JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there everyone, great site, great info.
I occasionally do computer repair work and barter with individuals for my services. Does anyone know if getting paid with a firearm from a private party would be in violation of any law? I am not a felon and am legally able to own. I know that I could pay cash to a private party with no problems and no background check, I'm just curious if since I would be paid for my services with a firearm if that would change anything. Thanks.

Ryan

I've never seen any law that says you can't. But couldn't you bill him for a certain amount of money, and then buy his gun for the same amount of money? If you had 2 reciepts, one for the services rendered and one for the firearm, it wouldn't really matter either way would it?

It is lawful to transfer firearms to private individuals in Oregon. As far as a work for guns/equipment is concerned, I do the same thing. Sometime people want/need computer work done but have financial limitations (tech work can start at $50/hr.) and a barter arrangement just works better. Plus no 1099's. :D

Only if he's being 1099'd for the work. I'm not suggesting that anyone should do anything to avoid paying taxes (yeah right :D). If so, then no government entity is going to care about what was given in lieu of cash payment, just the total amount of compensation. If he's receiving $1000 he needs to claim (and pay the appropriate taxes) that specific amount because his employer will report the dollar amount he received (again, regardless of how he actually received the amount).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the basic question here is can he accept items (regardless of what they are) for work performed. The answer is: yes. He will need to agree to the value of those items with his employer and get it writing so that there are no issues with the claimed value(s) of what he accepted in payment.

Only if he's being 1099'd for the work. I'm not suggesting that anyone should do anything to avoid paying taxes (yeah right :D). If so, then no government entity is going to care about what was given in lieu of cash payment, just the total amount of compensation. If he’s receiving $1000 he needs to claim (and pay the appropriate taxes) that specific amount because his employer will report the dollar amount he received (again, regardless of how he actually received the amount).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the basic question here is can he accept items (regardless of what they are) for work performed. The answer is: yes. He will need to agree to the value of those items with his employer and get it writing so that there are no issues with the claimed value(s) of what he accepted in payment.

Yes, that is the basic question and I agree with your answer. (That answer was previously given, so I expanded on a point that I didn't see mentioned yet... :s0155:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top