JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If any business is collecting "sales tax" and not passing it on to the state, the Department of Revenue would like to know about it so they can explain the words "fraud" and "fines" and "jail" to said business.

If the selling party enclosed a copy of their drivers license, you should not have had to pay tax. WA is clear on this. However, If an out of state FFL was brokering the deal, and their FFL license was enclosed in the package, but no drivers license from the seller, you get dinged on tax. FFL to FFL gets taxed. Private party sending directly to WA FFL does not, as long as sellers ID copy enclosed.

BUT, some FFLs in WA that I know of, collect sales tax on guns mailed from private parties out of state, even though they are not required to. I think many of them are pocketing this cash for themselves. They base the tax on the actual price paid, or the estimated value of the gun, or the value difference of the guns if it was a trade. An agreed upon bill of sale (or trade) between the seller and buyer can be invaluable when enclosed with the firearm if you are dealing with a greedy WA FFL.

You can report erroneous collection of sales/use tax to the Department of Revenue. There's even a form for it. They will ask that you work with the vendor to try and get a refund first, but if you say the vendor refused, they can get involved.

Be advised this won't get you out of paying the tax, because it still owed to the state, but you can get the FFL in trouble if they've been illegally pocketing the tax because the DOR will know if they actually turned it over to the state like they're required to do.

UPDATE:
I pushed back when I went to pick up the gun and showed them the section on the Washington State Department of Revenue website that states.....
Licensed Washington dealers are not required to collect Washington use tax on:

• transfers between private parties or other unlicensed persons
I also brought up what a member here had said. I asked them how they planned to put the sale of that firearm on their bottom dollar at the end of the year considering they were charging me tax on it.
This is the final note that won my argument and I was REFUNDED the tax I was charged. Thanks for all the help guys.

I use Precise Shooter in Lynnwood, and Bullseye in Tacoma. Never charged tax by either on state transfers where firearms was being shipped in from out of state, including Gunbroker.

Again, find a different FFL and know the law.

Gunbroker is now charging tax, at least the ones shipping from a FFL. Most of the auctions I have seen lately state "Sales Tax collected based on ship to address."

Tax.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top