JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
I couldn't find a clear answer, so I'm posting it here.

Can I sell my firearms to a private party which includes high-capacity magazines in Washington?

If not, can I sell my firearms to a private party which includes high-capacity magazines outside of Washington? (wherever these mags are legal of course)

If 'no' on both, am I stuck with the magazines I currently have? What are my options of selling them?

EDIT- These are handguns, with a max of 19 capacity magazines (like a CZ Shadow II)

Thanks!!

Last Edited:
Can I sell my firearms to a private party which includes high-capacity magazines in Washington?
You can sell the gun without the magazine, perhaps advertise as a Bren 10.

If not, can I sell my firearms to a private party which includes high-capacity magazines outside of Washington? (wherever these mags are legal of course)
Yes, you can still sell them out of state, but will need to go through an FFL for the gun, mags can be mailed to legal states.

Hi,
I couldn't find a clear answer, so I'm posting it here.

If 'no' on both, am I stuck with the magazines I currently have? What are my options of selling them?

EDIT- These are handguns, with a max of 19 capacity magazines (like a CZ Shadow II)

Thanks!!
The mags you have after the cut off you can keep or sell to another state. MANY will of course be selling them to others in this state and nothing will happen. I personally would not. Sooner or later the AG will make an example of someone found doing this just because he can. This guy is a lawyer here and does many great video's. Lot of good info in them:

images.jpeg-88.jpg

The mags you have after the cut off you can keep or sell to another state. MANY will of course be selling them to others in this state and nothing will happen. I personally would not. Sooner or later the AG will make an example of someone found doing this just because he can. This guy is a lawyer here and does many great video's. Lot of good info in them:
I also would not recommend selling a 10+ magazine to someone in WA at this time but I doubt that the WA AG would try and make an example of anyone. It would immediately put the constitutionally of the WA statute at issue in a criminal case where the AG would have little or no discovery rights and the defendant would be in a position to sue the arresting officer under 42 U.S.C. 1983 for damages.

I would be careful.

SB 5078 clearly states:

"No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorize in this section."

That would include a WA resident from selling standard capacity mags to a person out of state or even posting them as available for sale on any internet website.

This might be helpful:
I do not believe that is the case, the "sell, or offer for sale" refers to WA residents.

How do you arrive at that? The statue says no person in this state and that would include non residents in the state.
Well, firstly, the state has no jurisdiction over interstate commerce.

Secondly, the definition of "distribute" as written in ESSB 5078 section 2 (37) includes ..."to any person in this state..."

Secondly, the definition of "distribute" as written in ESSB 5078 section 2 (37) includes ..."to any person in this state..."
SB 5078 also has a section though that prohibits online sales of "high capacity" mags as well under the consumer protection act. Which would make it a violation of WA state law.

See 05:35 time index in the vid posted above. Not sure how that "plays".

SB 5078 also has a section though that prohibits online sales of "high capacity" mags as well under the consumer protection act. Which would make it a violation of WA state law.

See 05:35 time index in the vid posted above. Not sure how that "plays".
I didn't watch the vid, but I read the bill. It only limits sales to in state purchasers, briefly. You can sell them to out of state buyers within the laws of the receiving state. So when it is stated about online sales, whether in state or out of state, it is about an in state buyer.

In addition, again, the state does not have authority to regulate interstate commerce. That is reflected in the bill wording.

It would be legal for me, as a WA resident to go to ID and buy mags for use within the state of ID so long as they stay in ID.

It stands to reason that it would also be legal to take already owned mags to ID and sell them to an ID resident OR a resident of WA (or any state) as long as the transaction takes place in ID.

It's not like a firearm where interstate transactions are regulated federally.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top