JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hate to seem ignorant, but I need to get straight on something so I don't run afoul of any federal laws at the gunshow. Thanks in advance for any guidance shared here.

Gunshow sales/trades involving any dealer must be done with the background check and fee paid to be legal. Right so far?

What about private party to private party? And is it okay to solicit for that?

I often see people at gunshows with signs on their backpacks explaining what they have for sale or what they want to buy. Since, as an Oregonian, I can do private to private sales/trades most anywhere in the state, here's where it gets murky for me...

If 2 private people at a gunshow walk outside to a car to do a deal is it legal?

If they simply exchange contact info at the show and arrange a future meeting to sell/trade somewhere else, is that legal?

I'd basically like to attend a gunshow and "advertise" a pistol for sale that won't even be with me. I'm also looking for a .44 mag lever, private to private. Is that okay, or does ATF have a problem with me trolling for private contacts on their turf?

Any hidden traps or scams I should look out for beyond what common sense and reasonable instincts might dictate? Appreciate advice from those who know.

Hate to seem ignorant, but I need to get straight on something so I don't run afoul of any federal laws at the gunshow. Thanks in advance for any guidance shared here.

Gunshow sales/trades involving any dealer must be done with the background check and fee paid to be legal. Right so far?

What about private party to private party? And is it okay to solicit for that?

I often see people at gunshows with signs on their backpacks explaining what they have for sale or what they want to buy. Since, as an Oregonian, I can do private to private sales/trades most anywhere in the state, here's where it gets murky for me...

If 2 private people at a gunshow walk outside to a car to do a deal is it legal?

If they simply exchange contact info at the show and arrange a future meeting to sell/trade somewhere else, is that legal?

I'd basically like to attend a gunshow and "advertise" a pistol for sale that won't even be with me. I'm also looking for a .44 mag lever, private to private. Is that okay, or does ATF have a problem with me trolling for private contacts on their turf?

Any hidden traps or scams I should look out for beyond what common sense and reasonable instincts might dictate? Appreciate advice from those who know.
you can buy or sell to/from a resident of your state (In most states) no paperwork a dealer at the show can sell his private owned guns like anyone else if they are on his business books that's a whole different matter. you can carry a sign advertising to sell your gun that you have with you (Hey i got this gun out back if you want to buy it just come out back with me and bring a pocket full of cash,, would you go?) there are no rules that say you can not carry a sign saying what you want to buy.

If I remember right the deal cant be made on the property(read parking lot) without BGC being done even for private sale. off property is OK
get this: 2010uogl.jpg

mcathcart that would just be in Oregon as per Oregon gunshow law, right? Any private party sale in WA is ok per usual fed laws but WAC shows require the sale to take place inside the venue or lose your membership.

Oregon requires a BGC at shows for private sellers unless you leave the property.

This should be on a sign at every gun show. I always thought that you could private sale wherever, and I am glad that I didn't buy a gun (at 275% of value) from a guy who has it slung over his shoulder. I didn't know the rule, and if he didn't know the rules as well, we would both be in big trouble out of ignorance.

The discussion about 'closing the gun show loop hole' led me to think that FTF was fine everywhere including OR.
I'm glad that I'm better informed now.

This should be on a sign at every gun show. I always thought that you could private sale wherever, and I am glad that I didn't buy a gun (at 275% of value) from a guy who has it slung over his shoulder. I didn't know the rule, and if he didn't know the rules as well, we would both be in big trouble out of ignorance.

The discussion about 'closing the gun show loop hole' led me to think that FTF was fine everywhere including OR.
I'm glad that I'm better informed now.

This is a good reason to get the book or read up on the state laws.

Oregon law requires any sale that was initiated, talked about or from just a sign and phone # at a gun show even though conducted off site must go through an FFL with the required paperwork.

Pretty hard to stop but still the only "legal" way.

Oregon law requires any sale that was initiated, talked about or from just a sign and phone # at a gun show even though conducted off site must go through an FFL with the required paperwork.

Pretty hard to stop but still the only "legal" way.

Please post/cite the reference/statute you got that from as the book from above states that nowhere in Oregon law does it state that.

There are laws in place in most every state I am aware of that prevent private sales anywhere on the premises of a licenses FFL. That means if I see someone try to trade in a gun at a dealer and then follow them out the door and offer to buy the gun from them I am breaking the law. I would imagine these same laws extend to gunshows (and yes, all adjacent parking to said FFL does count). It probably varies a bit from state to state.

And that includes the parking lot!!!

Yep, forgot to state that the parking lot is still considered part of the property.
The book states that if you go to a parking lot down the street (burger joint) there isnt a specific ruling/law against it.

Yep, forgot to state that the parking lot is still considered part of the property.
The book states that if you go to a parking lot down the street (burger joint) there isnt a specific ruling/law against it.

I would worry about a zealous prosecutor convincing an anti-gun judge there in Multnomah County (and I know of at least two) that the "transfer" occurred at the show and it was just set for a later "exchange." :s0131:

But at the moment, you're right, the statute just says: b) "Gun show" means an event at which more than 25 firearms are on site and available for transfer. (emphasis added)

:s0093:

If this is such a common law ("most states" - from previous post) than why are anti-2A-congress-members fighting to make it a requirement in all states. Is the "Gunshow-loophole" already closed?

It bugs that 1A protected discussions can be turned into 2A violations.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top