JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't been to a gun show in many years, and never since I moved to WA. I have conducted many home or parking lot private gun transactions, but don't know how it's typically done at shows. I'm asking because I'm thinking of going up to the Chehalis show tomorrow and have a few pistols I could bring to sell. The Portland show is much closer, but I'm afraid the choice S&W revolvers I'm interested in purchasing will already be picked over (plus the whole across-states thing).

Anyway, do people (those who don't have a table) walk around with signs on their backs advertising what they have? Are these types of sales typically conducted inside the venue, or outside in the parking lot? Would I be allowed to carry a shoulder bag containing the handguns I'm selling?

I was at the Portland Show yesterday and it seemed like a lot of people were trying to sell their weapons. Also there seemed to be more browsing and less buying.
There is always a check in place to get your weapons cleared and zip tied, and you will be able to carry them around...........

To actually answer your question (and my experience is based solely on the CWI shows at Vancouver and Expo) - you stop at the front counter on your way in and have any weapons checked/cleared and the actions zip-tied. You are then free to enter (after paying your entry) and can walk around with it in a bag, backpack, slug over your shoulder with a flag hanging out of it, whatever you want. You can sell to anyone that stops you and asks you what you have for sale - be they a vendor or someone there looking (within the limits of the law of cours: cross-state sales, etc). Per the CWI " <broken link removed> " all transactions are to take place inside the venue, but I don't think they can specifically enforce you NOT to make a private sale in the parking lot (except I'm sure a vendor caught doing that would risk being barred from future shows).

The Chehalis show has a bunch of good ole horse traders there.My favorite show,but 150 miles away.It wasn't a bad drive from Tacoma.
Easy buy and sell.Usually some good prices and good selection.I just have to add $100 to everything because of gas.So I wait for our little shows.

Oregon law is different on gunshow private sales. Any private sale initiated at a gunshow, even if concluded elsewhere, MUST go through the Oregon State background check. This is done by telephone and requires a ten dollar credit card charge to complete. Many gunshow tables are run by private sellers who are not FFL holders, and they too must go through the same background check on sales of guns. The gunshow office has free "Blue Forms" to document all of the necessary information, and this also serves well as a receipt for both parties. The seller must keep that form for ten years to document the sale. Don't fail to take this law seriously! It is alleged that Oregon maintains undercover officers trying to set up "sting" sales at gunshows to catch violators............................elsullo

Just got back from Chehalis. Was OK, did find a Taurus PT-145 for $349 but what would I do with a 4th one of them? I was looking for a case of ammo, but not at the prices they had there. Buddy scored a really nice 10/22 with hammer rifled bull barrel and synthetic stock in beautiful condition for $300. He saw it first, darn!!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Oregon law is different on gunshow private sales. Any private sale initiated at a gunshow, even if concluded elsewhere, MUST go through the Oregon State background check. This is done by telephone and requires a ten dollar credit card charge to complete. Many gunshow tables are run by private sellers who are not FFL holders, and they too must go through the same background check on sales of guns. The gunshow office has free "Blue Forms" to document all of the necessary information, and this also serves well as a receipt for both parties. The seller must keep that form for ten years to document the sale. Don't fail to take this law seriously! It is alleged that Oregon maintains undercover officers trying to set up "sting" sales at gunshows to catch violators............................elsullo

And they do have patrols in the parking lots at the Portland shows to watch for parking lot sales.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

"Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State...Blah, Blah, Blah... A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector."

Does this mean a nonFFL seller has to use a same-state FFL to ship to an out of state FFL buyer?

"Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State...Blah, Blah, Blah... A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector."

Does this mean a nonFFL seller has to use a same-state FFL to ship to an out of state FFL buyer?

It only means that any guns that are not C&R gun can not be shipped directly to an O3 FFL (C&R license). Read the whole quote from "however"

So I went to the Chehalis show and brought two pistols to try to sell, although I was more interested in shopping for some S&W revolvers. As I was getting a gun checked at the door, a guy who had a table set up near the entrance scoped me out and offered to buy the gun before I could even get the case closed again!

My second pistol didn't sell, but it was was fun having people asking about it or doing the same with other folks walking around with a pistol rug, etc. I didn't find any of the S&W's on my to-buy list, and honestly I think the attendee's tended to have better offerings than the folks with tables. I think that guy who was spying on the check-in from his table was doing it right!

It only means that any guns that are not C&R gun can not be shipped directly to an O3 FFL (C&R license). Read the whole quote from "however"

Yeah I read the whole quote that I posted. Thank you for your assistance with my reading comprehension.
"Licensed collector" is the term I was questioning. Apparently it is referring to only C/R FFL as I understand your post.

So I went to the Chehalis show and brought two pistols to try to sell, although I was more interested in shopping for some S&W revolvers. As I was getting a gun checked at the door, a guy who had a table set up near the entrance scoped me out and offered to buy the gun before I could even get the case closed again!

My second pistol didn't sell, but it was was fun having people asking about it or doing the same with other folks walking around with a pistol rug, etc. I didn't find any of the S&W's on my to-buy list, and honestly I think the attendee's tended to have better offerings than the folks with tables. I think that guy who was spying on the check-in from his table was doing it right!

Why not list your remaining pistol here on the forum? It's free

Those table sharks tend to piss me off. They take turns standing outside "smoking" or "BSing" and buy stuff before it gets into the show. Its an accepted practice, but tends to always play out the worse for the young guys that come to the show thinking they are going to get some decent money out of what they brought.

But to each their own.

At the Chehalis show I saw a woman taking pictures with her cell phone, but before I found security to report her she left. Security at the check in table was really busy and I didn't see any others when I needed them.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews