or changes the ballot title based on the publics final comments. Oregon residents has five days to file a simple motion to the Oregon Supreme Court to render a verdict based on public's objection to the ballot titled that was approved by the AG.

Step#6 (3 days) Only after step 5 is completed and the ballot title is official can the initiative petitioners submit their November signature templates and they are approved by the Oregon Elections Department can signatures to qualify the initiative for the November election can begin.

===>> This means by submitting an appeal to the Oregon Supreme according to State Law the backers of Initiative 43 are barred from gathering signatures until the Supreme Court rules on the ballot title appeals. Speaking with the Elections Administer for the Initiative process she said that it could be months before the Court takes up the written appeals. THIS MEANS THE APPEAL MAY NOT BE DECIDED BEFORE THE JULY BALLOT QUALIFICATION DEADLINE!

That's a good idea. I don't care for phone calls, but I can write well and can certainly send him a message asking the same thing. There has to be someone in this state that can really work to rally the troops for the cause, someone all gun owners would be willing to get behind.

Interesting idea on the appeal. I know nothing of that process, but if it could be put in place, what a great way to put the brakes on these folks. Though I have a feeling any appeal would be suddenly rushed through just to get their agenda moved forward.

I'm also convinced if this ballot initiative fails, either to make the ballot or at the ballot box, that the 2019 legislature, assuming they retain the Democrat majority, will likely take up many provisions of this proposed ballot measure and just ram in through without any way for us to stop it.

Here is the link to sign up for notifications; Oregon Secretary of State: Initiatives, Referendums and Referrals. On the right side of the webpage click on the "Subscribe to receive email updates about Initiatives, referendums and referral then follow the sign up instructions.

FYI I forgot to update the photo to the current no# which is Initiative 43

546F2364-BC2C-41D4-8DC1-01B2001A00EC.jpeg

I know I have also been very vocal about this issue took a week to really think about it.

My own opinion it should not be an ex military, any gun shop owners or trainers etc. The mass majority of gun owners are none of the above. If we want Joe average to see who gun owners are then a semi-regular person that is pro-gun would be best.

A issue is we often eat our own young I saw this first hand when I was doing lobby work, people you thought would help saw the spotlight on you and and the petty games began. We have relied so much on people who really are not like the average gun owner so we are kinda clueless how to lead anyone thats not like us I have seen even small uprisings taken out by the larger groups even happens at NWFA so we need to get passed that. The other issues is clicks get formed and those inside are empowered they outside are ignored this too is a problem. To find the right person we must first stop attacking each other. And stop trying to create leaders where there are not any.
OFF does what it does, Kevin is not a leader he is very one sided on most issues insulting and talking down to the opposition is plastered all over their website thats not leadership we need, hmmm the NRA wow where does one start they are horribly organized and expecting them to lead is a joke. I see panic donators on here and thats a big problem telling everyone to donate to lobbyist wont improve leadership, if its not here now throwing money at it wont solve it. What we need is in the place no one shall speak of a think tank for this as really in a open forum hard to keep prying eyes from seeing a game plan, I can tell you ceasefire keeps everything they do private.

Last Edited:
I'm not a fan at all of Lars
Neither am I after actually getting in on his show once several years ago and discovering he is a 'master' at manipulating the conversation with a caller. I detected his attempt at this when I was agreeing with him on the issue (I cannot remember what it was about) but I recall he suddenly started to 'redirect' the conversation almost immediately when I started to present something intellectual that I don't believe he could understand. I was cut off shortly thereafter.
I mostly lost all respect for him (and I once liked listening to him) when on one show he actually SUPPORTED the control of public land by large timber companies and then kept talking about how 'it shouldn't take much effort for someone to secure the rights to gain access to the land and shouldn't cost much - maybe a $100 a year fee for access' Yea Uh, Huh - I have heard the stories of people attempting to gain access to controlled timber land and heard the potential fees for such.
Go ahead and implore him as an advocate for 2A rights but I'll bet if it does not is some way benefit his popularity he will not be a 'player'.

Can you elaborate?

It's a level of dedication that they borrowed from the "I'm the NRA" campaign, and taken to the next level. Hey

Negan in TWD, is a despot and a dictator, but he had inspired a loyal following to the point that his people had elevated him to an idea or ideal, that was necessary to the survival of the group. It transcended the man himself to a group identity.

I don't feel that way about Chris Cox or Wayne LaPierre or any of the NRA leadership at this point. They have become fundraisers and profiteers from controversy. Being the "best we have" in our corner losing battle after battle. But always a phone call away to hit you up for money to support their current manufactured crisis.

Trump was going to give us concealed carry reciprocity and HPA. He has partnered with the NRA to remove rights pertaining to the second amendment. There is no way I'm voting for the guy in 2020.

We definitely need some winsome 2A leaders that we all can get behind.

That's a good idea. I don't care for phone calls, but I can write well and can certainly send him a message asking the same thing. There has to be someone in this state that can really work to rally the troops for the cause, someone all gun owners would be willing to get behind.

Interesting idea on the appeal. I know nothing of that process, but if it could be put in place, what a great way to put the brakes on these folks. Though I have a feeling any appeal would be suddenly rushed through just to get their agenda moved forward.

I'm also convinced if this ballot initiative fails, either to make the ballot or at the ballot box, that the 2019 legislature, assuming they retain the Democrat majority, will likely take up many provisions of this proposed ballot measure and just ram in through without any way for us to stop it.

In my humble opinion, at this moment, weather its true or not, I do not believe saying "ah f it they will just ram it through anyways" is helpful, I have heard this crap constantly. I would venture to suggest not giving gun owners an excuse to remain apathetic.

Liberal media like to refer to people that don't agree with them as, low information voters. I made claims recently on FB and was called out on it. I provided some easily accessible links/videos and receive silence in returned except the one, that's semantics reply.

Unless gun owners are will to go back to the days of back alley abortions or being subjects of the state, every letter or phone call you make to the senators, governors and dog catchers should state, This is why I'm not voting for you. Even low information voters like us will get their attention.

It will need to be someone that brings the various groups of pro-gun folks in Oregon together, not someone that isolates one group over another. They need to represent everyone - and if they're to be effective, all gun owners will need to set aside their personal differences and work together to support this person.

This part here is key. Like it or not, Oregon is a blue state and politics is a numbers game. In order for this person to be effective they're going to have to be palatable to gun owners who generally vote D (and there are a lot of them in the NW). Anyone who has alienated these folks in the past or continues to do so won't be effective.

This part here is key. Like it or not, Oregon is a blue state and politics is a numbers game. In order for this person to be effective they're going to have to be palatable to gun owners who generally vote D (and there are a lot of them in the NW). Anyone who has alienated these folks in the past or continues to do so won't be effective.

That is a VERY good point Joe, people forget about that reality here in the NW.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top