JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal in OR for a resident to sell you a gun and mail it to you directly without going through an FFL if you are also an OR resident? -A face-to-face transaction purely by internet as it were?

It appears BATF doesn't say this is illegal. Does OR state law preclude doing this (or WA, ID for that matter)?

Per ATF regs, it IS legal if it is a in state transfer. IF it it is a out of state transfer t MUST fo through a FFL.

"A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable (by USPS). A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Hand guns can not be shipped by a private citizen.............via USPS..........................................................

you want a reference go to the ATF web site .. I know an FFL holder that sent a woman to the post office to ship a hand gun post office would not ship it...So the FFL walked the pkg. over and the PO shipped it..I went around and around with the FFL about this ,Evan after proving it in black and white she would not admit I was right.... "A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun."

Interesting topic and not something that I had considered until now; opens up some new purchase options. From the seller side in this sort of transaction, what would make you comfortable that you are not selling to a prohibited person? Do you take their word for it, ask for a copy of ID with payment? I am trying to guage what a seller might be asking for and what I would be comfortable providing as the buyer.

just called the ATF and talked directly with an agent, longguns AND handguns MAY be shipped directly from one private citizen to another WITHIN ones state of residence, Oregon, i used as an example. this may not be true in another state. the rule about not shipping thru USPS is correct and can ONLY be shipped thru a Pirvate carrier, IE. UPS OR FED EX.

just called the ATF and talked directly with an agent, longguns AND handguns MAY be shippied directly from one private citizen to another WITHIN ones state of residence, Oregon, i used as an example. this may not be true in another state. the rule about not shipping thru USPS is correct and can ONLY be shipped thru a Pirvate carrier, IE. UPS OR FED EX.

Good luck convincing UPS or Fedex to ship from one private individual to another without an FFL on either end :s0155:

just commenting on the thread. i am not shipping, just wanted to find out for myself the laws.

I use the word "you" in the loosest of terms. Really it was for OP, or any other crazy person that get's the idea in their head to ship a firearm in the same state.

Redcap, have you actually done it?
I can list all sorts of reasons why I think a citizen SHOULD be able to ship a handgun easily... And I have heard anecdotally of an instance in which it is recommended to ship a firearm to one's self even across the country.

I can also parrot the anti's as far as how dangerous guns are and shouldn't be shipped. And I find that argument specious. It seems to me that it is simply anti-firearm propaganda and an agenda to slowly squeeze firearms from the hands of good and honest citizens.

Just my .02.

You could always just not tell them it's a firearm.

I have shipped many guns to other states(and of course always to an FFL) through FedEx. If you package everything and follow their rules on their website it's not that big a deal. I have never shipped a firearm within OR and it was always my understanding that only long guns could be shipped as such. I have no reference and I am not arguing the legality of shipping a handgun. That has just been my understanding.

Redcap, have you actually done it?
I can list all sorts of reasons why I think a citizen SHOULD be able to ship a handgun easily... And I have heard anecdotally of an instance in which it is recommended to ship a firearm to one's self even across the country.

I can also parrot the anti's as far as how dangerous guns are and shouldn't be shipped. And I find that argument specious. It seems to me that it is simply anti-firearm propaganda and an agenda to slowly squeeze firearms from the hands of good and honest citizens.

Just my .02.

Yes, I have.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews