JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as training courses go, I've looked around a little bit but I'm still pretty fresh on that subject so I don't know who's got a good rep and who doesn't. Any suggestions around the Portland area? I'd probably go as far as Woodland or Salem for the right opportunity.
Not exactly close to Portland but this guy has some mad skills and likely has a pretty long waiting list but is worth looking up. His name is Kyle Rittenhouse and folks have attested to his skills on a nationwide level....

/humor :D

Welcome to Northwest Firearms. Enjoy the ride!

Welcome @AnotherMike ! Lotsa great guys and gals here and collectively a ton of experience and knowledge to be had and shared.

As you have started down the path of customizing your AR, keep an eye on the classifieds. Even with the current premium prices I still regularly see some GREAT deals on new and used firearms and parts.

I'd especially keep an eye out for ammunition, which I'm sure you have already seen is hard to find and expensive when you do. Without ammo your ability to train is pretty limited. I'd consider a CMMG 22LR kit for your AR to help keep costs down. They run about $200, but can quickly pay for itself when you see 5.56 at 60 cents per round and higher.

Zigging when they zag is the best way to stay ahead of the game when people are panic buying. Right now magazines are still very available and prices aren't too bad. That's going to change overnight if the courts uphold the challenge to the California "high capacity" magazine ban. You can find these on sale regularly at Palmetto State Armory frequently with free shipping in quantities of 5 or more. IMO you should plan on at least ten for your AR-15.

Think about the things in high demand that are scarce right now and what people aren't in a panic over now, but might be if this continues. Example the cleaning supplies that keep everything working. Slings are a necessary piece of gear that gets overlooked. Saturation will eventually happen on the other things, so consider going long now on what is available and inexpensive.

PSA aforementioned above also sometimes has great deals on ammunition, but that's very spotty right now. I have seen some decent, not killer, but decent, prices on the NWFA forum. SGA also runs some good deals. Again keep an eye on the NWFA classifieds.

Good to have you aboard!

Oh yeah I've certainly seen the IWI. It's out of my budget at this point so I'll have to settle with being jealous of yours.

Don't forget the KSG - it's a pump, but has twin tubes for ammo and you can select between them, so maybe buck in one side and slugs in the other. Also a nice short bullpup design. Saw one on the NWFA classifieds recently for $600.

Mine compared to an AR
1599167044778.png

Welcome to the site. You bought an S&W Sport II which is not bad. My work colleague has the original S&W.which does even a have a dust cover on it. Get yourself a sling and light for your AR first thing besides hopefully finding some ammo.

I'm not new to guns necessarily, I went shooting often with friends and family (well... before ammo was ridiculously expensive starting in the early 10's) and I'm pro 2A for sure. I've always been comfortable with guns and gun safety was priority number one when I was learning to shoot in my early teens (as it should be but not everyone is great about teaching these lessons).

I've just never really prioritized spending money on guns, I'm not a hunter and I haven't really felt the need to have a firearm for home defense. I have had the luxury and privilege of living in a safe neighborhood where the neighbors know and look out for each other. I don't have a lot of things that are worth breaking in for and I'm not a small guy so I've always been pretty confident that I could handle things decently with a melee weapon and a good flashlight on the off chance that something did go down. Personally, I saw guns as an expensive (and fun) hobby that I just wasn't really committed to spending money on. I'd love to get my FFL/SOT and have a cache of sweet tacticool full-autos to play with but I'm just not that rich :rolleyes:.

Well... here I am. These are uncertain times. Divisive politics, racial reckonings, coronavirus and all other things considered I'm just feeling a lot less comfortable than I used to. I'm probably representative of the reason that guns and ammo are hard to find now I guess. I'm the dude that has always been gun friendly but never owned a gun, til recently. I don't plan on every day carry, but I did also apply for my CHL so that I can when I feel the need. We'll see if I even end up getting it before 2021. From what I am hearing, they're booked out on appointments until then in my area.

Most guns and ammo are basically always out of stock, prices are high and lines are long so frankly the process of shopping and buying guns hasn't been as fun as I'd hoped it would be. I usually love shopping and researching and finding good deals on the perfect equipment that fits me but this has been a bit less enjoyable than other types of shopping I've done in the past.

I have no plans to stockpile as much as a few people I know have but I feel like I at least need to have a concealable pistol, a long gun and a shotgun at the ready. Hopefully I won't need 'em but I feel better having them.

Anyway... I guess I got a new hobby :s0010: Bye money!
Welcome AnotherMike. I fully get the sentiments about availability, back in April and May selection was still reasonable and ammo prices hadn't gone insane. But as you noted, many first time buyers have made it a sellers market. Don't dispair, with diligence and searching, you'll find what your looking for at a price that doesn't leave you feeling like you need a shower.

Be patient and don't over pay, that's my advice, and worth every penny paid for it. This drought will pass. In the meantime, the classifieds here hold reasonably priced gems. Take a look. I'd also scour gunbroker.com for the occasional deal.

I hope you find NWFA to be a home on the inter webs, I came seeking knowledge on a particular firearms and have never left. It's a great group here, even if we do pick on each other occasionally.

Welcome to NWFA, the greatest firearms forum in the inter webs and welcome to this dysfunctional family of firearms enthusiasts!

Don't forget the KSG - it's a pump, but has twin tubes for ammo and you can select between them, so maybe buck in one side and slugs in the other. Also a nice short bullpup design. Saw one on the NWFA classifieds recently for $600.

Mine compared to an AR
View attachment 744548
The KSG has been on my radar but I haven't seen any except on some heavy price-gouging dealer sites where they're listing them for $900+. Thanks for the suggestion and the pic. It's a good size comparison and I like the FDE a lot. Kel-Tec in general is high on my list but a lot of their stuff is out of my budget for the time being.

Welcome AnotherMike. I fully get the sentiments about availability, back in April and May selection was still reasonable and ammo prices hadn't gone insane. But as you noted, many first time buyers have made it a sellers market. Don't dispair, with diligence and searching, you'll find what your looking for at a price that doesn't leave you feeling like you need a shower.

Be patient and don't over pay, that's my advice, and worth every penny paid for it. This drought will pass. In the meantime, the classifieds here hold reasonably priced gems. Take a look. I'd also scour gunbroker.com for the occasional deal.

I hope you find NWFA to be a home on the inter webs, I came seeking knowledge on a particular firearms and have never left. It's a great group here, even if we do pick on each other occasionally.

Welcome to NWFA, the greatest firearms forum in the inter webs and welcome to this dysfunctional family of firearms enthusiasts!
Thanks for the reply!

I already overpaid a bit :rolleyes: .

I saw a M&P 15 optic-ready (meaning no sights on it at all) at NW Armory for $800 and jumped on it right away. Still awaiting the background check to take it home. I looked around and people were paying $450 on good deals on these last year with a lot more common pricing in the $500-600 range. MSRP is $728 or something so it was marked up even beyond that.

Still hitting refresh on Ammoseek to try and snag some semi-affordable ammo for plinking. Saw some pop up yesterday at .47 cents per round but I was on the phone doing some work stuff so I added it to cart but couldn't stop and complete the checkout. Once I checked back after my call in about 10 minutes, it was all sold out. Maybe next time.

Gun stores must be just raking in dough right now the way they're churning through sales at all time high prices.

Thanks for the reply!

I already overpaid a bit :rolleyes: .

I saw a M&P 15 optic-ready (meaning no sights on it at all) at NW Armory for $800 and jumped on it right away. Still awaiting the background check to take it home. I looked around and people were paying $450 on good deals on these last year with a lot more common pricing in the $500-600 range. MSRP is $728 or something so it was marked up even beyond that.

Still hitting refresh on Ammoseek to try and snag some semi-affordable ammo for plinking. Saw some pop up yesterday at .47 cents per round but I was on the phone doing some work stuff so I added it to cart but couldn't stop and complete the checkout. Once I checked back after my call in about 10 minutes, it was all sold out. Maybe next time.

Gun stores must be just raking in dough right now the way they're churning through sales at all time high prices.
Check NW Armory, I believe you can order ammo, in limited quantities, online and pickup in store. Ammo is the toughest part right now. I'm always looking. Not much out there... Watch the good deals forum here, folks post when they find good deals, but ya gotta be quick...

Welcome to the site. You bought an S&W Sport II which is not bad. My work colleague has the original S&W.which does even a have a dust cover on it. Get yourself a sling and light for your AR first thing besides hopefully finding some ammo.
Thanks for the reply and the feedback! I didn't know anything about the M&P series at all (I haven't spent any time with the AR platform, it's all new to me) when I bought it, I just knew it was S&W and so I was probably in good hands, I also knew it wasn't going to be available for long. After looking into it since then, it looks like it's a high recommendation for entry-level AR's through a lot of gun forums so I'm pleased with the choice.

I plan on getting accessories after I have it in hand and have some rounds through it to get a feel for it. Sling, handguard & light are going on there no matter what but I want to fire it bone-stock before I go messing with it so I can shop around after I get a feel for it.

Check NW Armory, I believe you can order ammo, in limited quantities, online and pickup in store. Ammo is the toughest part right now. I'm always looking. Not much out there... Watch the good deals forum here, folks post when they find good deals, but ya gotta be quick...
I've been to NW Armory 5 times in the last 3 weeks and they just about always have ammo in stock there, but... They don't have it available for online purchase. They're not pricing it up super high, but I got 5 boxes when I went in there to fill out my background check paperwork. Meanwhile, they have no stock showing on the website for 5.56mm at all. I think they just don't list it all so they can sell ammo with their guns.

Another thing about NW Armory... I've been shopping them for a couple months now. I refresh the in-stock items and scroll through to see if anything catches my eye. About a week ago, their online shotgun inventory went from about 140 guns to 4. I saw their stock when I was in there and they didn't seem to have a whole lot of shotgun stock but surely they had more than 4 models left in there. I'm not sure if it's a website glitch or if they're purposely not listing their inventory and holding it for in-person shoppers.

What!? AnotherMike! Great name and welcome!

Well done deciding to not rely on 911 these days. Good choice on the three types of guns too. Just wait soon you will need the truck gun, then the get home gun, then the long-range bolt gun about that time the PCC bug bites. Then worst yet someone lets you shoot their suppressed gun and you become a stamp collector*.:)

*You may already know this but if not, too own NFA items like Suppressors you have to buy a tax stamp the Feds for each one you own. Own allot of NFA items and your a "stamp collector".

AGAIN WELCOME!

I started lightly looking into some things to customize it and before I know it, I'm on track to order an adjustable gas block, free floating handguard, flashlight, 2-stage trigger and a stock right off the bat. But... I'm being good and holding off until I can get a better feel for the rifle fresh out of the box.
Some times it may be cheaper to buy a separate upper at a later time. I have a few tacticool rifles that all end up the same. I have one almost bone stock carry handle. It's light weight, works great and still fun. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an emergency.

Welcome to the forum, and I ( +1 ) any advice given before mine about getting more magazines for your firearms, because they do wear out, and sometimes they become lost, so having enough to store in more than one place is good.

Welcome. If you have time to drive South to Jefferson, there a a few smaller shops that still have inventory, hand, long, shot.

Checkout Black Flag Armory online..they are great guys, good smith, nice custom and stock firearms. They email their stock once a week.

Its a beautiful drive, come down and we can shoot your new gun at the Ashland Gun Club;)

@AnotherMike new PMags in Wilsonville for $11 each. No afiliation, just pointing out how great the NWFA classifieds can be

@AnotherMike here's fodder for that AR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top