JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think targeted Pro-gun Ads would help our cause a lot. I only have been seeing the NRA Ads on FOX. That's preaching to the choir.

I've brought it up in a couple of other threads and have gotten some feedback.

Local daytime TV ads are not crazy priced if you see local businesses doing them.

Hitting shows that target not your typical pro-gun demographic would be nice.

Some have said local, Portland/Eugene News TV and FM Radio will not accept such an anti-progressive stance in an ad.

If not, Cable Company Stations like Lifetime or Game Show Network or.........

Anybody know if this is something OFF has looked in to?

Is it something NWF could do with donations from members?

Last Edited:
Probably best to ask the man himself - let's tag @Kevin Starrett, perhaps he'll get the notice and may be able to fill us in on his thoughts on a public ad campaign. I'm sure many here would be willing to donate above and beyond the norm if we knew such a campaign would be run.

I totally hear the preaching to the choir aspect. What if we make a donation to OPB. Not really a commercial, but you'll get a name on the screen. Not to profile or anything, but I would guess that the average PBS viewer isn't much of a firearms enthusiast. Get in their living room.

I don't know if it helps in this particular effort, but if you shop on Amazon and use the portal smile.amazon.com, you can have a percentage from your sale (no extra money from you) donated by Amazon to OFF's education fund. It's free, you just have to designate where the funds will go - and OFF is on their list of charities. I've been doing that for about a year now.

broadcast and cable are so dead the future is on the net

For the younger generation, I would agree. But for many 40+, TV and radio are still very much primary sources for news and current events. Any ad campaign should target multiple outlets, both online and in the broadcast media. The point being that whatever was done in the past to try and reach the folks that didn't vote, or didn't vote pro-gun, doesn't seem to be working. So, what can be done this time to try and get more voters mobilized - contacting their reps, showing up at hearings, putting pressure on their local reps, with threats of working to get them replaced in the next election.

I don't know if it helps in this particular effort, but if you shop on Amazon and use the portal smile.amazon.com, you can have a percentage from your sale (no extra money from you) donated by Amazon to OFF's education fund. It's free, you just have to designate where the funds will go - and OFF is on their list of charities. I've been doing that for about a year now.

I like that idea just as long as we can be sure it going to get out and make a difference.
I hope Kevin will see this and consider switching gears to get the word out to those whom " do not " know about Oregon, her dangerous laws and potential ending of rights by the antis. I can say with 100% certainty what ever we are doing now to educate is " not working".

@Kevin Starrett,

For the younger generation, I would agree. But for many 40+, TV and radio are still very much primary sources for news and current events. Any ad campaign should target multiple outlets, both online and in the broadcast media. The point being that whatever was done in the past to try and reach the folks that didn't vote, or didn't vote pro-gun, doesn't seem to be working. So, what can be done this time to try and get more voters mobilized - contacting their reps, showing up at hearings, putting pressure on their local reps, with threats of working to get them replaced in the next election.

I have only really seen my influence affect the younger crowd that can still be influenced, the over 40 crowd is set in their ways, blinders on ....they dont make sayings for no reason
"cant teach an old dog new tricks"

the new social networking sites
Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Pinterest, etc etc
I believe we should all break down open accounts in the social networking sites and target our discussions there.
discussions in here about gun politics is almost moot, are we not preaching to the choir?

LETS CHANGE GEARS AND GET THE MOMMIES ALL PISSED OFF!

We should be spewing public outrage about the Oregon crooked legislation, secret sessions, phony emergency bill's, stripping parental rights...this 24-35 year old crowd is the new parental group that can be stirred up... but this dirty transgender surgery bill was so quietly & sneakily done to fit personal agendas that most arent even aware of this outrageous law

I mean after all there was little no No outrage expressed in here about the governor appointing "SPECIFIC" people to make the health laws that allow 15 year old kids get "taxpayer paid" sex change operations....your 15 year old child cant go to a tanning booth, drive a car, but can Now get their pee chopped up without your parental consent! thats bull*hit....predators abound

I think that the young parents and upcoming parents need to know that the current democratic legislation with their deviant agenda that they are getting taxpayers to foot the bill for their PERSONAL NEEDS CERTAINLY SHOULD BE EXPOSED
you just may find outrage towards the wacko governor and crooked democrats in THIS AREA.

LETS GET THE MOMMIES ALL PISSED OFF!
if the mommies will get 1/2 as heated as an old man like me .....we have an angle to turn young mommies with an approach which isnt gun motivated
EDIT:
WE NEED TO GET REALISTIC HERE.....its completely delusional to think you can hold on to your guns legally in this state if you cant stop the state from chopping off your UNDER AGE childs pee pee

Last Edited:
Some of the guys over at opencarry.org have been trying to get some kind of advertising for years.
Many of the transit authorities around the the sound have anti gun propaganda on the buses. In Tacoma they have 4'x7' posters with anti gun propaganda on the bus stops.

The guys at open carry have been trying to get some pro gun messages up. All requests have been denied because the transit authority says they don't allow advertisements.
When asked about the anti gun stuff they never really got an answer and the transit companies have refused to take them down.
We need to be partnering with major area forums and work together.

Don't know the cost but an ad showing a 20 to40 something single female sitting home alone watching TV when suddenly a thug busts in would play well on a station designed for women.

I've flipped channels and paused on Lifetime before.
Lots of victimized battered/raped women drama type stuff as well as other easy going programming.

Wanna change a Voting Mom's mind about Gun Control? Show an ad like Glock and Gunny above during one of those scary made for TV dramas where an X tries to kill a Girl/Woman in her home.

It plays to the Mom's fears and it plays to fears for her older Daughters.

Get the average Woman to turn Pro gun and we can win this thing.

upload_2015-11-12_10-12-49.png

Some of the guys over at opencarry.org have been trying to get some kind of advertising for years.
Many of the transit authorities around the the sound have anti gun propaganda on the buses. In Tacoma they have 4'x7' posters with anti gun propaganda on the bus stops.

The guys at open carry have been trying to get some pro gun messages up. All requests have been denied because the transit authority says they don't allow advertisements.
When asked about the anti gun stuff they never really got an answer and the transit companies have refused to take them down.
We need to be partnering with major area forums and work together.
It sucks that we're up against discrimination but I'm not so sure all avenues have been tried.

Anybody know if this is something OFF has looked in to?

Wit all due respect sir, Mr. Starrett is very approachable and easy to contact. If you don't want to go through the OFF web site or Facebook page, you could start a private conversation with him on this very forum. I don't mean to be rude, it just strikes me as odd that someone is talking about him and asking questions when it's so easy to go straight to the source.

We need activists with ideas, and you seem like someone with talent and ability to make a difference. Kevin can help to organize our ideas but we need to give him a chance by going through him directly.

Probably best to ask the man himself - let's tag @Kevin Starrett, perhaps he'll get the notice and may be able to fill us in on his thoughts on a public ad campaign. I'm sure many here would be willing to donate above and beyond the norm if we knew such a campaign would be run.
I'm not too familiar with messaging as I don't trade etc. I don't have much use for it and it looks different than it used to so I'd have to figure it out before I messaged him. I was hoping someone else here already did.
I didn't even know Kevin posted on here until yesterday. I'd like to hear his opinion on the subject though and I did quote him on another thread so he would have got an alert.

Is a conversation a PM btw?

Last Edited:
Wit all due respect sir, Mr. Starrett is very approachable and easy to contact. If you don't want to go through the OFF web site or Facebook page, you could start a private conversation with him on this very forum. I don't mean to be rude, it just strikes me as odd that someone is talking about him and asking questions when it's so easy to go straight to the source.

We need activists with ideas, and you seem like someone with talent and ability to make a difference. Kevin can help to organize our ideas but we need to give him a chance by going through him directly.
I don't have anything at the moment more than an Idea that wouldn't even be ready to present yet. That's why I created this thread. To see what you all know about it. Would be great if after a few days of Ideas got flowing Kevin could take a look at it and comment.

Some of the ads that I've seen may be a little too harsh for the mom crowd. I'm thinking that we could throw a softer message in there about the proposed laws doing absolutely nothing. As we saw in the ads by moms mad about whatever the ell they're mad at today, they appeal to the sense of sympathy as well as outrage that nothing is being done. I believe that pointing out that the proposed laws actually do nothing, we could start to publicly pull back the curtain on the political motivation of the antis.

I realize that this is very soft, and their real motivation infuriates us because it's simply dancing in the blood of the murdered children to achieve their own objectives. But it we do it slowly, others may begin to get the idea on their own.

I'm not too familiar with messaging as I don't trade etc. I don't have much use for it and it looks different than it used to so I'd have to figure it out before I messaged him. I was hoping someone else here already did.
I didn't even know Kevin posted on here until yesterday. I'd like to hear his opinion on the subject though and I did quote him on another thread so he would have got an alert.

Is a conversation a PM btw?

So, on this site, if someone is a member and you put an "@" in front of their username, like I did above for Kevin, it sends him an alert that he's been tagged in a message. That might get his attention and bring him here to respond. Until a few days ago, I don't think he was on NWFA - up until someone pointed him here since we were discussing OFF - and he arrived to give some responses.

But since there are certainly a number of folks that would like to chat about this idea, this seems an ideal place for that discussion - rather than a bunch of folks talking separately with Kevin, he can give us all some feedback here - it would save some time and maybe get the info out to a broader audience. I suspect Kevin knows some things about doing ads, mailers, etc., probably more than all of us combined, so it would be great to get his feedback - and maybe see if there is something we can do to help.

And yes, a "conversation" is a "PM"

I think I figured out the Conversation/message thing and asked Kevin to please look at the link to this thread sometime.

Piratepast 40, you have a point about some of the ads being too harsh and might turn some women off. But Politics is boring to most too.

Just my opinion but showing the folly of more laws that criminals won't adhere to, in an ad that shows a thug happy about more gun restrictions because it makes his "job" safer is funny and scary. A good combo.

This one implies danger is around the corner and if it happens, she is ready! Except during her workout. I guess she doesn't want to mess up the lines on her tight outfit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top