Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Private Gun Show Purchases?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by taylor, Feb 6, 2010.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Do purchases from non-dealers at gun shows still go through OSP, or are they considered a private purchase?
    Taylor

2. My understanding is that any purchase of a gun at a gunshow has to go through osp. What I was wondering is if you could just run over to the park and ride and do a legal private exchange?

3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

If you purchase a firarm at a gun show whether it is a licensed dealer or not the purchase has to go through a instacheck. this also includes any purchases initiated at a show. for example some guy walking around with a gun wants to sell it and you want to buy it, even at his home it is still considered having been initiated at the show. Stupid law but there are people that try to set up unknowing buyers and bust them, so beware.

4. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

anybody got a link to this law?

5. sultanofswat

sultanofswat canby, OR Member

my understanding of it was that if you meet a guy there, and wanted to buy his gun. that all you have to do is go off premises and make the deal and you are fine.

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Oregon statutes

7. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Statute is ORS 166.438, and it refers specifically to transfers at gun shows. Not sales at gun shows, not transactions started at gun shows, nothing but transfers at gun shows.

Didn't come across any cases indicating that courts have interpreted the statute differently. Also didn't look very hard.

8. Trlsmn

There was one case I remember where a dealers brother sold some guns after a show to someone that made contact at the show but I can't remember enough to get a good Google hit.

9. ZachS

I believe it... but he could have been prosecuted under a different statute.

Regardless, I think that trying to skirt this one might be asking for trouble - not a good bet for a buyer trying to preserve his privacy (I'm assuming this ain't about saving $10).

10. Trlsmn

Unfortunately people will do some very stupid things just to save $10-$20. :paranoid: I see it all the the time here in the classified Ad section with interstate FTF suggestions. If people think that the ATF wouldn't monitor a firearms forum they're fooling themselves, If I were an ATF agent I would!

11. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

First of all I think alot of free minded individuals would rather avoid the State Police check not to save $10, but to avoid handing Big Sis a roadmap to their potential survival tools.
    Anything to legally put an obstacle in the way of a gun grabbing bunch of theives.
    When England confiscated firearms, they took the transfer records and drove military around till they had them all. I could go down the list; Germany, Italy, Holland etc.
    Last week Leon Panneta (CIA chief), said we can expect an attack from Al Queda in 4 or 5 weeks and thats that. Just Brace yourself!
    The first thing that would happen in a case of martial law would be the confiscation of arms.
    Anyways who wants to be fingerprinted like some kind of criminal?
    Taylor

12. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Exactly....I guess anyone who wants to exercise the right to CC a pistol for protection has to..

13. C96

C96 Mid Willamette Valley New Member

At my age they already have my name on a whole bunch of firearms, a couple off of the books would be meaningless. In a couple of my purchases of used firearms I was a bit concerned about the seller and the NCICs check made feel better about the firearms.

Also I don't want a firearm that I purchased "on the books" being sold to the wrong person and have my name the last on the list.

14. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

Just move to Washington as long as you don't need Class III weapons....lol. FTF is not a problem, yet. What really sucks is that I have to transfer OR pistols thru a FFL.

15. Trlsmn

Here is a cut and paste from an unnamed attorney who I believe has given you advice in private in the past?

16. ZachS

There ya go :)

17. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

18. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I thought this was just a Portland thing...I didn't realize that it was an ORS.

If I'm reading this right, till looks like FTF is OK by two in-state residents, if initiated by something like this website or the Nickel Ads.

Keith